Question about "suspect chins"

Yeah, I don't see how you can doubt that some guys have better chins than others, and it's very obvious that some guys could have taken the punch Cain did and been fine, see the Carwin and Nelson fights. The thing that gets to me with suspect chins is when people start claiming a guy has a suspect chin because it's never been properly tested, like when people talk shit on Jones' chin when the dude has never been knocked down, as far as I can recall. But it seems like here you're arguing that there's no such thing as a good or bad chin and the same punches would KO anyone, and that's just flatly false.

It's tough to judge because there are other factors. Like a guy's chin might not be that bad, but he has shitty head movement so he tends to eat huge punches. Anderson Silva might not even have that great of a chin. He's just so good at seeing shots coming that he doesn't get hit, and when he does they are not lights out punches.

"Chin" is used to describe one's ability to absorb headshots (or get rocked). It is the product of the lack of better term, since most shots land on the jaw/chin/face area. "strong/weak chin" is easier and catchier to say than whatever else anybody has come up with yet.

Just like how "Rocked" doesn't mean somebody was pelted with a rock, or forced to rock out. Its easier and catchier than "concussed".

@Saku- If we hadn't actually seen the shots that rocked them sure, your statement would be fine. We'd just assume they got hit with a nasty shot, since both have power.

BUUUT, we did see them, and they weren't that great of shots. Certainly not enough to warrant the level of rocked Cain was by them.

And it wasn't even that good of one.

Getting hit on or under the ear by my mom would knock you half retarded. Now imagine gettign hit there by Dos Santos. That was a nasty punch

Really? You can't tell the difference between the punch that Cain took and the semi blocked punches that carwin took? Cain took a fresh JDS overhand right to the temple.

Then Cain just doesn't have good defense. Either way, JDS is one shot from sending Cain back down the ladder.

That punch would have knocked anyone save Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson out. But not many fighters would have been caught by something so obvious with their hands down.

Getting hit on or under the ear by my mom would knock you half retarded. Now imagine gettign hit there by Dos Santos. That was a nasty punch

jds-ko-cain-velasques.jpg

Look at Junior's fist. I'd say this delivered about 70% of its intent.

Not that nasty, and neither were Kongo's.

jds-ko-cain-velasques.jpg

Look at Junior's fist. I'd say this delivered about 70% of its intent.

Not that nasty, and neither were Kongo's.

Nice pic. This is showing about half a second after the punching connected. Good try though.

That punch would have knocked anyone save Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson out. But not many fighters would have been caught by something so obvious with their hands down.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have knocked anybody out but Cain.

Crocop ate worse and made it to the third, only stopped due to impaired vision.

gtfo with this "woulda dropped an elephant" crap

Nice pic. This is showing about half a second after the punching connected. Good try though.

Wrong. This was as it connected, which is why Rogan called it a glancing blow.

Deny all you want.

edit: srsly, wtf in half a second Cain was on the ground. The shot CLEARLY landed with the thumb and small knuckles, not ever a properly delivered shot.

I don't really understand a few things. First of all if a fighter gets hit by his opponents overhand right, on his temple or chin, and gets KO or knocked down, how the hell does that mean weak chin? I'm pretty sure if that same fighter would hit any body else with a overhand right on the button the same thing would happen too. A good example is Cain. How the hell does he have a "suspect chin" when the same punches Kongo and Dos Santos hit him with would have done the same damage to anyone else. There are countless other examples when a fighter gets hit by a clean power punch on the button, which would have KO'd anyone else too, gets dropped then all of a sudden has a weak chin. Another example is Wanderlei vs Rampage 3. That same punch would KO any top LHW. Wand has no suspect chin. Discuss.

P.s. I think it's just the haters trying to talk crap for no reason. Brown Pride is coming for ya.

cain is a new ufc hw champion in 1 week

Wanderlei Silva didn't have it, but he has a suspect chin today. Or when he fought Jackson.

Velasquez does not have a good chin. You have to deal with that.

dos Santos by KO.

Did you see Carwin? That is a chin. He took like 3455135325211 punches by dos Santos and still managed to get up. Velasquez went out after like three or four.

Come on now.

Velasquez has lost once and you say he doesn't have a good chin? Nice!

It's tough to judge because there are other factors. Like a guy's chin might not be that bad, but he has shitty head movement so he tends to eat huge punches. Anderson Silva might not even have that great of a chin. He's just so good at seeing shots coming that he doesn't get hit, and when he does they are not lights out punches.

Silva also rolls with the punches.

And it wasn't even that good of one.

One knocked him down, multiple made the ref stop the fight. Anyways, how would you know it wasn't a good one? Have you been hit by JDS to judge how much power was put into that punch? I don't think so.

Then Cain just doesn't have good defense. Either way, JDS is one shot from sending Cain back down the ladder.

JDS didn't finish with one punch. It was multiple. ;)

@TS I hope Velasquez wins in the rematch but I believe JDS will get the win again. I am a fan of both, so I am okay with either outcome but I prefer one over the other. :p

Most people think that KOs are a matter of power+chin when it is actually depends mostly on timing and technique.

Most people think that KOs are a matter of power+chin when it is actually depends mostly on timing and technique.

Which makes it really amazing how everybody seems to refine their technique and timing against the same freakin fighters... lol

Cain doesn't have an iron chin but I hardly think there is enough evidence to say that it's glass. His problems are of a more technical nature.

One knocked him down, multiple made the ref stop the fight. Anyways, how would you know it wasn't a good one? Have you been hit by JDS to judge how much power was put into that punch? I don't think so.

Oh I see, so me having eyes and watching it is insufficient to declare it a mid-power glancing strike, but you having eyes and watching is PLENTY sufficient to declare it powerful enough to KO King Kong.

Crazy.

Back