Professional fighters association (fpa) launches today

Good.

Hopefully it grows into something meaningful.

Somewhere Ariel Helwani just had an orgasm.

About got damn time.

But I doubt that would lead to something meaningful in the short term.

:(

for the 3rd day in a row, I don't know the name.

I'm sorry guys.

P.s I saved the best pic for tomorow.
(sorry again, don't know the name either)

impressive list of names linked to this association:

PFA has apparently assembled a team of experienced sports professionals that are charged with representing "the collective interests of the fighters employed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)." Donald M. Fehr (Executive Director for NHL Players Association and MLB Players Association), Tony Clark (Executive Director for MLB Players Association), DeMaurice Smith (Executive Director for NFL Players Association) and Bob Foose (Executive Director for MLS Players Union) were just several of the high-profile names associated with PFA in a recent press release.

First the Muhammad Ali act and now the FPA.

there it is folks. the beginning of the end. no more top fighters fighting against top fighters. the ducking begins because fighters will have the "right" to duck whomever they want.

I can't understand why any fans would be against the fighters finally forming a collective to get better working terms.

I'm sure DW and Co.'s about to have a stroke, but karma's a bitch.

I can't understand why any fans would be against the fighters finally forming a collective to get better working terms.

Dana already made bank, he doesn't give a fuck anymore ;)

Dana already made bank, he doesn't give a fuck anymore ;)
If this goes through successfully, fighter pay goes up, profit margins go down, and DW earns less under the new terms of his employment.

Besides all that... DW will have less leverage and ability to control and strong arm fighters... what comes around, goes around. Making less money, not a huge deal when you're rich. When you're accustomed to being able to push people around and get away with it however... not an easy transition for him to make when the shoe is on the other foot.

Dana be like

dana_come_at_me_goofs.gif

They can form whatever they want, but they can't get anyone out of contacts that are already in effect. I'm not really sure what they can do honestly. I think in reality, the only meaningful thing they can do it lobby for the Mohammad Ali Act to be applied to MMA.

I think unions suck, most of the time, but in the case of the UFC, I'm happy fighters finally have someone to represent them. These guys are getting SCREWED.

so... do they have any high ranking fighters on board?

ill consider it news when that happens

Only thing that matters is if they can get the big name/big money fighters on board to back them up. If they can't, this will go nowhere.

It's the same reason why there's a boxing union that no one knows about and no one cares about because the only big name boxer backing it up is David Tua.

It'll be a long time before we potentially see any real changes as a result of a union though.

They can form whatever they want, but they can't get anyone out of contacts that are already in effect. I'm not really sure what they can do honestly. I think in reality, the only meaningful thing they can do it lobby for the Mohammad Ali Act to be applied to MMA.
They will have little effect on existing contracts and terms, but going forward it's going to be much, much different. I think the Muhammed Ali Act can protect individual fighters at odds with their employers, but a collective bargaining group holds much more clout and is harder to dismiss.

The UFC will probably still try to sign their elite fighters to lengthy multiple fight contracts, but the fighters association will make it more difficult for the UFC to terminate fighters on a whim without properly compensating the fighter.

How naive. Have you ever heard of a lockout? I'm sure hockey fans can tell you at least one reason why it might not be good for the fans.

Back