Question for the U.S. guys, was Wandy right to be concerned about fighting Stann?

m25105

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know on this forum, he's mostly loved, but is he popular among the casual fans too in America? Would defeating the All American Brian Stann have a negative impact on his popularity amongst them?

I know on this forum, he's mostly loved, but is he popular among the casual fans too in America? Would defeating the All American Brian Stann have a negative impact on his popularity amongst them?

it wouldnt really matter cuz Stann wins 10/10 times

I hope Wanderlei KO's him and I am from USA

No, I think Wand is more popular on here than Stann. Plus I don't see anyway this fight ends other than Stann knocking out Wandy.

No, I'm guessing most people would like to see either victorous. I would actually prefer to see Wandy take Stanns head off

he had more to worry about in terms of Stann's KO power than any perceptions among U.S. fans. Wandy is loved here and more well known than Stann to boot. while both are highly likable, it is rather ludicrous to think that people would think less of wandy if he beat up on Stann.

Wandy > Stann in popularity...not even close. Stann's a decent enough guy, although I don't warm up to the promotion of the military aspect, but Wandy's a legend.

I don't think people fawn over him any more cause of the veteran angle, but people like him. Carries himself well, he only drops the military angle cause the UFC promotes that angle as well (Stann isn't near as over the top with it as say Tim Kennedy or Colton Smith.) I know people that like him in particular, but it's because he's an exciting striker, not cause of the US veteran angle.

I also read his book cause I like books about MMA fighters. Dude is a legit war hero. Not to get into a debate over the war or whether US troops were justified, bla bla. It's a moral grey area at best, hopefully people stick to what TC asked. But what Brian Stann did for his squad deserves respect even if you don't agree with why they were there.

EDIT: That being said, war Wanderlei.

I honestly don't think most US fans would have given a shit as long as it was an entertaining fight.

I'd be willing to guess that most casual fans have a better chance of knowing who Silva is then Brian Stann. On top of that, I think most American fight fans are bigger fans of Silva then they are of Stann. As far as the outcome of the fight, Stann wins pretty easily I'm afraid. I thought Wanderlei's skills had started to diminish when he first came back to the UFC to fight Liddell. I think that even the Wandy that was starting on the downward slope against Liddell beats Stann. Wandy at 26 or 27 probably puts him in the hospital for an extended period of time.

The build up promos could turn the casuals against wand I guess, but he is known and loved in the u.s. more than Stann is. That being said, Stann KO's the current Wandy 9/10.

I think American fans have accepted Wandy as a legend and will always cheer for him. It would have been a neutral reaction. I think it's just a stupid fight to book though. Who really wants to see it? It doesn't do anything for either guy.

I don't think people fawn over him any more cause of the veteran angle, but people like him. Carries himself well, he only drops the military angle cause the UFC promotes that angle as well (Stann isn't near as over the top with it as say Tim Kennedy or Colton Smith.) I know people that like him in particular, but it's because he's an exciting striker, not cause of the US veteran angle.

I also read his book cause I like books about MMA fighters. Dude is a legit war hero. Not to get into a debate over the war or whether US troops were justified, bla bla. It's a moral grey area at best, hopefully people stick to what TC asked. But what Brian Stann did for his squad deserves respect even if you don't agree with why they were there.

EDIT: That being said, war Wanderlei.

This and it's not like its chael vs Anderson. Chael said anything and everything including stuff about brazil when it came to it. Still wished that fight was in brazil the weigh ins for that was crazy just Imagine how it would of been in brazil.

Wouldn't have hurt his popularity at all, he would have been classy either way and I'm sure he would still be loved as much as he is now.

I honestly don't think most US fans would have given a shit as long as it was an entertaining fight.

Exactly. What kind of fight fans get pissed off at somebody for winning an entertaining fight?

Back