Race and gender swaps in movies and television

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Race and Gender swaps in movies, television, and comics: fresh, new twist to spice up a stale story, publicity stunt; or necessary to initiate change in underrepresented gender, races, and culture in entertainment media?

One of my favorite Stephen King books is being made into a movie. Doctor Sleep.

To give a very short summation, it is a sequel to the shining, and brings back an adult Daniel Torrence dealing with an ancient race of humanoids that feed on gifted people like Danny.

Speaking of race, in the book, Danny is white, as are most of the characters in the book. A little gifted girl named Abra Stone, is targeted by the bad guys, and Danny uses his gift to try and protect her.

She is described as a beautiful blonde girl with an Italian great grandmother, yet in the movie version, out of over 800 young actresses, they chose a young black female to play the role of the blonde Abra Stone. Why would they change the race of the lead female role?

People shat flaming kittens when they changed the race of “The Ancient one” by casting the great Tilda Swinton instead of an Asian male in that role. There were protests about that, Mordo who was played by Chiwetal Ejiofor(also great) instead of following the comics where he was a white male. Not knowing the comics, I didn’t know, nor did I care about this race switch. Hell, Even when the role calls for a white male, not changing that can generate anger. Netflix series “ironfist” has been blasted over the casting of a white male in the role instead of an Asian male-even though the comic book character is a white male. The criticism comes from “yet another white male adopting secrets of Asian culture.”

But why in the fuck would they cast a black female for the role of Abra Stone when she and her entire family are white in the source material? In The Passage, another one of my favorite books, they changed the role Amy Belafonte, aka “the girl from nowhere” to a black actress when the book describes her as a white blonde female.

They changed the race of Nick Fury from a white male to Samuel Jackson. Did this make much of a difference? Not really, I think Jackson does a good job as Fury, but my knowledge of the source material is limited. Johnny Storm cast as Michael b Jordan, which was a shitty movie regardless. In the new spider man movies, Mary Jane is played by a black female(Zendaya) instead of the red head we were used to.

They changed the race of Heimdall in Thor, who was played by Idris Elba, who is also rumored to be in the lead as the new James Bond. In the Thor universe, they also changed Valkyrie from a blonde to a black female. They changed little orphan Annie from a red head to a black actress, in a play in New York, Cinderella is now black with talks of making it into a movie. Hell, even Morgan Freeman’s character in Shawshank redemption is described as a white Irishman, but people who never read the book never knew about the race swap.

The super cute Zazie Beetz played domino in Deadpool 2, when the character was always portrayed as an emo-goth type in the comics. Halle Berry played catwoman, Jamie Fox as electro in Spider-Man, who is now a fat, most likely gay, Latino?

Captain Marvel was originally a man. Green lantern has been just about everything. In the hunger games, Cinna and Rue were both made black when they are not in the books, and there is controversy about Jennifer Lawrence being cast as Katniss because they believed that her description of a dark haired woman with olive skin indicates that she was supposed to be black. People on twitter accused the makers of the film of “White Washing” the movie. White washing is when you replace a minority character with a white character to make the movie “more palatable” to audiences. There was a time when movie roles for black characters were played by white men in black face-hell, going back to the Greek plays and those of Shakespeare, men played the roles of women by dressing up as female. Does anyone remember when bugs bunny did that? Pretty hot.

What men want, ghostbusters, overboard(the trailer was the 9th most unliked movie trailer in YouTube history and the movie lost $75mil), splash(not yet released), battle star galactica switch Starbuck to female as well as one other role, elementary changed Sherlock Holmes’s Watson to Asian female, oceans 8 remake of oceans 11(sucked bad), Thor now a woman; captain America is now black.

This list goes on and on, but there is too much fear of backlash to have a traditionally black character be portrayed as white. You will simply rarely ever see it. But race swapping seems like an attention getting grab when casting a traditionally white male role as an ethnic or female character.

When the race has no bearing on the role, or it has not been long established, it really does not matter too much. But when you have family connections and genetics to consider, such as Abra Stone being cast as black when the rest of her family is white, why do that?

