Professional fighters association (fpa) launches today

If this goes through successfully, fighter pay goes up, profit margins go down, and DW earns less under the new terms of his employment.

Besides all that... DW will have less leverage and ability to control and strong arm fighters... what comes around, goes around. Making less money, not a huge deal when you're rich. When you're accustomed to being able to push people around and get away with it however... not an easy transition for him to make when the shoe is on the other foot.

and you think that all that happens is profit margins go down and nothing else changes? the company just invested $4b to buy this company, and they'll just accept making less money on their investment?

Should have named it Fighters Association of Professionals. FAP is a lot easier to remember and it rolls right off the tongue.

They will have little effect on existing contracts and terms, but going forward it's going to be much, much different. I think the Muhammed Ali Act can protect individual fighters at odds with their employers, but a collective bargaining group holds much more clout and is harder to dismiss.

The UFC will probably still try to sign their elite fighters to lengthy multiple fight contracts, but the fighters association will make it more difficult for the UFC to terminate fighters on a whim without properly compensating the fighter.

It's definitely going to be a long process.

Didn't see this posted anywhere else. This is interesting to say the least

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/8/11/1...s-association-pfa-launches-today-to-represent

About time!!!

finally-We-did-it-meme-6891.jpg

About got damn time.

But I doubt that would lead to something meaningful in the short term.
Probably 1-2 years before it pays dividends. But the longest journey starts with a single step. Good news imo.

First the Muhammad Ali act and now the FPA.

there it is folks. the beginning of the end. no more top fighters fighting against top fighters. the ducking begins because fighters will have the "right" to duck whomever they want.
Hey Dana. WTF are you talking about? Have you been watching this sport lately? The top guys aren't fighting the top guys as is and champs are already ducking lol.
I think unions suck, most of the time, but in the case of the UFC, I'm happy fighters finally have someone to represent them. These guys are getting SCREWED.
My thoughts exactly. I'm against unions but these guys need a voice.

I would feel a lot more positive about it if it wasn't some sleazy lawyer and economist starting it. Clearly, they are looking to make a profit off the fighters so I'm not certain this will put the fighters in a much better position than they already were.

I see nothing but positives coming from this maneuver. I've worked under a union for decent pay and wages and without a union for shit pay and no benefits. I choose unions.

Hey Dana. WTF are you talking about? Have you been watching this sport lately? The top guys aren't fighting the top guys as is and champs are already ducking lol.

My thoughts exactly. I'm against unions but these guys need a voice.
Hey Cung Le, you got caught taking PEDs, stop being so salty and move on.

A fighters associationg will punish the most important people involved.... the fans. The important fighters are already getting paid millions and the fighters that aren't good enough want to get paid more. Well who's going to suffer from the raised salaries? The fans. They are gonna just raise the ticket and ppv prices to make up the revenue just like in the NFL and NBA. You'll be seeing less free tv fights and more $100 ppvs.

Hey Cung Le, you got caught taking PEDs, stop being so salty and move on.

A fighters associationg will punish the most important people involved.... the fans. The important fighters are already getting paid millions and the fighters that aren't good enough want to get paid more. Well who's going to suffer from the raised salaries? The fans. They are gonna just raise the ticket and ppv prices to make up the revenue just like in the NFL and NBA. You'll be seeing less free tv fights and more $100 ppvs.
Look I already admitted unions aren't perfect. But UFC fighters are getting about 15% of company revenue despite being the moneymakers, that's ridiculous. Also a fighters union would have prevented things like the Reebuck deal and USADA as well.

Also the Muhammad Ali act will have way less bearing on the UFC than it did boxing. All the fighters are still under one roof, one promotion. Unlike boxing which seemingly has hundreds of governing bodies.

I don't give a fuck what they charge for PPV, I don't buy them. When the fighters start getting more than 15% of the take maybe I will change that stance. These guys need some leverage and power and this is the only way for them to get it. If there was another way for them to get it I'd be in favor of it, but there isn't. This is it.

How naive. Have you ever heard of a lockout? I'm sure hockey fans can tell you at least one reason why it might not be good for the fans.

The '92 strike was necessary, and short lived, but it helped the players receive larger bonuses and control over their likeness rights... it was a necessary strike because the owners wouldn't budge. The players spoke out collectively through their players association and their motion was successful.

The '94 owners lockout under Bettman was also a necessary action. Rising salaries and decreased revenues were jeopardizing smaller market American and Canadian franchises who were bringing in revenues in Canadian dollars and paying salaries in US dollars. The cap was necessary to continue to operate without running massive deficits yearly and would've led to the bankruptcy of quite a few franchises. The NHLPA again was effective in giving the players a voice that couldn't be ignored. The salary cap issue was delayed by making concessions and agreements in other areas to salvage the season.

