Elections Democracy’s appeal is slipping as nations across much of the world hold elections, a poll finds

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
BY NICHOLAS RICCARDI
Updated 2:05 PM BRT, February 28, 2024

Representative democracy remains a favorite system of governance around the globe, but its appeal is slipping on the eve of elections in much of the world, according to a survey of 24 democratic countries by the Pew Research Center released Wednesday.

While a median of 77% across the 24 surveyed countries said representative democracy was a “good” system of government, higher than any other alternative, a median of 59% told pollsters they were dissatisfied with how democracy was working in their own country. In the 22 countries where data was available from 2017, the last time Pew asked about democracy, the share describing democracy as a “very good” system was down in half of them.

“People do like representative democracy. But you see here in lots of different ways people are really frustrated with how it’s performing,” said Richard Wike, managing director of Pew’s Global Attitudes research. “There’s a real disconnect between people and their representatives.”

Across the 24 countries — all democracies — a median of 74% said they don’t believe elected officials care what people like them think. Only 10 of the 24 national leaders on the survey had favorable ratings from half or more of the public.

e04374d9bd92469e8c6b22d01b47e413.jpeg

But the alternatives were seen as even worse. Only six opposition leaders got favorable reviews, and a median of 42% of respondents said no political party in their country represented their viewpoint. People in the political center were more likely to report not feeling like a party represents their views.

The poll comes as the world’s democracies prepare for a titanic year, with elections scheduled in more than 50 nations that represent half the world’s population. That includes Indian elections this spring, European Union-wide elections in June and the November presidential election in the United States.

The voting comes as support for more authoritarian forms of government are on the rise. The Pew survey found that in eight of the surveyed countries, support for a “strong leader” who can make decisions without court or legislative interference increased since 2017.

os-iconicos-personagens-asterix-e-obelix-1491421976253_v2_450x337.jpg

Those countries included Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Kenya and Argentina, where Javier Milei, a self-described “anarcho-capitalist” whose supporters call him “the madman,” won that country’s presidential election in November, after the Pew survey work was completed earlier last year. Overall, just under one-third typically backed some sort of authoritarian system across the surveyed countries.

Support for a strong leader also rose in India, which stood out as the country with the highest level of support for that form of government, with 67% of those surveyed ranking it as a good system, an increase of 12 % from when Pew asked the question in 2017.

India’s popular prime minister, Narendra Modi, has been criticized for eroding that country’s democratic and secular traditions with his Hindu nationalist party. But the country’s residents also reported a high level of satisfaction with democracy in the poll, and Wike said the two factors are intertwined in India.

“These authoritarian models have more support there,” Wike said. “That gives authorities some foundation of public support they can draw on.”

The poll found support for a strong leader increased the most in Mexico, where it jumped 23% since 2017. At the same time, Mexico was one of three countries where support for democracy increased — Brazil and Poland were the other two.

Support for more authoritarian leadership tended to be strongest among those with lower levels of education and income, as well as those on the ideological right. Poorer countries registered higher support for autocratic systems, including military rule. Having the military in control of governing also was backed by about a third of all residents in eight of what Pew called more “middle-income” countries, such as Mexico, India, Indonesia and South Africa. Overall, though, military rule is the least popular form of government, with a median of just 15% supporting it.
C4814E6A-39FB-4744-9B04-08B5A6BACF98.jpeg

The U.S. is an outlier in multiple categories, including its support for more autocratic systems.

It was the wealthiest country surveyed, and while its support for autocratic systems was well below majority level — only 15% back military rule and 26% back a strong leader system — they were higher than half the other countries in the poll.

That comes as former President Donald Trump, the leading candidate for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination, has continued to speak warmly about authoritarian leaders, such as China’s Xi Jinping, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un and Russia’s Vladimir Putin.

Wike said the U.S. also stands out for its polarization over questions of whether more diverse representation would improve the country’s policies. A median of 50% across the surveyed countries believe policies would improve if more women were elected, while in the U.S. that share was only 42%.

Across the surveyed countries, a median of 46% believed electing more younger adults to office would improve policies, while in the U.S. that share was 38%, the second-lowest recorded after Japan. The U.S. also registered the largest ideological gap on the question, with 7 in 10 liberals saying younger leaders would improve conditions and only 2 in 10 conservatives agreeing.

