Quick note about Renan Barao

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of kneejerk comments about Barao being overrated, overhyped, etc etc.

Just want to add my name to the list of Barao believers still out there.

You don't become overrated/overhyped by going 9-0 in WEC/UFC, and having dominant wins over Faber (twice), McDonald, Wineland, Pickett and Jorgensen.

Barao was rated fairly and appropriately as one of the very best in the business. No-one was saying he was invincible or unbeatable, he was and still is a superb fighter who has a very bright future.

It's difficult to back Barao to beat Dillashaw in a rematch, considering how emphatic TJ's victory was, but you shouldn't write him off. He is still a ridiculously talented and tough fighter, and if he doesn't get badly hurt early next time, he definitely has the skills to be a formidable challenge for the new champ.

For me, RB is still a p4p-level fighter and could wear UFC gold again. He needs to work hard and improve though, as Dillashaw was truly superb. 135 just got a whole lot more interesting I think.

War Barao. Still a big fan.

Losing to TJ Dillashaw in no way diminishes what Barao was able to accomplish prior to the loss. It's incredibly difficult to go on a run of that magnitude in a sport where everyone loses. Any hate Barao is receiving now is likely just some d-bag trolling this forum.

Everyone on sherdog is overrated after a loss

Just wait until jj losses the collect shit that sherdog will take on him will be massive

Count me in, TS. Barao will come back stronger.

Last edited:
Honestly I think all this blowback is just because it was TJ and the way he beat Barao. If Faber had wrestled him to the ground and choked him out in the rematch, Barao probably would've had alot less people out there calling him overrated.

Last edited:

Just wait until jj losses the collect shit that sherdog will take on him will be massive

we just went through it with anderson - dude went from invincible to nothing on here - when it happens w jones, it will be even bigger prob bc hes unpopular and dominant

Barao will be champ again.

He's a good fighter that had a bad night. Maybe Dillashaw has his number, maybe that punch in the first completely knocked Barao out of the fight.

We'll see how he bounces back.

he got KO'ed by the guy who got KO'ed on TUF by the guy who couldn't even capture the 125 belt.

following me?

but seriously, Killashaw looked amazing last fight, even better than he did against Easton. Barao is still a great fighter, but he looked drained even before that overhand landed in round one. i feel that the cuts are starting to affect his performances. check out the pics of him with penn. both he and aldo are bigger than penn

Renan%20Barao%20-%20BJ%20Penn%20-%20Popo%20e%20Jose%20Aldo%20-%20Foto%20Ana%20Hissa.jpg

img-20140111-wa0000.jpg

Last edited:
I think he can take TJ in a rematch, granted he adopts a good strategy. Barao is a big and strong guy for 135, he can't give TJ the amount of space he did last night. As Fabver pointed out, the Nova Uni

He's a good fighter that had a bad night. Maybe Dillashaw has his number, maybe that punch in the first completely knocked Barao out of the fight.

We'll see how he bounces back.

I think it's both of those things. If I had to guess, I'd say he would do better in a rematch. In this fight, TJ's movement, speed, and combinations took him by surprise. I believe he spent the whole fight rocked and couldn't get his wits together and could never figure TJ out. I bet if a rematch were to happen, it would be much more competitive.

I hate that people are calling him "overhyped" because that's obviously untrue and discredits how good TJ Dillashaw actually is for beating him the way he did. Both are unreal.

THIS all day. Haters are quiet when dudes are winning.
One loss and they were over hyped. Always.

Barao wasn't and isnt over hyped, you don't get the president of the UFC Dana white calling him the no1 p4p for no reason.. ;)

Everybody loses, but that doesn't really detract from what they have accomplished. Dillashaw can only pray that he achieves a record like Barao. You can be the best in a weight class and beat everybody bad, but then there's that one guy you just can't beat, and he doesn't necessarily beat everybody else.

I am not saying that Barao is overrated, BUT, it has been proven that he struggles big time against guys with great footwork and technical striking.

I am still a Barao fan; he can make the changes it takes to become champion once again.

Back