• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

R.I.P. BIGWAVERIDER The Greatest Sherbro of All Time!

We rarely crossed paths and there were only a couple threads I remember where we both posted, but man, his shoops and other works were the stuff of legend. So many times I've clicked on a random thread, seen one of his shoops and laughed my fucking ass off. He shall be missed. I wish I'd gotten to know him better when he was around. Rest in peace.

I still can't quite believe that he has passed, it's heartbreaking and feels surreal.

I can only attest to what so so many sherdoggers have already said about him only 10 pages into this thread.
What he put into this forum - both in terms of quality and quantity - was unmatched and that is saying a lot considering the amount of great posters and people here.
As so many folks have mentioned, his shoops have been absolutely amazing and the role he has played in making sherdog such a fun place via these shoop threads, can never be overstated.
It still is beyond me, how he, as a single person, managed to do the amount of work that the shoop threads and their awards have brought with them and not only did he do the necessary stuff at times when his message inbox had to have been close to bursting, he somehow still managed to make every conversation - no matter how formal the topic or reason for the conversation was - feel personal in a good way, regardless of how busy he must've been; he made it so that one felt welcome at all times.
I specifically remember this response of his, when i sent him a shoop of mine for a contest:
BWR_PM_Shoop_contest.png

I wish you were still here man, it breaks my heart to know that you're not around us anymore, but i hope you are in a better place now.

To Brenda, Patrick, Adam and the rest of Mike's family and all of his friends:
My sincere condolences for your loss. I never had the privilege of meeting Mike personally, so i have no way of being able to comprehend what he must have meant to you, nor what you are going through right now, so i wish for you to be granted the strength to deal with these times of loss.
It is tragic to say the least, that Mike has passed, especially at only 61 years of age, but i find comfort in knowing how beloved he was by all of you and i sincerely hope that you find some comfort in knowing how beloved he was by the sherdog community.

This is terrible news. RIP
pour-one-out-for-the-homies-olde-english800.gif

Shoop = photoshop
I was wondering if those of you BWR sent tutorials to would be willing to send them to me so that I I can start learning how to photoshop? I need to create a shoop and get this thing going. I'm excited to start learning. Let me know if I should post my email address.
Mahalo Sherbros!

Last edited:
I was wondering if those of you BWR sent tutorials to would be willing to send them to me so that can start learning how to photoshop?I need to create a shoop and get this thing going. I'm excited to start learning. Let me know if I should post my email address.
Mahalo Sherbros!

Sure thing man. I'm super busy right now working on stuff for the thread but I'll help you any way I can.

There is a bunch of great stuff right here https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-official-sherdog-shoop-tutorial-template-thread.3473011/ some of the links may be down but feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.

A lot of Mike's tutorials that he sent to people were made for a specific subject for the individual and they may not contain what you are looking for right now so if you could explain to me in a PM exactly what it is you are trying to do I can help you out better.

@Brenda Simmons Shaffer

I just wanted to let you know your brother was a special guy...he always made the shoop threads a place to be ..and he always had the best Frank mir inspired gifs.. i have one of his now as my Profile Picture in his honor ..thank you @Arqueto

He was a class act and a true artist ...i was always amazed with the shoops/art he displayed here and he made me.laugh many times with it... As someone who cant do digital art at all he seemed like one of the best to ever do it on here if not the best...

He will be missed .. but loved by alot of people here as you know

Sorry for.your loss ...really and truly

He was a really nice guy. Always made whatever stupid gif i asked just to amuse me and everyone else too. I loved his jon jones young guns and tombstone gifs and wish I had them saved. This place won't be the same without him. Rest in peace bigwave rider it is obvious you will be missed and remembered fondly.

We have such a surprisingly great community on here. There's that old saying about how you're not really gone until the living forget about you, and stop talking and thinking about you. Well here's to keeping the memory of our friends alive and honoring them, for as long as we can.

That means something.

<GinJuice>

A few years ago I had to get surgery to have my appendix removed and @bigwaverider was so kind and thoughtful he sent me a PM saying this

I just made this for you but kinda had second thoughts about posting it on the forum. I had to at least let you see it. :D

appendix-shawn-michael.gif

Thats one of the best appendix gifs ever.

<DCrying>

Ngl, this was totally unexpected. I dont normally do this, but the first thing after waking up today is coming on here for no reason, and found out this terrible news.
@bigwaverider was the the greatest shooper on here, and an even greater person in general. I'm gonna miss you dearly brother.

36 pages of tributes and condolences says a lot about how much this person meant to the Sherdog community. Making an impact on so many people cements a hall of fame legacy. He definitely made this forum better. Heal and stay strong friends and family BWR.

Back