While representative democracy was the most popular system, direct democracy, in which citizens themselves vote on major issues, was close behind, with a median of 70% saying it would be a good way to run their country. Pew also found an increase in support for a system run by experts rather than elected officials, with a median of 58% backing that model.

Pew surveyed 30,861 people in 24 countries between February and May 2023. The margin of error varied by country.

HD-wallpaper-going-down-of-the-sun-nature-sun-fields-soldier.jpg

https://apnews.com/article/global-d...cs-autocracy-bad95f3d53d0bb2c8d244f344654d1c7

Representative democracy is an outdated notion in my book. I can't say that the people who are elected are much smarter than the average person anymore. And given that the average person has the Internet and doesn't need to elect some smart guy who they trust to represent them anymore, it just seems outdated.

I'd prefer a more direct democracy approach with certain tweaks put in place. I always like voting for propositions on ballots and feel there should be more of them, done more often and on done on federal level topics.

Because it's not a democracy anymore. It's a highly managed system out of which the citizens are mostly locked out of and the choice is pre-decided. Voting is not really a citizen choice but a formality for the intertwined systems of unelected power to maintain the illusion. I can't think of one country with meaningful democracy.

The problem is that the West doesn't have real democracies. Choosing between parties that are bought and paid for by corporations, foreign governments, and elites in the shadows is not democracy, especially in the case of America where there are only two real parties. Politicians running on something and not fulfilling their campaign promises or even trying to isn't democracy either, it's fraud. These clowns aren't representing their constituents, they're not even pretending to in most cases at this point.

Because it's not a democracy anymore. It's a highly managed system out of which the citizens are mostly locked out of and the choice is pre-decided. Voting is not really a citizen choice but a formality for the intertwined systems of unelected power to maintain the illusion. I can't think of one country with meaningful democracy.
Unelected bureaucrats and big money donors run everything.

Switzerland is probably the only functioning democracy on the planet. The rest are completely ruled by oligarchies.

Can I ask then.....

Why do you guys keep voting for shit stain Republicans like the ones in Ohio... you know, the ones that tried their damnedest to block the abortion ballot initiative?

Can I ask then.....

Why do you guys keep voting for shit stain Republicans like the ones in Ohio... you know, the ones that tried their damnedest to block the abortion ballot initiative?
Ask yourself that question. You seem to be the only one arguing that “your team” is better.

Switzerland is probably the only functioning democracy on the planet. The rest are completely ruled by oligarchies.

What about the scandinavian ones. Finland-Sweden-Norway

Well no shit. Can anybody name any a "news" source that is just a disinterested observer whose vote you couldn't guess? Just in the presidency, 2028 will 16 years since the last election that wasn't openly rigged with spying on campaign, last minute rule changes and mass censorship, and the ruling party trying to prosecute and kick the leading candidate off the ballot to install an 82 year old with dementia to start a 2nd term because the people you can theoretically "vote out" aren't even the ones making decisions. Cocaine Mitch short circuits mid sentence, Diane Feinstein was getting wheeled in by staffers at age 90, I wouldn't hire half of our "representatives" to clean my gutters.

We don't have a "democracy", we live in an oligarchy. This is from 10 years ago.

"The central point that emerges from our research is that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence,”​

Last edited:

And the obvious solution is to make a billionaire dictator.

Why do you guys vote for shit stain Democrats who don't know what a woman is?

The ridiculousness goes both ways.

Your post is a highlight of the issue.

You think that blocking a vote of the citizens is the same thing as something you just merely disagree with...

Those two things aren't at all comparible

Representative democracy is an outdated notion in my book. I can't say that the people who are elected are much smarter than the average person anymore. And given that the average person has the Internet and doesn't need to elect some smart guy who they trust to represent them anymore, it just seems outdated.

I'd prefer a more direct democracy approach with certain tweaks put in place. I always like voting for propositions on ballots and feel there should be more of them, done more often and on done on federal level topics.
in some ways, we have this, with the propositions, which is often bullshit, but in some cases, representative would be better

Can I ask then.....

I'm euro, I'm not voting in America

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back