Question about BJJ Black Belt Ranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Monster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay I'm going to have a hard time wording this question so bare with me here.

First of all is there an organization that keeps track of all the BJJ Black Belts?
I know of a few but I didn't know if there was like a supreme ruler on this or not.

Second of all does it matter who ranks you on your lower level belts?
Like say I want a Black Belt in BJJ and Rickson Gracie gave me my Blue, Purple and Brown belts but Jacare gave me my Black Belt, would it matter to that organization or to any one in the BJJ community?

Thanks,
The Man Monster

CBJJ is probably the closest out there.

No, as long as they are all recognized.

it would'nt matter who hands you out the belt. most blues/purples/browns aren't even registered.

there are two world federations (cbjj and cbjjo) but you would'nt be registered in those unless you went to compete in the mundiais. if you compete at a national or regional level, there should be a national federation for it. but all that is bull shit, because all they whant is money, you have to pay them to register and then you have an anual fee to stay in registered

So then it is possible to have a Black Belt in BJJ without being registered?
Thats gay as fuck, I thought/was hoping that somebody looked over it to prevent fake ass teachers from pretending to be skilled.... :-(

If Jacare or whoever blackbelt instructor gave you your black belt, then ask him where can you register for a major BJJ organization.

what ludwig said, but not all BB register. as long as he comes from a solid team, or a solid professor it should'nt be a problem.

kimurense said:
there are two world federations (cbjj and cbjjo) but you would'nt be registered in those unless you went to compete in the mundiais. if you compete at a national or regional level, there should be a national federation for it. but all that is bull shit, because all they whant is money, you have to pay them to register and then you have an anual fee to stay in registered

I don't think this is correct. You have omitted the Sao Paulo Jiu Jitsu Federation (Federa

Now I don't have a Black Belt, it was just a question because I am thinking of switching schools and I wanted to know if some where down the line it would effect me.

kimurense said:
it would'nt matter who hands you out the belt. most blues/purples/browns aren't even registered.

So you can't just register just to say your registered, you have to compete?

Sorry for the BS questions but I hope to obtain high rank one day and wanted to know who has the best credintials to register with.

I have another question about black belts. How long after you meet someone do you tell them you're a blackbelt?

The Man Monster said:
Now I don't have a Black Belt, it was just a question because I am thinking of switching schools and I wanted to know if some where down the line it would effect me.
As long as any belts you received by the previous school is recognized by the new one, thats not a problem.

The problem might reside why you're changing schools. If it has nothing to do with a location issue, it may be looked upon as dishonorable or disrespectful.

The Man Monster said:
So you can't just register just to say your registered, you have to compete?

Sorry for the BS questions but I hope to obtain high rank one day and wanted to know who has the best credintials to register with.

Just train and have fun. Don't worry so much. Fretting over which organization has the best credentials is a waste of time. Just find a good instructor in a gym where you are having fun and learning. That's all you need to worry about. There is no organization in the USA that you have to register with. If you got to Brazil to compete, then depending on the organization that is doing the tournament, you MAY have to register, but don't worry about that until you are there.

BrandeisBJJ said:
I have another question about black belts. How long after you meet someone do you tell them you're a blackbelt?

Ha! Usually within the first 30 seconds.

ArTofF16hT1ng said:
I also heard a guy (won't say his name) got his BB under Rigan Machado.

Apparently Machado's want a %'ed of all their BB's income (if they open their own school) because they got their BB under a Machado?

So if you don't pay up then you get black listed.

But apparently its bull because the students themselves paid for all their own training to get their BB so its shady, should they have to double pay?
I believe my instructor, under Marcus Soares, does the same to be recognized as a Marcus Soares affiliate. Granted, my instructor's not a black belt yet - he's a purple belt - but I think anyone training under their own instructor would be paying a small fee, especially if you're advertising under Gracie Barra or something.

ArTofF16hT1ng said:
I also heard a guy (won't say his name) got his BB under Rigan Machado.

Apparently Machado's want a %'ed of all their BB's income (if they open their own school) because they got their BB under a Machado?

So if you don't pay up then you get black listed.

But apparently its bull because the students themselves paid for all their own training to get their BB so its shady, should they have to double pay?

If they are using the name"machado Jiu jitsu" then it's pretty normal to pay somethign from what I understand. It's an affiliate school.

The whole paying thing is because you're advertising on those people's names... If you just went and started your own school, it probably doesn't effect much, but I'm sure there would be a bitterness in that you got your BB, and then went and became a competitor for students.

It's a double edged sword, really... If you DON'T go under their name, then there's no reason to pay, but it comes off as shady that you learned everything form this person, then open up shop across the street and start taking away business from the person you learned from. Conversely, you paid for all that training, and now you'd be paying to teach someone elses style.

If you get your BB and move to another state or something, then hey, no harm no foul, but if you want to open a school and make money, slapping a big name like Gracie, Machado, or whatever on your school pulls in more business, and there's no reason they shouldn't get paid.

To the thread starter... If you're woried about "starting over" every time you change schools, that's understandable... but if you train BJJ, you probably realize that, once on the mat, it's pretty easy to tell a blue from a purple and such. You show up at the new school, say "I'm a blue belt", and the first time you're all rolling, you're getting smoked by White Belts and have lousy technique, then yeah, they should be like "Why don't you just wear this white belt until you get adapted to our style..." Conversely, if you're a blue and you show up and smoke all the blues at the new school and are putting together all the techniques well, maybe the new school will promote you faster than the old one was going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back