PWD 1015: #MOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon Moxley has got unfinished business in 2022, you can believe that

2ae899ab98ab1852879da8a870cb8c8760f9d3e3.gifv

kenny-omega-jon-moxley.gif

I have a feeling we are going to see him come back in the best shape of his life.

For me, MOTY was Daby Allin vs. MJF at Full Gear.

• Great story telling that both built heat and developed characters (MJF talking about the car crash that killed Darby's uncle and made Darby go straight edge).
  • Clear baby face v. heel dynamic.
  • Outcome was in doubt. I really didn't know who was going over. Believable false finishes.
  • Real stakes, as a win would move either guy up into the clear upper echelon of the company.
  • Incredible pace. 25 minutes of seamless action that felt like 15.
  • Great psychology with MJF working on Darby's back while selling his own in match knee injury. Great selling from both guys.
  • Innovative offense that looked tight and believable.
  • Blended mat wrestling with high impact moves incredible well.
  • Worked acrobatic wrestling into the match in a way that actually enhanced it rather than distracted with obvious choreography.
  • Showed MJF can be every bit as good in the ring as on the mic.
  • The right guy went over with the right finish.
  • In one night, totally resuscitated MJF from the bloated, ridiculous feud with Chris Jericho.
I really can't say enough good about this match. I think it stole the show at the one of the best PPVs of the year.

I felt something similar watching it to what I remember feeling when I watched Bret Hart v. Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 91 way back when. There has to be something magical about a match for it to spark that kind of association.

I enjoyed this match from start to finish more than any other match of the year and came out if it caring a LOT more about both guys.

Last edited:
This is terrible news, Big Time Wrestling has been putting on awewome shows here in the Bay Area for a few decades and a lot of future stars have passed through that promotion
WWE recently filmed at one of their shows so some of you may remember them from that video
RIP to a great wrestling promoter

Screenshot_20211230-075631.png

This is terrible news, Big Time Wrestling has been putting on awewome shows here in the Bay Area for a few decades and a lot of future stars have passed through that promotion
WWE recently filmed at one of their shows so some of you may remember them from that video
RIP to a great wrestling promoter

View attachment 899759
Goddamn that is young...

Been watching 97 and part of 98 and what's interesting is stone cold got over big being a short promo guy.

We all remember Triple H and the 20 minute promos that kicked off Raw but that wasnt Austin's style generally he would come out and cut a 3 or 4 minute promo and that's all he needed to get over. Later in his career I am sure he started doing longer ones

I’ll go with MJF vs Darby. Great story telling and a style that leaned towards a realistic match. Made me think of a Bret hart match

I like the Hammerstone vs Jacob fatu match. It was my first time seeing either of them and I
was entertained.

Edit: I just watched Walter vs Dragunov. That was a great match. Loved the palm and open handed strikes. That’s how pro wrestling should be done. The chest chops were a bit over done but that’s the state of the business today.

Side note. I also watched Walter vs Adam cole. I was unable to suspend reality enough to believe cole could compete with that monster.

I haven’t followed wrestling since middle school, and I want to get back in it. What platforms are good to watch Indy matches from this past year?

Reading more about Toni Storm. They're saying she worked a house show triple threat with Sasha Banks and Charlotte, then after the match went to the back, told some people she quit, went straight to the airport, bought her own plane ticket, and went home. WWE apparently didn't give a fuck and gave her a release on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back