The salary cap issue took precedence again in '04 scrapping the whole season because the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. What was necessary but avoided in '94 couldn't be put off any more. The franchises benefitted through the ratification of the CBA and increased their value and efficiency, and the players received better terms through revenue sharing and guaranteed contracts. This lockout was more mutual in terms of both sides refusing to acquiesce.

The lockout in '12 was as a result of the previous CBA expiring, and the two sides going back and forth again going over contract issues and revenue sharing.

And yes, I'm a die hard hockey fan, and have been since the late '70's. I remember the strikes and lockouts well. The players striking in '92 was the right thing to do to ensure the players' rights were being met and properly compensated at the time. The owners locking out the players in '94 was the right thing to do if the league as a whole was to continue to be viable and successful in the future. The other lockouts were less defined by one side being more right than the other.

The point is, the NHLPA gave the players a unified voice, and had the clout to actually effect some change, whereas the individuals themselves could be bullied and or ignored.

and you think that all that happens is profit margins go down and nothing else changes? the company just invested $4b to buy this company, and they'll just accept making less money on their investment?

Did I say that's all that happens? A fighter's union/association was almost inevitable, and I think the Fertitta's knew that. Them selling was the right thing to do. The incoming owners are a collection of much smarter businessmen, and I would be surprised if they hadn't anticipated this as well.

They'll also accept making somewhat less than expected, provided the venture still offers profitable returns. The alternative is having no fighters, no events, no PPV buy rates, no attendance numbers and much less revenues.

Look I already admitted unions aren't perfect. But UFC fighters are getting about 15% of company revenue despite being the moneymakers, that's ridiculous. Also a fighters union would have prevented things like the Reebuck deal and USADA as well.

Also the Muhammad Ali act will have way less bearing on the UFC than it did boxing. All the fighters are still under one roof, one promotion. Unlike boxing which seemingly has hundreds of governing bodies.

I don't give a fuck what they charge for PPV, I don't buy them. When the fighters start getting more than 15% of the take maybe I will change that stance. These guys need some leverage and power and this is the only way for them to get it. If there was another way for them to get it I'd be in favor of it, but there isn't. This is it.
Ummm the Muhammad Ali Act would force the UFC to dismantle its structure. Promoters, Managers and Match makers have to all be separated.

Why do fighters deserve more than 15% revenue? Zuffa built the company and sport to what it is today. It was their tireless promotion and consistantcy as well as smart decision making that got them to this point. Pre-Zuffa some fighters were going home with literally $0. Without Zuffa hounding the PPV companies and government to accept them, there would be no UFC today. And fighters like GSP would be making like $10k instead of $3m per fight.

Every successful company in the world is structured that way.

Ummm the Muhammad Ali Act would force the UFC to dismantle its structure. Promoters, Managers and Match makers have to all be separated.

Why do fighters deserve more than 15% revenue? Zuffa built the company and sport to what it is today. It was their tireless promotion and consistantcy as well as smart decision making that got them to this point. Pre-Zuffa some fighters were going home with literally $0. Without Zuffa hounding the PPV companies and government to accept them, there would be no UFC today. And fighters like GSP would be making like $10k instead of $3m per fight.

Every successful company in the world is structured that way.
You make fair points but I agree to disagree. Without the fighters there is literally no show for Zuffa to promote. That's what Dana and Lorenzo Frittata don't seem to understand. If that doesn't deserve more than 15% of the pie I don't know what to tell you. There isn't a single American professional sports league where the revenue split is so out of whack. Make no mistake this is exploitation.

Only thing that matters is if they can get the big name/big money fighters on board to back them up. If they can't, this will go nowhere.

It's the same reason why there's a boxing union that no one knows about and no one cares about because the only big name boxer backing it up is David Tua.
This. They have a very diverse group of fighters spread across the world. Going to take a lot more to organize than any local US sports league.

It'll be a long time before we potentially see any real changes as a result of a union though.
Also agree with this. It will most likely be a long drawn out process that takes at least a few years to agree to terms.

There was already the MMA Fighters Association, not sure what this new lot will offer.

one thing for sure, Zuffa's lawyers probably already have wheels in motion to sue them for trademark infringement.

PFA_new-03.png
UFC have the octagon trademarked as far as cage, ring mat and logo

Can be 100% sure that logo will be a trademark infringement.

This. They have a very diverse group of fighters spread across the world. Going to take a lot more to organize than any local US sports league.

Also agree with this. It will most likely be a long drawn out process that takes at least a few years to agree to terms.
I think the big obstacle will be getting the bigger names (who stand to profit little at the expense of maybe rubbing brass the wrong way) and up-and-comers/fan-favorites (who stand to profit but perhaps draw ire) to get behind it.

Back