Puerto Rico Statehood: 51st State?

BBKAllDay

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I guess there's a big petition spearheaded by Puerto Rico Governor Fortuno to add Puerto Rico to the Union.

In an overshadowed Election Day contest, Puerto Ricans voted in favor of statehood in a nonbinding referendum, marking the first time such an initiative garnered a majority. . . . An economic downturn and shrinking population were the factors that contributed to the support for statehood, where referendums in 1967, 1993 and 1998 failed, Puerto Rico Secretary of State Kenneth McClintock said.

puerto-rico-statehood-690x388.jpg

SOURCES:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/puerto-rico-statehood-luis-fortuno_n_2146880.html

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/election-puerto-rico/index.html

How do you guys feel about adding new states? Will it be beneficial, or unnecessary? Thoughts?

Here's a picture of Miss Universe Puerto Rico for your troubles:
Bodine-Koehler-28-640x428.jpg

I just really don't want to change the flag.

50 is a nice round number, 51 is absurd.

Fine with me. If they want it, why not?

I don't think their vote was very clear cut however.

Kinda feel the same way. It's as likely as California, Texas, etc. seceding.

Adding a state is far, far more likely to happen than a state seceding. Puerto Rico is already part of the U.S. and gets a lot of support from the government so becoming a state and making the people pay taxes is not a huge step. On the other hand an established U.S. state pulling away from the rest of the country would be met with military force, you know, kind of like the Civil War.

Adding a state is far, far more likely to happen than a state seceding. Puerto Rico is already part of the U.S. and gets a lot of support from the government so becoming a state and making the people pay taxes is not a huge step. On the other hand an established U.S. state pulling away from the rest of the country would be met with military force, you know, kind of like the Civil War.

Haha, yes. Seceding from the union is not a unanimously shared sentiment in any state, by any measure.

Haha, yes. Seceding from the union is not a unanimously shared sentiment in any state, by any measure.

What are you talking about? Nothing in my post mentioned that at all.

What are you talking about? Nothing in my post mentioned that at all.

I was referring to your statement that a state seceding is highly unlikely. My post first reply was disjointed now that I read it, but the southern states were able to secede because their state governments wanted to. These recent talks about secession have no state government or military backing, so it's basically a pipe dream for some people. Don't have to be a dick about it man.

Back