Quick note about Renan Barao

Barao is overrated because Cruz has been injured for two and a half years? Sound logic

It was sound logic, you just didn't follow it. He's overrated because people act like he was the "real" champion when in fact he never fought his way to the top. It's simply silly to say he's the number one pound for pound fighter when he never beat the previous champion.

Barao will be back

Right now though Killashaw is the man

I am not saying that Barao is overrated, BUT, it has been proven that he struggles big time against guys with great footwork and technical striking.

On the basis of one fight? Let's at least wait until a rematch before saying anything has been proven.

On the basis of one fight? Let's at least wait until a rematch before saying anything has been proven.

No on the basis of glimpses of things he has difficulty with in his past fights, and the holes he shows in his defense.

Anybody who paid attention knew TJ had a good shot.

Whhen a guy goes undefeated and is so dominant for so long he starts to feel invincible and way too confident (Anderson aswell). I think the bouncy, happy and dancing Renan will die and he will become one scary motherfucker and get back that belt. Renan and Anderson are my two favourite fighters. One GOAT past his prime and the future GOAT learning from his loss

Barao is still a badass and one of the best in the world. Styles make fights, TJ is just a bad match up for Barao, just like how Edgar is a bad match up for Penn.

It was sound logic, you just didn't follow it. He's overrated because people act like he was the "real" champion when in fact he never fought his way to the top. It's simply silly to say he's the number one pound for pound fighter when he never beat the previous champion.

He fought every single guy who was available.

He could have fought cruz, but it would be his easiest fight to date.

It was Cruz who pulled out of the fight more than once.

How did he not fight his way to the top? It's not like he ducked Cruz and he had to actually fight for his belt, Dominick was a UFC champion before ever having a fight in the octagon. Barao actually fought for his belt and defended it three times, he's more of a UFC champion than Cruz ever was. Don't discredit Renan because Dominick can't fight

Not writing Barao off at all, and I bet you if he had a rematch with Faber he would beat Faber again, for the third time. I just believe TJ has the 'particular set of skills' to counter Barao well and beat him. Does this mean TJ can beat the rest of the BW division? I'm not sure. Let's see.

we just went through it with anderson - dude went from invincible to nothing on here - when it happens w jones, it will be even bigger prob bc hes unpopular and dominant

Not sure what you meant by "Silva is nothing on here". There are still an alarming amount of people here who foolishly think Weidman only got lucky (twice) and believe that Silva would win a third fight.

Barao nearly got KOed in the first, which he may have never recovered from. I doubt the rematch (if/when) will be as 1-sided.

Sherdog = The land of kneejerk reaction fugazis. Don't worry about it too much, once Barao wins his next fight they'll all be clamoring for a rematch and saying that it was a fluke. :rolleyes:

People can't just accept that sometimes shit happens and that it shouldn't reflect negatively on a fighter or discredit what they had done previously.

I'm in the Barao wagon, win or lose.

and I actually feel sorry for the smartasses who are now crying "overrated/Zuffa hype".

just lol. whoever thinks this is the case is sooo late to the party. Barao has been a monster and a top of the top p4p fighter for a good two/three years.

TJ fought a perfect fight. I've been watching TJ grow as a fighter while everyone else dismissed the kid.

Anyhow, I've also watched Barao fight. I think Barao just underestimated the kid. It's almost as if he watched zero tape and had no answer for the speed and footwork. Barao just looked poorly prepared. Not out of shape. Just not equipped with a proper game plan. That said, I can see TJ holding the title for a couple defenses before Barao comes back to take it.

Seeing a lot of kneejerk comments about Barao being overrated, overhyped, etc etc.

Just want to add my name to the list of Barao believers still out there.

You don't become overrated/overhyped by going 9-0 in WEC/UFC, and having dominant wins over Faber (twice), McDonald, Wineland, Pickett and Jorgensen.

Barao was rated fairly and appropriately as one of the very best in the business. No-one was saying he was invincible or unbeatable, he was and still is a superb fighter who has a very bright future.

It's difficult to back Barao to beat Dillashaw in a rematch, considering how emphatic TJ's victory was, but you shouldn't write him off. He is still a ridiculously talented and tough fighter, and if he doesn't get badly hurt early next time, he definitely has the skills to be a formidable challenge for the new champ.

For me, RB is still a p4p-level fighter and could wear UFC gold again. He needs to work hard and improve though, as Dillashaw was truly superb. 135 just got a whole lot more interesting I think.

War Barao. Still a big fan.

I completely agree I'm still a huge Batson fan / believer

He fought every single guy who was available.

He could have fought cruz, but it would be his easiest fight to date.

It was Cruz who pulled out of the fight more than once.

Every single guy available wasn't enough to prove he's the best in his division. And that you say Cruz would be an easy fight means you're an idiot.

How did he not fight his way to the top? It's not like he ducked Cruz and he had to actually fight for his belt, Dominick was a UFC champion before ever having a fight in the octagon. Barao actually fought for his belt and defended it three times, he's more of a UFC champion than Cruz ever was. Don't discredit Renan because Dominick can't fight

I never said he ducked Cruz. But he never beat the previous champ. How could he be the best pound for pound when it wasn't even clear he was the best in his division? Since Dillashaw just crushed him, it's obvious that all this talk of his pound for pound greatness is just talk.

And you're discrediting Cruz because he was the champion of the same division when it was under a different name?

Every single guy available wasn't enough to prove he's the best in his division. And that you say Cruz would be an easy fight means you're an idiot.

I never said he ducked Cruz. But he never beat the previous champ. How could he be the best pound for pound when it wasn't even clear he was the best in his division? Since Dillashaw just crushed him, it's obvious that all this talk of his pound for pound greatness is just talk.

And you're discrediting Cruz because he was the champion of the same division when it was under a different name?

I personally never said he was the number one pound for pound fighter in the world and I stated in my first post that such talk was in effort to promote the ppv and almost exclusively said by Dana who no one should take seriously especially when in promotional mode. It wasn't under a different name it was an entirely different Org and I am in no way trying to discredit or bash Dominick Cruz just stating the facts

Back