Push-ups and Pull-ups

LuisHernandez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is a decent number of push-ups and pull-ups that a man should be able to do?

What is a good program if I want to be able to get good at doing push-ups and pull-ups?

100 and 20 are the normal "goals" people have

Are you training for something specific? a program to do alot of pushups and pullups is all well and go if you just want to get good at pushups and pullups but will be a pretty big miss if your training for something else.

100 and 20 are the normal "goals" people have

Are you training for something specific? a program to do alot of pushups and pullups is all well and go if you just want to get good at pushups and pullups but will be a pretty big miss if your training for something else.

thats the "goal" but i would say if you can do more than 35 pushups without stopping and 5 pullups thats more than what half of America could do (at least)

Push-ups don't really make you much stronger or make you conditioned unless you're doing like 100 without stopping, same with pull-ups. They really are just good supplements to a weight lifting or conditioning routine.

I started a small pull up test on myself last week.
My goal is to do a set of 20.
I started last Monday. I am trying to do at least 25 pull ups a day in 5 rep increments. Saturday is my first test to determine improvement.
Last time I tested I was at 11 pull ups.

Will let you know if this works.

Bry

Push-ups don't really make you much stronger or make you conditioned unless you're doing like 100 without stopping, same with pull-ups. They really are just good supplements to a weight lifting or conditioning routine.

umm no

i dont like doing those on their own, i like to incorporate them into my work out, or run. i kind of use them with supersets. do sprints and drop down for pushups, then do a few more sprints

What are you talking about? I know for a fact I have gotten stronger from doing pullups, chinups and pushups (weighted also). Increase in size too of course. My lats have spread out much more from doing pullups.

What are you talking about? I know for a fact I have gotten stronger from doing pullups, chinups and pushups (weighted also). Increase in size too of course. My lats have spread out much more from doing pullups.

Well if lat spread was the goal we'd all be bodybuilders but i THINK?, most are here about strength endurance.

10 pullups and 50 pushups is my current goal.

i know some marines and all they do are push ups, pull ups, and air squats and they are huge and freakin strong. considering they do 1000 pushups, 1000 sit ups, 500 pull ups, 1000 squats everyday.

the poster who said pull ups dont contribute to strength is wrong. i would estimate 50 push ups and 10 pull ups is a good goal for a recreational athlete and 100 and 20 for someone who aspires to more

thats the "goal" but i would say if you can do more than 35 pushups without stopping and 5 pullups thats more than what half of America could do (at least)

You're guessing really high, most any physical standards test has goals alot lower for pushups, pullups are usually around 5 -6 if i remember. Mind you those are minimums but i am sure they are set that way for a reason.

I asked a question similar about getting better at pull-ups. One interesting way (I can't remember the term) is to do a comfortable set every day... say 5 pull-ups (which is what I am doing) and 15 push-ups. Makes sense as over time your body adapts and you should be able to add on more reps. when needed.

Oh, "greasing the groove" it was called... google it.

Well if lat spread was the goal we'd all be bodybuilders but i THINK?, most are here about strength endurance.

Like I said...I got stronger from doing them...the lat spread is just the bonus.

Id say 99% of people would struggle to do more than 2 unassisted pullups.

On a side note; the placement for hands make a big difference for press ups.

The way I personally do them means I can get 60 or so on the trot, but the way the army showed me over here on a visit I knocked out 80 no problem (admittedly I slowed down towards the end)

Back