• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question for those who have worked graveyard shift......

You sleep during your shift, go home and have the day to yourself.

lol, i knew a guy after college who had a job like that. he worked night-shift at a data center. his shift was 12pm-8am. he would watch a few dvd's, then literally sleep till his alarm woke him at 8am. then he'd hang out the rest of the day. and it was decent money.

the thing though, like security jobs, they suck the soul out of your life. in jobs where you don't do much, or don't have to think much, they make you feel useless. it starts to mess with your psyche.

Don't go to sleep right away.
Wind down with weed and banana bread.
Study some sherdog.

Those hours sound good if you like to avoid other people.

worked those exact hours for 3 years. would get home, have a beer and a nice breakfast and go to bed with ear plugs. I lived in a very quiet location and would eventually sleep from 9 to 5. the problem was, since I was young, I would go out for dinner and drinks and then have to go to work.
that was tough.
good luck, amigo

that's the only way to do it, in my opinion. if you're young, and have the energy. otherwise, don't do it if you can avoid it. the older guys who do it, i can't fathom.

I had no idea what a 'graveyard shift' was but 11pm-7am is just a night shift so I assume they're the same thing but Americans have a weird word for it.
I've worked nights and when I slept didn't matter. It was all to do with when I got up.

There were a couple of options, get up early at 4pm, do stuff in the evening, go to work and then sleep when I finished. The other option was get up at 9pm, go to work and then do stuff in the morning after work and sleep when tired.

It's tougher in the summer because of the heat and if you don't have blackout curtains, blinds, drapes (whatever you call them where you are), get some.

When I first started Id pass out after I got home.
Later as I got used to it id end up going to sleep around noon or 1.
Its a bit of an adjustment and made hanging out with people or getting things done a bit difficult because I was functioning on the complete opposite schedule than most people.
Also met ALOT of fucking weirdos working those hours.
only things like truck stops would be open 24-7 I would be buying hamburgers next to pimps and meth addicts.

I just got moved to 5 days a week graveyard shift. (11pm-7am) I've worked them here and there but this is my first time working full weeks on graveyard. My question is when do you sleep? As soon as you get home or before work? Any advice? I'm struggling.

I sleep like 5 to 6 hours after clocking out that way I wont be to sleepy in the late hours of my shift.

The effects it can have on your life can suck but the actual work during the shift is sometimes better and more laid back. I certainly wouldn’t do it into my 30s unless I was getting paid great money. I have a lot of issues trying to flip my sleep pattern back into a good one.

I had a job as a valet in a parking garage for a nightclub that closed at 4am When I was 18. I would get home at 5am and be wired from all the running. I would go over my girls house and wake her up with a cock slap and blow off some steam. Then around 730 I would crash until 1, poor sleep though. Made great money but I had to quit because I wasn’t recovering from lack of sleep. Your body has a natural rhythm learned in the womb. I would suggest finding another job, it fucks you up. The only exception is if it’s a job where you can get sleep.

I had a job as a valet in a parking garage for a nightclub that closed at 4am When I was 18. I would get home at 5am and be wired from all the running. I would go over my girls house and wake her up with a cock slap and blow off some steam. Then around 730 I would crash until 1, poor sleep though. Made great money but I had to quit because I wasn’t recovering from lack of sleep. Your body has a natural rhythm learned in the womb. I would suggest finding another job, it fucks you up. The only exception is if it’s a job where you can get sleep.

Working in the Call Centers ruined ny health.

Its like you lose the energy to work out so you end up fat and depressed and next thing you know you are sick all the time from Asthma to tuberculosis or worst SARS!.

The Call Center I am working at in 12 smells like a god damn Hospital because of all the disinfectant they are using.

Starting my shift at 2am is the worst! Then you go socializing and drink booze at 11am

Do a 3 shift rotation, 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm-7am.

I basically stay awake for the 1st shift then I’m tired for getting in, usually sleep from 8ish to 6ish after that, never had a problem with it.

Some of the guys look like death warmed up though, say they only get 2-3 hours.

I'd go directly to sleep when I got home.

Get black out curtains.

Back