• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question for those who have worked graveyard shift......

I work at night, I have never worked during the day as an adult. I usually take a nap from 6am-noon then another shorter one before I head out in the evening. It works for me...but most of my work is onsite for clients or doing work at my workshop. I took all of my courses at night or on weekends. I use blackout curtains in my rooms during the day.

Night shift sucks so hard after a few years. Seriously ditch the shit asap

Worked night shift intermittently for years. I always just fell asleep right as I got home. Shift work is rough, especially rotating. There were some folks on 3rd I never saw unless I was on shift with them. It was weird, like a whole invisible workforce. Some people loved 3rd though.

I just got moved to 5 days a week graveyard shift. (11pm-7am) I've worked them here and there but this is my first time working full weeks on graveyard. My question is when do you sleep? As soon as you get home or before work? Any advice? I'm struggling.
I used to work graveyard and I prefer lower rates as long as the company doesn't used these remote desktop/screenshot bs that most companies used. I love sleeping at night. I would check in during my shift, sleep, log out in the morning and do the job during the day. Rinse, repeat.

Soon as i got home

Anything else is just horrible

Say i got home at 7 am

Wake up 1 to 3 pm

Unless you sleep to 3pm that isnt even 7 hours of sleep bro! Say you fall asleep at 7:20 after a shower etc.

I mean you only need really 5 to 6 hours if you got amphetamines or good caffinee. There is the always the weekend to catch up

I sleep 5 hours a night usually, in early twenties i slept 4

Enough for me

I just got moved to 5 days a week graveyard shift. (11pm-7am) I've worked them here and there but this is my first time working full weeks on graveyard. My question is when do you sleep? As soon as you get home or before work? Any advice? I'm struggling.
You gotta sleep as soon as you get home, anything else is tough, because you get caught up in the goings-on of a normal day.

Ive been working night shift from 10:30-6:30 for about a 15 months. I was going to sleep at 7-8 am the first few months. The problem is I'd always wake up after 3 or 4 hours and need a while before I could get back to sleep. Nowadays, I go to sleep between 12 and 1pm. I sleep for 6 or 7 hours straight. Sometimes i'll go up to 9 hours and skip showering and gym.

No matter what time you sleep or how much you get, it won't feel as refreshing as normal sleep patterns most of the time. And some days you'll feel like shit no matter what.

I used to get home by 7.15 and then stay up till 8.30 and then sleep till 4-5pm.

Ive been working night shift from 10:30-6:30 for about a 15 months. I was going to sleep at 7-8 am the first few months. The problem is I'd always wake up after 3 or 4 hours and need a while before I could get back to sleep. Nowadays, I go to sleep between 12 and 1pm. I sleep for 6 or 7 hours straight. Sometimes i'll go up to 9 hours and skip showering and gym.

No matter what time you sleep or how much you get, it won't feel as refreshing as normal sleep patterns most of the time. And some days you'll feel like shit no matter what.
Yeah this is what I find too. Hard to sleep for more than a few hours at a time.

I work 12 hour nightshifts regularly. Sleep as soon as you get home. Train before going to work

It sucks man, I used to do it on and off but often not for weeks at a time (worked in data centres). I found I could go without the night sleep and just stay up until the next night but for a few nights I. A row it’s tough.

If I was tired I’d finish, have a few beers and a joint and sleep around 10am for a few hours, then maybe get up for lunch and maybe a nap after dinner and go to work. It sucks though that’s for sure

Worked 11pm-7am for 7 years. Would come home, have a meal, stay up until around 11 am. Go to bed and sleep til 6, get up and eat then hit the gym around 830 and go back to work at 11.

I found if I went to sleep right when I got to home and woke up around 3 pm I would be dying at work around 5am.

I work 5pm until 330 am. I've never been the kind of person that can just go straight to bed after work.

I'm typically home around 4am and go to bed anywhere between 630 on the early side and 830 at the absolute latest. The rare days I stay up past 9am I feel like shit the entire next day. If you haven't already, make sure you have curtains or something so you can keep your bedroom pitch black while you're sleeping.

Back