Yeah... Its about 10:30pm and im not about to read all that.

It's all a bunch of sjw stuff

Yeah, it's a fresh new twist. About as fresh as Matt Lindland's nuts after a four hour grappling practice.

I still remember that funny SJW outrage a few years ago when Gods of Egypt's cast consisted of mainly white people and everyone was outraged.

Shortly afterwards, new research came out that the Ancient Egyptians were not only not black, but weren't even related to the people living in modern day Egypt.

Turns out the pharoahs shared more genetic similarities to Caucasians than Sub-Saharan Africans lmao

It's like when in The Hunger games when that young Black girl is killed and everyone freaked because they thought she would be White, when in the book it says she had black hair and dark skin.

<Fedor23>

I still remember that funny SJW outrage a few years ago when Gods of Egypt's cast consisted of mainly white people and everyone was outraged.

Shortly afterwards, new research came out that the Ancient Egyptians were not only not black, but weren't even related to the people living in modern day Egypt.

Turns out the pharoahs shared more genetic similarities to Caucasians than Sub-Saharan Africans lmao
no, the DNA studies showed that modern Egyptians are direct descendents from Ancient Egyptian empires. https://www.nature.com/news/mummy-dna-unravels-ancient-egyptians-ancestry-1.22069

There was a period when Nubians conquered Egypt, but their influence is now limited to southern Egypt and Sudan.

It's fine. It really doesn't matter what race they are. Tons of hollywood casting calls say "race unimportant."

It only bothers me if a character's race or nationality is an important aspect of the character.

Otherwise, I don't give a shit.

WE WUZ KANGZ

Idris Elba can be anyone imo TS. In fact he was also Kings gunslinger for The Dark Tower.

Just physical obsessed looniness. These people are not spiritual at all. Primitive minds, thats all. Que sera. Props to Elba for taking advantage, I truly like that dude.

It's not all identity politics/SJW crap, sometimes it's just economics.

Dr. Strange's Ancient one for example. It was switched to as far away from en elderly male Tibetan as possible due to pressure from China. China has become a very important box office source for marvel movies so it makes very poor business decision to keep it. Though I wonder, if they can re-write Ancient One as a celtic woman, why can't they rewrite him as a Hindu Yogi or something. Keep it non-Chinese, but close enough for western audience.

Race and Gender swaps in movies, television, and comics: fresh, new twist to spice up a stale story, publicity stunt; or necessary to initiate change in underrepresented gender, races, and culture in entertainment media?

One of my favorite Stephen King books is being made into a movie. Doctor Sleep.

To give a very short summation, it is a sequel to the shining, and brings back an adult Daniel Torrence dealing with an ancient race of humanoids that feed on gifted people like Danny.

Speaking of race, in the book, Danny is white, as are most of the characters in the book. A little gifted girl named Abra Stone, is targeted by the bad guys, and Danny uses his gift to try and protect her.

She is described as a beautiful blonde girl with an Italian great grandmother, yet in the movie version, out of over 800 young actresses, they chose a young black female to play the role of the blonde Abra Stone. Why would they change the race of the lead female role?

People shat flaming kittens when they changed the race of “The Ancient one” by casting the great Tilda Swinton instead of an Asian male in that role. There were protests about that, Mordo who was played by Chiwetal Ejiofor(also great) instead of following the comics where he was a white male. Not knowing the comics, I didn’t know, nor did I care about this race switch. Hell, Even when the role calls for a white male, not changing that can generate anger. Netflix series “ironfist” has been blasted over the casting of a white male in the role instead of an Asian male-even though the comic book character is a white male. The criticism comes from “yet another white male adopting secrets of Asian culture.”

But why in the fuck would they cast a black female for the role of Abra Stone when she and her entire family are white in the source material? In The Passage, another one of my favorite books, they changed the role Amy Belafonte, aka “the girl from nowhere” to a black actress when the book describes her as a white blonde female.

