Push-ups and Pull-ups

Thats pretty poor standards if you ask me

Keep in mind you have 2 minutes to complete each set of pushups and situps, FWIW. Also, target practice > strength training in the US Military.

Keep in mind you have 2 minutes to complete each set of pushups and situps, FWIW. Also, target practice > strength training in the US Military.

I know, I was under the assumption anyway.

Its the same in the UK

honestly the best way i find for pushups and pullups is not really how many you do but try to do them as slowly as possible. soo many people just bang out pushups and dont get the full work out. try starting out up going down, waiting there for liek three seconds and then slowly start pushing yourself up. for the pullups i think they call them negatives but pull yourself up, and then go down slowly taking maybe like 3 seconds. i swear it helps

What are you talking about? I know for a fact I have gotten stronger from doing pullups, chinups and pushups (weighted also). Increase in size too of course. My lats have spread out much more from doing pullups.

You didn't get what I was saying, I didn't sya they weren't good exercises, I had meant that it isn't good to have a workout plan designed strictly around them. Yeah they are a good add-on to a workout program, but you won't get huge by doing 100 push-ups.

Slightly off topic but if I'm pushed for time I sometimes do a tabata workout and alternate between push ups and pull ups, it's a fun workout and feels good.

I rhink many people "cheat" at pressups only bending the arm 90degrees, instead of to the floor, makes a huge difference. The handles are good too, for even deeper pressups/better hand form, but pricey for what they are considering 2 bricks can almost do the same job :p

Push-ups don't really make you much stronger or make you conditioned unless you're doing like 100 without stopping, same with pull-ups. They really are just good supplements to a weight lifting or conditioning routine.

Yeah, and protien is only a suppliment to a good diet.

I rhink many people "cheat" at pressups only bending the arm 90degrees, instead of to the floor, makes a huge difference. The handles are good too, for even deeper pressups/better hand form, but pricey for what they are considering 2 bricks can almost do the same job :p

ay-fucking-men

Your chest and nose should touch the ground with EVERY rep and you should almost fly off your hands with the lock out of every rep.

I was bragging to my younger bro about how i can do a max. of 30 pullups and hell never beat me, the little creep got up right in front of me and goes and does 50 pullups.

whatever happened to paul "semtex" daley? he was the man. he could do a shitload of pullups and pushups.

What is a decent number of push-ups and pull-ups that a man should be able to do?

What is a good program if I want to be able to get good at doing push-ups and pull-ups?

MY WRESTLING COACH IN HIGHSCHOOL (2X BIG TEN CHAMP) USED TO MAKE US DO AS MANY PULL UPS AS WE COULD THEN DROP RIGHT DOWN AND DO TWICE AS MANY PUSH UPS. WE WOULD DO THAT CYCLE LIKE 3 TO 4 TIMES. BY THE 3RD SET YOUR TOAST. WE ALSO HAD T-SHIRTS MADE UP FOR THE 20-40 CLUB THE 25-50 CLUB TO MOTIVATE AND SET GOALS. AND THE 30-60 CLUB WHICH ONLY 2 OF US HAD. BUT DOING THAT GOT ME TO THE POINT OF WHERE I COULD DO ABOUT 45-50 CHINS WITH GOOD FORM AND WELL OVER A HUNDRED PUSH UPS. AND I STARTED OUT AT LIKE 10 CHINS AND 20 PUSH UPS AND WORKED MY WAY UP. DOING ALOT OF CHINS WILL TAKE YOUR PULLING AND SQUEEZING POWER FOR JIU-JITSU AND GRAPPLING TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

is your caps lock broken or something? its like a seizure on my screen.

Excuse me to ask this question, but how deep should you go in a pushup, so that it would be concidered a pushup in the army?

You guys seem real strong, when I do pushups which are touching the floor with my chest and I do them really nice, I can't do more than 25.

I can do about 80 in 2 minutes, but I need to take breaks quite often, I can't imagine doing 50 in a row, not 50 really nice pushups.

Anyone who says you can't get big or get stronger doing pushups and pullups is wrong.

(Google Herschel Walker who never lifted a weight in his life)

After I resumed training after a long hiatus, I started by only being able to do 3 pullups and about 20 pushups after a workout. 6 months after that, I was able to do over 140 pushups and 30 pullups without stopping. During this time, I did not lift weights...just did pullups,situps and pushups after training. (The weight loss probably helped alot too.)

I now lift weights to supplement training but still do bodyweight exercises.

Excuse me to ask this question, but how deep should you go in a pushup, so that it would be concidered a pushup in the army?

You guys seem real strong, when I do pushups which are touching the floor with my chest and I do them really nice, I can't do more than 25.

I can do about 80 in 2 minutes, but I need to take breaks quite often, I can't imagine doing 50 in a row, not 50 really nice pushups.

According to FM 21-20 you have to drop down to just below parallel then go all the way until you lockout.

Back