Proper way to throw a Muay Thai kick?

He took over his best Kyokushin fighters and beat some unknown thais.

Well, of course there is going to be the Kyokushin version of the story and then the Muay Thai version. Like in all stories there are three sides to this one. The Kyokushin side, the Muay Thai side and the "real side."

Ultimately that is unimportant. The point remains the same and is what I was addressing to the previous post. Kyokushin is influenced heavily by Muay Thai. It has nothing to do with being better or worse; only that Kyokushin saw the value and adapted some of the principles.

I don't agree with this if you kick upwards at a 45 degree angle to the body you risk slamming your foot or ankle into your opponents elbow and breaking it. If that happens the fight is done. It's best to throw the kick straight across horizontally and even if its blocked they should still feel it cut right through their arm.

it all depends on your style... but its much easier to hit the ribs at 45 degree angle when kicking than like 90 degree angle... at least for me...a good example of 45 degree middle kicks is cro cop..

Not to dicredit what anyone is saying..(lots of good advice here), but I teach a combination of the two.

If you are proficient in both styles of kicking, both snaping the kick and throwing the "club like MT kick. You can combine the two for a far superior result.

once you have that type of control over your hip movement, I find that adding the snap to the kick only gives me more power.

Lots of guys here the louder snap of the traditional MT kick on the bag and mistake that for more power, but its not the case always. Just my 2cents

Not to dicredit what anyone is saying..(lots of good advice here), but I teach a combination of the two.

If you are proficient in both styles of kicking, both snaping the kick and throwing the "club like MT kick. You can combine the two for a far superior result.

once you have that type of control over your hip movement, I find that adding the snap to the kick only gives me more power.

Lots of guys here the louder snap of the traditional MT kick on the bag and mistake that for more power, but its not the case always. Just my 2cents

You guys realize that this thread is almost 3 years old right?

Ya I took karate for many years also, and the "hinge" is a good way to describe it.

Basicly just throw the kick like you're swinging a bat (your leg) around and through the target. Don't chamber or cock the leg bending it at the knee. Create tension on your hips by using a combination of turning your upperbody and stepping out at an angle with your supporting leg (or for those of you that favor the foot pivot use that pivot to create the hip tension) and when the tension is max, release it swinging your leg horizontally through the target. Practice throwing the kick without a bag a few times and do a 360 degree turn throwing it to get the right mechanics. Now throw it into the bag with the same intention that you would optimally go through the oponent and turn around completely.

And viola, you should have the makings of a good thai roundhouse.

Something to note is that you get more power stepping to the outside of your target as you throw the kick. Being straight on with the target shortens your kicking distance, and the longer your kick travels the harder it hits.

Be wary of instruction to kick at upward or downward angles into your target. Firstly, this can have you injuring your foot kicking up into an elbow. Secondly, the best way to impact with a thai kick is in such a way that your kick impacts straight in. Maximum tissue damage and pain is a result of compressing "meat" between bone most efficiently. This is done by kicking into the leg (for example), as perpendicular to the way the bone is as possible.

Some thai instructors try to promote a downward "chopping" leg kick for example.

Great post!

You guys realize that this thread is almost 3 years old right?

a muay thai kick is all about a 'lashing' you use your legs as whips there is less power emphasised

I was taught the 'club' method that also snaps after impact to transfer the most force.

this is correct, though it is not quite like a swinging a baseball bat, there is a small snap at the peak of the kick, a little extra nudge, right on impact. and the leg IS bent, but very slightly, if it wasn't then the kick would not feel natural, it is a relaxed bend with a small snap/followthrough at the end.

here are a couple vids of pretty good kickers. Notice the execution at the peak of the kick and the angle they are kicking at that lets them make contact with almost all SHIN. And also note how everyone kicks slightly differently for their body type but still maintain the same basic mechanic.

samkor
http://www.youtube.com/v/JxUAIEsGrnw

Yodsanklai
http://www.youtube.com/v/L1Gpi7G6jQE

Back