Pros and Cons of getting sober

TS, you've primed your brain to be pleasured in certain ways for a long time. Just keep pushing!!! You'll adapt, and things will become more normalized.

It's a problem I've never had luckily. I go on some big benders and have some weeks where I go hard, but I can also turn it off like a light switch and do a month sober no problem.
Well that's certainly a huge help to the struggling TS. Just knowing there are ridiculously successful people out there who dominate life should be a comfort to him.

So as alot of you guys know, I was really bad off on drugs and alcohol for a long time. Now that i've managed to get the most sober time of my entire life under my belt (62 days). Shits weird.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what the fuck to do with myself like normal. Feel like ranting

Obviously I was ready to make a serious change in my life, with two medical detox's this year, one 30 stay stay and rehab, a really bad relapse, and just a rollercoaster ride of trying to change my life for the better.

A little over two months ago I said fuck it, and with $4000 to my name, I spent $3200 to go detox myself from alcohol for one week. I was living in basically a trap house with cocaine dealers, i told them i'm gonna go.. found a place, called my mom to come pick me up.. and said my goodbyes to my friends and that lifestyle.

Detoxing wasen't hard. The place I found this time around put me on a pretty good dose of valium and I just chain smoked cigarettes the entire time going to these little group meetings frequently throughout the day. Had pretty bad shakes and insomnia but that went away after about a week.

This time I didn't go right back to my old ways like I did earlier this year.. I moved into a sober living house with other sober people, used the last bit of my money to rent a room and quickly found a job.

Turns out when im not wasted all the time, good things happen. I instantly got promoted and was self sufficient within weeks. Now i've got about 2 grand to my name even after paying rent and i'm already looking to move on my own again. i thought I lost my girlfriend, but she has stuck with me through all this which is pretty much crazy considering the shitty things ive done and said to her.. and put her through. I guess I got a good one.

So now i'm sober for over two months, im doing really well at work.. I dont wanna kill myself anymore. And I sleep like a baby again

But life is fucking dull. Movies suck, the internet sucks, sex even is hard to get into. Every time I try to play music every note feels flat, I don't know what in the hell to do with myself when i'm not working. I'm eating out of boredom. I chain smoke to a fault. I don't really enjoy much of anything yet.. I cut ties with pretty much all of my friends because we basically just drank together. I go to AA meetings out of boredom.. I actually prefer doing that over just sitting around watching TV or something. Shits kind of difficult to be honest

Basically, getting sober is fucking weird.

Start working out and eating healthy. That will help A LOT. It will literally force "happiness endorphins" into you.

And I once read a study that people who use drugs or abuse alcohol usually do it because they don't really have a purpose (in life.) Try to find a purpose.

Just smoke weed at night, you will enjoy the arts again.

Stay productive and try some sports maybe. Running helped me a lot. After a vicious run, I felt alive again.

So as alot of you guys know, I was really bad off on drugs and alcohol for a long time. Now that i've managed to get the most sober time of my entire life under my belt (62 days). Shits weird.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what the fuck to do with myself like normal. Feel like ranting

Obviously I was ready to make a serious change in my life, with two medical detox's this year, one 30 stay stay and rehab, a really bad relapse, and just a rollercoaster ride of trying to change my life for the better.

A little over two months ago I said fuck it, and with $4000 to my name, I spent $3200 to go detox myself from alcohol for one week. I was living in basically a trap house with cocaine dealers, i told them i'm gonna go.. found a place, called my mom to come pick me up.. and said my goodbyes to my friends and that lifestyle.

Detoxing wasen't hard. The place I found this time around put me on a pretty good dose of valium and I just chain smoked cigarettes the entire time going to these little group meetings frequently throughout the day. Had pretty bad shakes and insomnia but that went away after about a week.

This time I didn't go right back to my old ways like I did earlier this year.. I moved into a sober living house with other sober people, used the last bit of my money to rent a room and quickly found a job.

Turns out when im not wasted all the time, good things happen. I instantly got promoted and was self sufficient within weeks. Now i've got about 2 grand to my name even after paying rent and i'm already looking to move on my own again. i thought I lost my girlfriend, but she has stuck with me through all this which is pretty much crazy considering the shitty things ive done and said to her.. and put her through. I guess I got a good one.

So now i'm sober for over two months, im doing really well at work.. I dont wanna kill myself anymore. And I sleep like a baby again

But life is fucking dull. Movies suck, the internet sucks, sex even is hard to get into. Every time I try to play music every note feels flat, I don't know what in the hell to do with myself when i'm not working. I'm eating out of boredom. I chain smoke to a fault. I don't really enjoy much of anything yet.. I cut ties with pretty much all of my friends because we basically just drank together. I go to AA meetings out of boredom.. I actually prefer doing that over just sitting around watching TV or something. Shits kind of difficult to be honest

Basically, getting sober is fucking weird.

As you probably know, your dopamine system could be suppressed for up to 18 months as a result of your drinking. This means all of the above.

Know that it will get better also. This next step may be harder. Exercise is likely a decent high to supplement with, ya need to put the work in to get the reward though.

Congrats on making it this far. Keep at it.

trade in the alcohol addiction for lifting

maybe even bjj or muay thai just to keep yourself busy, set goals, etc

I learned to embrace and appreciate the boredom.

It's the part of the recovery that needs to be worked at the hardest.

I haven't drank sun-thurs in years. I also haven't taken a Fri-Sat off in years. Sometimes Friday is light-5-6. But Saturday is a dozen easy. I guess I'm an episodic binge drinker. There are many things I love doing whilst drinking--Playing pool, watching sports, listening to live music, camping, BBQ's, that I know I wouldn't enjoy sober. I am taking the 1st 3 weeks of November off just to see if I can. I don't physically crave booze, but I look forward to it, and the events are planned around it. And when these events happen, I plan to make sure I get as many as I want as fast as I need...if I know service is slow ill order 2 at a time.

Find a good hobby. Helps alot and dont associate getting fucked up with everything. I picked up warhammer 40k really helps keep my mind focused on a simple thing and has helped. Good luck dude its a hard road but your doing great.

Back