They changed the race of Nick Fury from a white male to Samuel Jackson. Did this make much of a difference? Not really, I think Jackson does a good job as Fury, but my knowledge of the source material is limited. Johnny Storm cast as Michael b Jordan, which was a shitty movie regardless. In the new spider man movies, Mary Jane is played by a black female(Zendaya) instead of the red head we were used to.

They changed the race of Heimdall in Thor, who was played by Idris Elba, who is also rumored to be in the lead as the new James Bond. In the Thor universe, they also changed Valkyrie from a blonde to a black female. They changed little orphan Annie from a red head to a black actress, in a play in New York, Cinderella is now black with talks of making it into a movie. Hell, even Morgan Freeman’s character in Shawshank redemption is described as a white Irishman, but people who never read the book never knew about the race swap.

The super cute Zazie Beetz played domino in Deadpool 2, when the character was always portrayed as an emo-goth type in the comics. Halle Berry played catwoman, Jamie Fox as electro in Spider-Man, who is now a fat, most likely gay, Latino?

Captain Marvel was originally a man. Green lantern has been just about everything. In the hunger games, Cinna and Rue were both made black when they are not in the books, and there is controversy about Jennifer Lawrence being cast as Katniss because they believed that her description of a dark haired woman with olive skin indicates that she was supposed to be black. People on twitter accused the makers of the film of “White Washing” the movie. White washing is when you replace a minority character with a white character to make the movie “more palatable” to audiences. There was a time when movie roles for black characters were played by white men in black face-hell, going back to the Greek plays and those of Shakespeare, men played the roles of women by dressing up as female. Does anyone remember when bugs bunny did that? Pretty hot.

What men want, ghostbusters, overboard(the trailer was the 9th most unliked movie trailer in YouTube history and the movie lost $75mil), splash(not yet released), battle star galactica switch Starbuck to female as well as one other role, elementary changed Sherlock Holmes’s Watson to Asian female, oceans 8 remake of oceans 11(sucked bad), Thor now a woman; captain America is now black.

This list goes on and on, but there is too much fear of backlash to have a traditionally black character be portrayed as white. You will simply rarely ever see it. But race swapping seems like an attention getting grab when casting a traditionally white male role as an ethnic or female character.

When the race has no bearing on the role, or it has not been long established, it really does not matter too much. But when you have family connections and genetics to consider, such as Abra Stone being cast as black when the rest of her family is white, why do that?
S J W
Get used to it.

FYI the force, is now female.

When the “force” never had a gender before??

While doing research, yes I did some, that was one of the movies brought up more than once. Post blackface era, that is one of the most grievous cases of whitewashing, followed by the quote “they brought in French, Swedish, and British actors to play Egyptians, when all they should be concerned about is finding quality actors.” Well, if finding quality actors is the primary goal, should it matter that they are not dark skinned? Fuck off.

For me, it has always been about quality and authenticity. I never watched gods of Egypt because the premise was awful and it looked really bad, but if I were to watch it, I would expect to see Egyptians and other historically accurate people of the region. Even a movie about Gods and monsters, I at least want to see realistic and authentic extras and actors.

This is one of the reasons that race and gender swaps piss me off so much. I don’t have to have a white nick fury to enjoy a movie, as his race has little to do with his character, but i prefer to have an as accurate as possible portrayal of the characters I read about in the source material. There is no legitimate reason to switch that race and the only reason they did it was for “diversity” which is a shit reason. But fury’s race is not as important to his character.

This has been an issue that has bothered me for quite a few years, at least since it has become so common place. And when the shoe is on the other foot, say when you have protests about the he casting of a white woman as the ancient one, white extras in that gods movie, people throw a fucking fit to the extent that movie producers simply will not change the race of any character from black to white now.

The straw that broke the back of the camel for me was the casting of the black female ad Abra Stone in doctor sleep. She is this little black island in a sea of her all white family, though they will probably make the dad black to try and explain it. I don’t give a fucking shit of this girl was the most impressive out of 800 girls. What if a boy gave the best performance they had ever seen? Would they have cast him in that role? Nope. Maybe the other way around, but they would not change from female to male anymore than they would cast a white girl in a role described as black.

