Pros/Cons of Reebok Deal: In Your Opinion

I guess I am in a very very small minority in that I like the look of the kits and I really like the guys not looking like stock cars, all covered in sponsor logos.

Cons are the same that many have listed, it SOUNDS like many of the guys are getting less through sponsorships now than in the past, and thats not good. Also in the past when people bitch about fighter pay we have been able to say "They signed the contract so the pay is obviously fine to them or they were wiling to take a bit less to prove themselves so they can make more in the future". This situation wasn't anything they agreed to and was forced upon them. Some of these guys probably signed that UFC deal partly based on the fact that they could subsidize there income with sponsorships and now thats gone.

PROS
-Cleans up the sport for more mainstream casuals (ie: no more condoms, dragons, brass knuckles etc) so the sport can grow and get more popular.
-Makes it easier for new up and coming talent to not have to worry about sponsors.
-Fighters get a cut off the gear they sell. If you are not a good fighter and your stuff doesn't sell then you don't deserve to get paid.

CONS
-A lot of managers are no longer needed now, so now the UFC has an upper hand in fighter pay when negotiating contracts with the fighters.
-The UFC obviously and flagrantly skimming off the top of the Reebok deal.
- Seasoned fighters making less money than they would from outside established sponsors.

I guess I am in a very very small minority in that I like the look of the kits and I really like the guys not looking like stock cars, all covered in sponsor logos.

Cons are the same that many have listed, it SOUNDS like many of the guys are getting less through sponsorships now than in the past, and thats not good. Also in the past when people bitch about fighter pay we have been able to say "They signed the contract so the pay is obviously fine to them or they were wiling to take a bit less to prove themselves so they can make more in the future". This situation wasn't anything they agreed to and was forced upon them. Some of these guys probably signed that UFC deal partly based on the fact that they could subsidize there income with sponsorships and now thats gone.

You are just in the minority here... every other sport the guys have the same outfits on with there name on it... it 100% legitimizes the sport... come on... I am so sad I don't get to see "Dynamic Fastener" on a mans crotch now...

sherdog just likes to complain... the stuff looks good... honestly for me it costs to much but it looks good.

the cons are if fighters really are losing a ton of money...

another pro... companies can stop wasting money on such a dumb thing as a fighters shorts when NOONE is buying something because they saw it on a fighters ass... Who even pays attention to all the logos on those banners and shorts...

the one I can always remember is Dynamic Fasteners and I can honestly say I have absolutely zero idea what they make... other then probably fasteners... that are dynamic...

I guess uniformity is good for professionalism, and perhaps that's another positive step towards legitimising the sport of MMA and the UFC as the top dog.

I'm gonna leave pay out because that's a completely different discussion and I'm sure you have no control over that. But on looks alone, I just think the whole design all together needs a complete overhaul. It's too plain and TOO uniform-like. I think the fighters should have more control over the design of their kits, and the kits should accentuate the fighters themselves and not so much the platform that they're on.

Lyoto Machida for ex: instead of having a plain uniform BLAIRING UFC across the front, the Uniform could be Green with a Yellow dragon and maybe blue eyes, The Dragon representing the background of his style, and his nickname (obv) and the Green and yellow colors representing the colors of his country of Brazil. Maybe not the GREATEST of design ideas but just something to introduce and to get the fans to know the FIGHTER, and not just some generic uniform saying UFC.

Pro : money if you have no sponsorship.
Con: Get fired if you talk bad about the deal.
Loss of big sponsorship money for everyone else.

PROS: money flows into UFC

CONS: it's nowhere near enough money, so it reduces the total amount of sponsorship of the UFC

Pros:
Increase in minimum pay scale for entry fighters
Gives low end fighters with no sponsers a better base pay, Mitrione had no sponsers early in his career so it's a nice little incentive for people who are struggling.
Some of the profits made from Reebok go directly into the UFC
?
?
Profit for Reebok ? Is that even a pro ?

Cons:
Personalities, walk outs and weigh ins have been destroyed.
Entrances are now even more dull, no longer willl we ever see antics like Saku, Lawlor, Petruzelli or Mayham walking out in some wierd attire...it's now harder to distinguish and build stars or promote personalities based on everyone wearing the same fucking thing.
Majority of fighters lose money without sponsers
Famous champs are only getting 40k per fight, absolute rubbish.
Uniforms look goofy as shit anyway, who the fuck would want to buy one of those ? I wouldn't even want to wear it if I was paid to wear it, let alone fork out 50 bucks for one of them things.
Long time vets with big name recognition who have never fo ught in the ufc get most shafted, Fedor would get 5k from Reebok.

Quality list.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of the International feel with the flag-icons on the clothing. I do with the outfits were better, but I have a feeling it will change over time. In fact, I think the changes will happen much like soccer/football jerseys.... every year. At least if Reebok is smart they will do that.

Pro:
nice new interface for ppvs

Cons:
fighter pay
Ugly product
Shady politics

Pros:
- Fantastically designed UFC kits that make the fighters and the sport in general look more professional
- Fighters don't have to break their teeth trying to get sponsors
- Fighters are better compensated than they were before
- 100% of deal goes to Fighters
- Gear that is 100% nip-slip proof for teh ladies
- Chance to feel more connected to the fighters by begin able to buy their awesome kit and wear it proudly at your local BWW while you watch them beat the fuck out of some dude with your buddies drinking beer.

Cons:
None

Pros - Dana White gets to gamble more money fighters should be using to feed themselves and their families

Cons - every single other thing about this shitty, insane deal

Pros:
- Fantastically designed UFC kits that make the fighters and the sport in general look more professional

Tons of fans been feeling that. Makes total sense.

- Chance to feel more connected to the fighters by begin able to buy their awesome kit and wear it proudly at your local BWW while you watch them beat the fuck out of some dude with your buddies drinking beer.

Thank christ fans don't collect the shorts, because it would a riveting decision between Matt Brown's signature "black and diagonally white shorts" or Ross Pearson's signature "white and diagonally black shorts"

...because holy fucksticks. That shorts diversity. So much diverse. So little time to process all the diversity in those fucking shorts.

Con:
The Reebok shorts make every fighter look like they just broke out of the most boring futuristic prison ever.

And/or make every single fight on the card look like a pair of vegas trapeze artists duking it out in some Groundhogs Day time fuckloop, with varying combinations of facial hair.

Pro: -It's not Nike
-The will never be taken seriously as an mma brand and merchandising sales will be unimpressive.

Con: -Forcing people to wear something negates the point of sponsorship.
-Slap in the face to Tap Out, Venom and others that were around before Zuffa and are synonymous with mma.
-Reebok is known for being good enough.

Pros: more professional, the designs look amazing, all the fighters look the same, I love the dystopian champion look, fighters get paid for doing "NOTHING", they also get paid in product!! I mean, how can you argue against that! They also get paid on seniority, which is completely fair. Reebok is a cool brand and all the fans love it, too.

Cons: ... I got nothing

Cons: Jon Jones, Nick Diaz

Pros: Every other fighter.

Pros:
- Fighters don't have to break their teeth trying to get sponsors
- Fighters are better compensated than they were before
- 100% of deal goes to Fighters
- Gear that is 100% nip-slip proof for teh ladies

Cons:
None

this guy gets it.

also, less primadonna millionaire cutmen working your events...nobody wants to see the guys applying Vaseline making more than the actual fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back