Proper way to throw a Muay Thai kick?

DaGREATkabookie said:
also my leg knee(kicking leg) seems to turn downward as I hit the bag. is that ok or whats the problem.THANKS
Depends on the angle of the surface you're hitting. You should generally try to hit with the inside of your shin, the bonier part. Angling downward too much on a straight surface could have you contacting with the outside of your shin, which is muscle. If you've ever been hit with a good shin kick to the quad then you know what a poor striking surface muscle makes.

Anyway, it the object you're hitting is slanted down (bottom more towards you, like a heavy bag with a rope that's a bit too long) then angling downward is ok. Otherwise, I would try doing the butt cheeck thing I mentioned. Part of that angling down could be that your hips aren't wide enough - remember that in a proper MT kick the power is from turning the hips, not from merely swinging the kicking leg at the target.

believe it or not.....

hacky sack when you kick it with your back part of the shoe....
that will help you....

Practice fluid motion. It's okay to work on separate pieces of the mechanics, like the pivot by itself. But the kick is best thrown as a continuous fluid motion. I find the hardest part is turning over my hips enough without losing my balance.

As chubs from Happy Gilmore said:"It's all in the hips"

when I first started MT my kicks were karate-like...

it took me a couple weeks to unlearn what I learned from kenpo.

after working with a few peple and watching videos on technique I now have it down pretty damn good

I am practicing this exact kick today at home on the bag to prep for my Muay Thai training tomorrow.

From what I understand, it is all pivot and hips - lead heal points to target during impact.

My trainer had me turn my head completely 180 degrees to see myself in the mirror behind me to make sure the hip/foot pivot was right.

I hope this helps - I am a noob starting out.

Depends on the angle of the surface you're hitting. You should generally try to hit with the inside of your shin, the bonier part. Angling downward too much on a straight surface could have you contacting with the outside of your shin, which is muscle. If you've ever been hit with a good shin kick to the quad then you know what a poor striking surface muscle makes.

Anyway, it the object you're hitting is slanted down (bottom more towards you, like a heavy bag with a rope that's a bit too long) then angling downward is ok. Otherwise, I would try doing the butt cheeck thing I mentioned. Part of that angling down could be that your hips aren't wide enough - remember that in a proper MT kick the power is from turning the hips, not from merely swinging the kicking leg at the target.

We were always taught to hit with the upper most part of the shin. And were warned NOT to use the inside part of the shin bone as this can lead to fractures and damage to the knee over time. From the front, the shin bone is much stronger than from the side. Also, the top is sharper and tends to penetrate better.

A trainer from Thailand once told me that alot of american fighters where hurting themselves because they would hit with the inside part of the bone.

If you are into traditional chinese medicine or meridian theory, then you would also know to avoid the inside of the shin area as it houses the kidney and spleen meridians which they say should not be used for training. - for what its worth!

Cheers.

Use your shins. They are better than your feet. Do body hardening techniques.

I shoji gave good advice. The only thing I would add is an explanation of the difference between a karate kick and a Muay Thai kick (generally speaking). Karate round kicks use the hip in a different way and kind of turn it through. It is almost as if you were throwing a round house knee kick but unfolding the leg half way through. Sort of a two part kick. Most karate schools also practice for point sparring or for "form." This leads them to focus a lot on the return of the kick or landing in a nice stance. Especially if they are practicing for single techniques and one hit point sparring. They kick "at' the target rather than through it. They are also very upright for the kick.

The Thai kick can be thought of like stretching a rubber band. You have created tension and when you let go it has no where to go but "zip!!" That is your leg at the end of that tension (rubber band). When you place your support foot over to the left for a right kick and point the toes out you are opening the hip (your kicking leg is still in place behind you) that creates the tension like the rubber band. The hips are open and the support foot is turned and the kicking leg wants to whip around if you release it. An important factor that no one mentioned is the arms. Like pulling a lawn mower pull cord to start it you have to pull that arm on the kicking side back and help the hips go. The other arm comes toward the right also (also protects the head). Actually you should walk around practicing this small movement Right foot slightly behind the left in a natural stance, turn your support foot to the left then pull the arms to the right almost like your doing a right elbow to the rear just not as tight to the ribs...like the lawn mower thing) and twist the hips...snap...to the left and go around the room in circles like that making short knee kicks as if kicking to the leg. This will practice whipping the hip around and letting the leg fly, albeit on a small movement. You may try eventually letting the leg fly over a garbage pail or something.

As I said above, the karate kick has more of an up right posture and tends to kick "at" the target. The Muay Thai kick places the head over the support leg and knee. This is the pivot point and turns the hip over and kicks "through " the target. The leg goes the direction that the head pointed pulling the bodyweight behind it and through the target. With your support foot turned to the outside of your target and your head over to the left also and your support foot "past" the centerline of the target, the leg can go through. It also has less distance to travel to get to the target making it quicker as well as having more distance to go through.

Karate kicks from a longer distance so it is harder to get the shin to make contact without moving closer to the target.

You'll get it....keep practicing.

Lotsa good advice from this thread. Here is my 2 cents.

The little diagonal step with your lead foot is very very important. If you are a bit too far, that step can close the distance. That key step also helps you generate more power.

The kick is kinda' like swinging a baseball bat. Your kicking leg is the bat and when you swing a bat, you don't want to lightly tap the ball and retract; you want a homerun! The thai kick needs to be thrown so it feels like you're cutting the target apart.

As someone else mentioned, the position of the hands are very important. Most people tend to swing their right arm back when they kick with their right leg because it's natural to their body and some claims that it generates more power. For me, I just do it because it feels weird if I don't. The right arm is thrown back to also protect the chin since your shoulder would be raised. You should also place your left hand infront of your right cheek for added protection.

GL and keep practicing.

Make sure when you shadowbox kick all the way through

It's hard to explain in words but step a little further over with your lead leg and bend the knee of the lead leg more then you usualy would. it will feel strange but don't quit, the pivot on the ball of your foot the rotation of the hips and the swinging of your arm will take some time to do simultaniously. kick the bag hundreds of times every time you train, practice makes perfect, the heavy bag will also condition your shins.

When you're hitting the heavy bag, simply refuse to bend your leg at the knee.

Do whatever it takes to get more power, obviously your pivoting at different points of your body. Eventually you'll gain an intuitive feel for what gives you power, without ever using your knee.

Think of it as driving a stickshift, you can't just know the steps of what to do, you learn how to 'feel' when to shift based on how hard the engine is working etc.

You need to have your leg bend at knee a little bit.

It feels unnatural because it inherently is. Just keep at it and your body will eventually get used to throwing the kick the proper way.

The best way is DON'T. The roundhouse kick IMO, is performed best by the Kyushinikai who use a semi-chamber, and a 180-rotation. Thus, you will have power coming from the Muay Thai style "swing", and the karate-TKD style quadricep "snap."

YouTube - Kyokushin karate speed kick tutorial

Kyokushin adapted a lot from Muay Thai. Mas Oyama (Kyokushin founder) sent a few of his karate fighters to fight against Muay Thai fighters. When his fighters lost to Muay Thai he revamped his system, picked up some Muay Thai techniques, adapted them to his style then went back, fought again and won.

He took over his best Kyokushin fighters and beat some unknown thais.

He took over his best Kyokushin fighters and beat some unknown thais.

Back