My guess is that they had already made their decision to add some color to this movie, which tells me that it is probably going to suck if they don’t care to get such details as race correct. And I am guessing Stephen King must have signed off on this, which is funny because he always hated Stanley Kubrick’s version of the shining because he changed things. But he is ok with this? I just don’t think he cares anymore.

Can you imagine if they cast a white actor to be the voice of the lion king remake l? No, I couldn’t either because it would never happen because of the anger it would cause. Even though it is a fucking lion that doesn’t have race! But please, Hollywood and sjw fucks, feel free to muck about as you see fit.

Idris Elba can be anyone imo TS. In fact he was also Kings gunslinger for The Dark Tower.

Just physical obsessed looniness. These people are not spiritual at all. Primitive minds, thats all. Que sera. Props to Elba for taking advantage, I truly like that dude.

Yeah, I do too. He is one of my favorite actors working today. But that does not mean that I was happy when he was cast as Roland fucking Deschain, which was probably the first death knell to that movie(and thanks, I forgot that one but it was def top of my list when making this thread). As great as Elba is, his casting not only automatically fucked with the visual image that reads of that series spent dozens of hours reading-I read the series 3 times before that shitstain of a movie came out, but it also killed a franchise. That was supposed to be the first of several movies. Sure, there are still talks about a series, but can anyone truly expect it to be any good if it does ever come out? No, the bad taste of this movie will cause a taste aversion for any fan, actor, producer, or director that will always remember this movie.

But hey, that’s just what everyone needed. A black cowboy when the character was based on Clint Eastwood in the good, bad, and ugly. That is from King’s Own words when talking about where the idea came from.

It's not all identity politics/SJW crap, sometimes it's just economics.

Dr. Strange's Ancient one for example. It was switched to as far away from en elderly male Tibetan as possible due to pressure from China. China has become a very important box office source for marvel movies so it makes very poor business decision to keep it. Though I wonder, if they can re-write Ancient One as a celtic woman, why can't they rewrite him as a Hindu Yogi or something. Keep it non-Chinese, but close enough for western audience.

I read that comment from the director, but the producer, Kevin feige, denounces tgat as untrue.

But why should they have to spend so much time explaining that when you can’t even find much in the way of explanations for when they change a white or male character. They may give the typical bullshit “oh, they just blew us away” comment which is usually garbage.

I looked up reactions to the changing of Amy bellefonte, the little blonde vampire type thing from the passage, from white to black. Again, a series that many people spent a lot of time reading-read the first two 3 times and the last book twice. And you get a picture in your head of the hat this blonde girl looks like, maybe you pick an actress or someone you know to complete that visual image. You imagine what they look like as they get older(though she ages slower) throughout the series, and you are excited when you see that a series or movie is being made. You are skeptical, but still hopeful.

And then fox churns out one of your favorite books and casts a black girl in this most pivotal role. I would have been much more ok with a race swap with the FBI agent brad Wolghast who is played by mark paul gosseler(whatever the spellings it s Zach saved by the bell). But it’s fox, so wherever they can fuck something up, they will, and their tv shows are notoriously bad when it has source material to ignore.

And what was so bad about this casting is that there is a lot of diversity in this book and series. In the future, after the collapse of civilization(its a post apocalyptic book so it’s not exactly a spoiler) the main settlement is from existing survivors that got out of philly on a train and most of them were black, so almost everyone in the central storyline is of mixed race.

So instead of waiting for those moments to happen, they just go ahead and change the main characters race just because. I even pictured Common as Peter jaxon from the rest of the book-everything seen in the tv show takes place in the first 150 pages of the book.

S J W
Get used to it.

FYI the force, is now female.

When the “force” never had a gender before??

Well, why miss an opportunity? I always thought that midichlorians looked female to me.

The SJWs outrage about white pharaohs, the alt right outrage about the rumors of a black 007, etc. Both are annoying as hell and are just two different sides of the same coin.

Back