Pros/Cons of Reebok Deal: In Your Opinion

Writing something about it on my blog, so I'll just plug my own shit when I'm done.

However.... take this into consideration. Anderson got a quarter of a mil for wearing Burger King on his shorts at UFC 148. With Reebok, the best he can get is $40k(championship money). Lesnar has a fuck ton of sponsors and since he managed to persuade Vince into letting him keep his sponsors in WWE I'd guess he would laugh Dana out of the building when he would hear what he gets with the Reebok money.

Good thing is less popular guys now have a Reebok sponsorship deal that takes care of their pre/post fight gear and gives them some sweet merch. Some probably even got a pay raise with the deal.

It really boils down to the individual fighter. Some struck gold others got shit for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pros:
- Fantastically designed UFC kits that make the fighters and the sport in general look more professional
- Fighters don't have to break their teeth trying to get sponsors
- Fighters are better compensated than they were before
- 100% of deal goes to Fighters
- Gear that is 100% nip-slip proof for teh ladies
- Chance to feel more connected to the fighters by begin able to buy their awesome kit and wear it proudly at your local BWW while you watch them beat the fuck out of some dude with your buddies drinking beer.

Cons:
None
Reebok debuted at 189, this happened last weekend. Less then a month after the debut of "fight kits"

Reebok_Nip_slip.0.0.jpg

Pros:

1) I like the names on the shorts.
2) Less spam of ridiculous sponsors "Condom Depot" etc.
3) I thought the champion's black shorts look good. I thought they were shit until I saw Lawler wearing them. He looked great in black.

Cons:
1) Badly designed "uniforms" or "kits". The lines are all wrong for the physique of these fighters. Needs to be redone pronto.
2) Shit pay. I am aware that there are less "chasing" for sponsor money but c'mon.. $2,500? lol that's ... bad. An entry level fighter should be able to get over $10,000 in sponsors easily.

Pro's: uncle fester gets new snow for his driveway

Con's: everything else

Pros: ???

Cons: everything about this shitty deal

If the fighters get a cut of the sales it could turn into a good thing and be profitable for them. I don't want a shirt that has UFC on 80% of the front of it. Make a fighter's shirt about the actual fighter and I might buy one, I don't want a UFC jersey, I want a shirt dedicated to the fighter.

Maybe a Shogun shirt should actually have "Shogun" on it instead of looking exactly like Aldo's or Machida's.

CONS: You made me not look forward to Thomas Lawlor's entrance.

Pros. :

1. Zuffa will have more money, and they usually invest it in the brand UFC.
2. Some say it has cleared up the sport and now it looks like a serious organization, but I think UFC is not that mainstream yet,to make a deal like that and the money that the fighters receive reflects my opinion.

Cons. :

1. Obviously the fighters pay. Evan if we don't know the exact details on this, a lot of the fighters were paid monthly by sponsors. Loosing more than half the money you maid from sponsors is not cool. Fighters were sacrificial lambs in this business . Even if they get any % of the reebok stuff they sell, that pay is lame. Who buys this shit ? Some 10 years old maybe.
Remember the launch kit ? They had more than one year to come up with some refreshing design,and half of the launch show was about how individuality played a big part in the design and quality also, and booom you get to wear the same lame shit as any other fighter except champs and they all look probably the worst they can.
Quality wise the same lame polyester shit. Design ? What the fuck, big ass UFC logo and those lines, names on the back written wrong and even the shorts look poor quality to me . Absolutely awful.
2. Individuality. This played a big part of the sport and reebook managed to erase it. No more cool weight ins or walkouts, even the fights quality is affected ( for me at least ) because I have to look on those ugly poor quality generic looking shorts instead of let's say a Jaco Hybrid .
3. Screwing up the fans. While they ruin the weight ins,walkouts and even the fights by some procent,it is obvious that the fans don't like it. Just look at the feedback and the negativity they get in the media. Other than Zuffa and reebuk, nobody is pleased with this deal.

Pros: Hopefully some of the money goes directly or indirectly to the fighters
Cons: Makes the fighters loose personality. Everyone looks the same. And with no personalities people will loose interest. I will always remember andersons gear as an example.

Reebok didn't mean much to me before this deal, I am an Oakley guy, but after this deal, I absolutely hate reebok, and not because of the deal, but because how lame they are, they don't have any business producing mma gear like Jaco Hybrid for example or Venom, and they are just ruining the sport. It is like they don't even care about the product they did.

what ever happened to tap out?

cons:

The kit looks embarrassingly bad
Both fighters wear black and white short when Reebok could've chosen any colours on earth

Pros:

Meisha doesn't wear those shorts with the skirt that covers her ass anymore. She now wears normal, unobstructed spandex.

Pro: maybe some guys no one has heard of from a bumbfuck nowhere country without a Facebook or Twitter makes an extra $1500

People can't rattle off a laundry list of sponsors post fight anymore.

Cons: quite literally everyone else is losing money, some majorly so

The walkout shirts look like an UNO deck when next to each other

I didn't realize how much I'd miss the different colors of trunks. The black/white don't look utterly terrible (like the kits do), but they get bland after a whole card

Makes the Ufc look like a joke both with appearance and how they treat their employees

Pros:
Meisha doesn't wear those shorts with the skirt that covers her ass anymore. She now wears normal, unobstructed spandex.

+1

Funny thing about this deal is how UFC fires anybody who is aginst It, but They supposedly dont have any stake in It because "all the money goes to the fighters".

There is no logic in their behaviour, for example They say "We did It for the fighters, only", most mid, mid high tier fighters take a big hit to their paychecks and UFC knows It well but "the low tier fighters dont have to worry about getting sponsor deals now". Since when do They care about low tier fighters so much, If They did They would just raise their pay, but instead They decide to make a reebok deal to make things right for low tier fighters and in a process fuck most of the others fighters over. And all of this out of pure heart and empathy since They dont get any money out of It.

if-my-calculations-are-correct-thats-bullshit.jpg

Every UFC fighter I train with (over a dozen) and a few are top 10 in their divisions fall into two categories.

1. Lives w parents

2 Has to teach private or work extra jobs to pay their rent.

The Reebok contract financially hurts fighters who have worked hard to create a marketable image.

Pros: I assume they pay you on time.

Pro: maybe some guys no one has heard of from a bumbfuck nowhere country without a Facebook or Twitter makes an extra $1500

People can't rattle off a laundry list of sponsors post fight anymore.

Cons: quite literally everyone else is losing money, some majorly so

The walkout shirts look like an UNO deck when next to each other

I didn't realize how much I'd miss the different colors of trunks. The black/white don't look utterly terrible (like the kits do), but they get bland after a whole card

Makes the Ufc look like a joke both with appearance and how they treat their employees

This lol.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure they made fighters cut down on listing all their sponsors. Some still did it until the Reebok deal but nothing like the days of Xyience Xenergy drink and "Hard Nutrition, Hard Nutrition, Hard Nutrition" - Keith Jardine.

Back