Professional fighters association (fpa) launches today

I can't understand why any fans would be against the fighters finally forming a collective to get better working terms.

I'm sure DW and Co.'s about to have a stroke, but karma's a bitch.

It's fairly easy to understand outside the #feelthebern crew. 'a stroke' Wishful thinking. This isn't actually going anywhere.

Only thing that matters is if they can get the big name/big money fighters on board to back them up. If they can't, this will go nowhere.

It's the same reason why there's a boxing union that no one knows about and no one cares about because the only big name boxer backing it up is David Tua.
Big name fighters would lose out and so will never want to be a part of it.

I can't understand why any fans would be against the fighters finally forming a collective to get better working terms.

I'm sure DW and Co.'s about to have a stroke, but karma's a bitch.

Well I can't speak for everyone but I can tell you why I'm reluctant to see a union.

1. I don't want fighters split across multiple orgs like in the old days. Sorry but it was annoying as fuck having to argue with some dipshit swearing up and down that Gegard Mousasi was the greatest MW of all time.

2. You give fighters to much power and it can be a bad thing. I can't even imagine how bad someone like Woodley would be as champ if he had more power.

3. MMA is amazing right now. So many fights, so many great fighters, the only bad thing is the pay isn't as great as it could be but as a fan that doesn't effect me it only hurts the fighters.

Basically change isn't always a good thing. With everything being so great right now in MMA I'm afraid so much of that will be ruined in an effort to fix 1 bad thing which is the pay which is always improving as it is. It's not like fighter pay is the same as it used to be. It's constantly going up more and more every year.

First the Muhammad Ali act and now the FPA.

there it is folks. the beginning of the end. no more top fighters fighting against top fighters. the ducking begins because fighters will have the "right" to duck whomever they want.
I hate the thought of fighters having the right to duck whomever they want

I think unions suck, most of the time, but in the case of the UFC, I'm happy fighters finally have someone to represent them. These guys are getting SCREWED.
Spot on! Completely agree.

Well I can't speak for everyone but I can tell you why I'm reluctant to see a union.

1. I don't want fighters split across multiple orgs like in the old days. Sorry but it was annoying as fuck having to argue with some dipshit swearing up and down that Gegard Mousasi was the greatest MW of all time.

2. You give fighters to much power and it can be a bad thing. I can't even imagine how bad someone like Woodley would be as champ if he had more power.

3. MMA is amazing right now. So many fights, so many great fighters, the only bad thing is the pay isn't as great as it could be but as a fan that doesn't effect me it only hurts the fighters.

Basically change isn't always a good thing. With everything being so great right now in MMA I'm afraid so much of that will be ruined in an effort to fix 1 bad thing which is the pay which is always improving as it is. It's not like fighter pay is the same as it used to be. It's constantly going up more and more every year.

I understand where you're coming from, but I never expected a fighter's association to swing the pendulum of power and shift the balance completely in the fighters' favour either. It was my hope that the union etc. create an equitable middle ground.

The biggest problem now is that the UFC holds all the power. They dictate the rate of pay, the terms and lengths of contracts, holding a fighter to a contract and limiting their abilities to earn, essentially ''owning'' fighters. Right now, if the UFC didn't want to give Woodley a fight because that's their prerogative, he can't even go fight elsewhere because he's bound by both the contract and champions' clauses.

I think all fighters should sign 1 fight deals and be free to market themselves to the highest bidder or organization with the most agreeable terms. Obviously there would be exceptions in the event you're a title holder. The UFC has a lot of great fighters and talent, but not all of them.

I understand where you're coming from, but I never expected a fighter's association to swing the pendulum of power and shift the balance completely in the fighters' favour either. It was my hope that the union etc. create an equitable middle ground.

The biggest problem now is that the UFC holds all the power. They dictate the rate of pay, the terms and lengths of contracts, holding a fighter to a contract and limiting their abilities to earn, essentially ''owning'' fighters. Right now, if the UFC didn't want to give Woodley a fight because that's their prerogative, he can't even go fight elsewhere because he's bound by both the contract and champions' clauses.

I think all fighters should sign 1 fight deals and be free to market themselves to the highest bidder or organization with the most agreeable terms. Obviously there would be exceptions in the event you're a title holder. The UFC has a lot of great fighters and talent, but not all of them.

I agree with a lot of what your saying here. I would say the contracts should be a bit longer (3 fights) (Champs can be matched every 3 fights) other than that I do agree with this. I don't want to come across as some ass hole who doesn't want the fighters to get shit. It's just I don't want to lose what we have now cause it's fucking great. So when people want to start introducing change it always worries me and puts me a bit on the defensive. I do hope the fighters are treated better and get better contracts I do hate seeing the UFC doing shady shit to them (like what they did to Arlovski when he wanted to leave). So If this happens I just hope it works out for everyone and that neither side ends up with too much power.

Looks like they sold the UFC at just the right time

Ummm the Muhammad Ali Act would force the UFC to dismantle its structure. Promoters, Managers and Match makers have to all be separated.

Why do fighters deserve more than 15% revenue? Zuffa built the company and sport to what it is today. It was their tireless promotion and consistantcy as well as smart decision making that got them to this point. Pre-Zuffa some fighters were going home with literally $0. Without Zuffa hounding the PPV companies and government to accept them, there would be no UFC today. And fighters like GSP would be making like $10k instead of $3m per fight.

Every successful company in the world is structured that way.

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Fighters don't even deserve 15 in your book? Man..that's ice cold

If donald fehr is really involved and not just in name...that would be significant. That guy reshaped the most powerful sports Union into an arguably more powerful one

First the Muhammad Ali act and now the FPA.

there it is folks. the beginning of the end. no more top fighters fighting against top fighters. the ducking begins because fighters will have the "right" to duck whomever they want.

Lets not forget the strikes coming as well and people getting crazy contracts they should not get. MMA is going down once again.

How naive. Have you ever heard of a lockout? I'm sure hockey fans can tell you at least one reason why it might not be good for the fans.

lol, exactly, I gave up watching hockey after the lockout. i just forgot about it.

mma does not have the money you need for this type of shit in it

A lot impressive names on there except the ones that count. Mainly mma fighters.

:(

for the 3rd day in a row, I don't know the name.

I'm sorry guys.

P.s I saved the best pic for tomorow.
(sorry again, don't know the name either)
left one is charm, right one is magic/ spell ;)

Back