Question about Rozenstruik's name (any Dutch 'doggers around?)

Koro

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Where does the name "Jairzinho" come from? Is it a real name or a nickname?
In Portuguese, "-zinho" means "little". In Brazil, "Jairzinho" is a common nickname to someone called "Jair". (Think "Borrachinha", from "borracha").
On the other hand, I've found a Dutch(-Surinamese?) artist also called Jairzinho.
So... what gives? Can anyone explain?

Suriname people often have ‘exotic’ names like that. Dutch people don’t really.

Jair = hair
zinho = little

He has little hair on his head

I just assumed his parents were fans of the great Brazilian soccer team of 1970

may be like black people in America having their own names: Laquan, Moesha, ...
Tyron-Woodley-1000x637.jpg

I just assumed his parents were fans of the great Brazilian soccer team of 1970
This might be the reason. I know people named Serginho and Gersinho and their names have nothing to do with Brazilian or Portuguese naming conventions.

Wait, are you surprised that there are a lot of Dutch and Brazilian influences in Suriname?

Wait, are you surprised that there are a lot of Dutch and Brazilian influences in Suriname?
Actually Jairzinho is not a typical name in Suriname. He said before the Overeem fight that lots of people had problems pronouncing it.

Dont't know about his first name but his surname Rozenstruik (Dutch) translates to (English) rose Bush :)

There are not many brazilian influences in suriname as far as im concerned, and the average brazilian knowledge about suriname is close to the average shergod knowledge about suriname, But his name is derived from a brazilian soccer player of the 70s, still not a common name in suriname i belive

It's not a Dutch name. Suriname is close to brazil so perhaps there some influence that got him the name

There are not many brazilian influences in suriname as far as im concerned

There's Brazilian influences in French Guyana, I'd be very surprised if there isn't the same thing in Suriname considering all three places border each other.

How do you phonetically pronounce Rozenstruik?

I would have assumed 'Row-zenn-stroyk' but I remember after UFC 244 Buffer saying it weirdly?

I know a guy in my hometown from Suriname decent who's name also is Jair, so I guess it's a combination from a common Suriname name with a Brazilian ending.
Cuz it's kinda funny to call a big guy named Jair "Little Jair". :D
Geinig.

There's Brazilian influences in French Guyana, I'd be very surprised if there isn't the same thing in Suriname considering all three places border each other.
Probobly in suriname but not the other way around it, the border of suriname with brazil is all amazon forest you have to take a plane if you wanna go to the other country. But hey i dont know maybe people from suriname are very influenced by brazil but the contrary is not true

Back