Proper way to throw a Muay Thai kick?

the kick starts with the hips. your hips rotate and at the same time kind of lean into it. and kicks come off quicker and more powerful when they come up at a 45 degree angle. there can be a little snap at the end of the kick, but not like a karate kick. dont hit with your instep.

z0nk said:
i work on bringing up the knee first, then extending the leg whilst twisting the hip in. i make contact at the point of turning the hip.

that definitely sounds like a TKD kick, not a thai kick.

TapDG said:
Hips Hips HIps...and just picture your shin going through the other side of the bag..Kick through your opponent
Yeah, that's important. A lot of people just kick to the surface of the bag and stop. Throw that kick like you're going to push your opponent to the side with it. Make the bag/man move .

Yea for sure..Picture your leg completely destroying his leg/body/head

What I don't get is in my gym they tell you to really turn your hip to the point where your standing heel is poiting at your target.

But I think that makes you too much off balanced. Plus there are lot of top fighters that do not kick like that. I don't lose any power and have one of the most hardest round kicks in my gym.

Hellbent said:
What I don't get is in my gym they tell you to really turn your hip to the point where your standing heel is poiting at your target.

But I think that makes you too much off balanced. Plus there are lot of top fighters that do not kick like that. I don't lose any power and have one of the most hardest round kicks in my gym.
That's how I learned to do it - with your stem heel pointing to the target. If you feel like you're losing balance when doing it, it doesn't mean it can't be done - it means you need more practice. Not all pro fighters kick like that, not all pro fighters kick the exact same way.

I-Shoji said:
Ya I took karate for many years also, and the "hinge" is a good way to describe it.

Basicly just throw the kick like you're swinging a bat (your leg) around and through the target. Don't chamber or cock the leg bending it at the knee. Create tension on your hips by using a combination of turning your upperbody and stepping out at an angle with your supporting leg (or for those of you that favor the foot pivot use that pivot to create the hip tension) and when the tension is max, release it swinging your leg horizontally through the target. Practice throwing the kick without a bag a few times and do a 360 degree turn throwing it to get the right mechanics. Now throw it into the bag with the same intention that you would optimally go through the oponent and turn around completely.

And viola, you should have the makings of a good thai roundhouse.

Something to note is that you get more power stepping to the outside of your target as you throw the kick. Being straight on with the target shortens your kicking distance, and the longer your kick travels the harder it hits.

Be wary of instruction to kick at upward or downward angles into your target. Firstly, this can have you injuring your foot kicking up into an elbow. Secondly, the best way to impact with a thai kick is in such a way that your kick impacts straight in. Maximum tissue damage and pain is a result of compressing "meat" between bone most efficiently. This is done by kicking into the leg (for example), as perpendicular to the way the bone is as possible.

Some thai instructors try to promote a downward "chopping" leg kick for example.

I agree with all but the part about kicking at an angle. Sometimes when kicking an opponent's leg, the leg is bent at the knee. In order to kick into the leg perpendicular to the way of the bone without having your kick slide up their leg, you need to kick downards into it. Also, when throwing body kicks, it's good to kick up at a 45 degree angle. The reason for this is it is the best angle to strike up and into the ribcage causing damage.

FELLA said:
You do realise he's talking about kicking :eek: :D

Cthon trains in a state max security lock up. He's a real cage fighter!

What helped me with my kicks was moving like you would in a fight. It easier to throw a good kick if you aren't flat footed. Don't cock it either.

Make sure your plant leg foot is angled out slightly to open your hips up so you can generate power through the kick.

assume stance.

step left diagonal

bring knee up

pivot on left leg.

turn body and hips, bring knee over

twist hips and extend leg.

knee should be the other side of the bag.

land kick with lower shin/instep.

DO NOT clench up before impact. ONLY tighten your leg muscles right before impact.

Michael Wanaka said:
Also, when throwing body kicks, it's good to kick up at a 45 degree angle. The reason for this is it is the best angle to strike up and into the ribcage causing damage.

That's a good point. It also helps to get up underneath your opponents elbows.

Pivot on leed foot, bring your knee up and extend throwing your hips into it. Keeping your hands up.

Michael Wanaka said:
I agree with all but the part about kicking at an angle. Sometimes when kicking an opponent's leg, the leg is bent at the knee. In order to kick into the leg perpendicular to the way of the bone without having your kick slide up their leg, you need to kick downards into it. Also, when throwing body kicks, it's good to kick up at a 45 degree angle. The reason for this is it is the best angle to strike up and into the ribcage causing damage.
I don't agree with this if you kick upwards at a 45 degree angle to the body you risk slamming your foot or ankle into your opponents elbow and breaking it. If that happens the fight is done. It's best to throw the kick straight across horizontally and even if its blocked they should still feel it cut right through their arm.

Also a good point. Punish their arms enough and eventually they won't be able to defend themselves or attack you as effectively.

We do both the traditional roundhouse and the 45 degree kick. A couple guys our gym have been KO'd by 45 degree liver shot while sparring. I think it's better to use against someone who keeps their elbows out wide, but it's hard to connect with, and yeah you can't get quite as much power. One of the reasons I like it is that after you throw a couple, you can get your opponent to instinctively drop his arm to protect his ribs, and then you go high to the head over his hands.

unreal said:
Hands beat feet anyday
Yes, because clearly a straight right is always more powerful than a roundhouse.

Go back to the MMA forum you fucking troll.

is it ok to practice it in phases, then tie them all together, ie reversing the stance so that your lead leg is now the rear, and throing the kick when it feels comfortable work on it with pivot when that feels fine move on to adding a step and puting it all together.

also my leg knee(kicking leg) seems to turn downward as I hit the bag. is that ok or whats the problem.THANKS

Back