Problems with the instructor

instructor not apologizing is fucking gay on his part, but to be fair though.. you are a white belt... white belts tend to be very spastic (whether they acknowledge it or not) and can cause others to injur them or injure others more often than other belts.

deadlyshaolin said:
To the original poster, how do you feel about their offer for resolution? I think it's very reasonable of them, and I'd accept their offer if I were you.

The month of January has allready been paid so I have til the beginning of Feb to withdraw myself from thr school. That is what I plan on doing.

At the moment my lip is starting to return to normal size and I am not allowed to do any BJJ for 2 more weeks.

After I withdraw myself from the school I still have not decided if I want to continue training there. Even at no cost to me, right now it is 50/50 that I will return. By the Spring I do plan on leaving Maui returning to the Washington DC area.

Resident A-hole said:
It's cool that they are gonna help you out. But even if the guy thought it was a nosebleed, he should've been apologetic for causing it- especially against a new guy. I'm sure the staff knows guys won't stick around if they feel they are getting cheap shotted.

I inadvertantly poked a guy in the eye in practice last night & his contact fell out, I felt like a total ass. I must've apologized 10 times & made sure he was OK. If I drew blood on accident, I'd be very apologetic.
The instructor is Brazilian and his assistant is an American. The assistant is an ex-marine, former wrestler, wannabe tuffguy. If a guy just got his arm snapped in a wicked armbar, he would expect the injured student to finish the class. Kind of a Matt Hughes on TUF 2 type.

He naturally assumes that all injuries are minor and no need to apologize for thinks like eyepokes, elbows to the nose/mouth etc. Almost the polar opposite of the other instructors who stress safety first. You do not want to create a reputation as a guy who injures people. It is bad for business and then good luck finding training partners.

That crap is unacceptable, he is supposed to be a brown belt with the knowledge and control that comes with that rank. Send the mediacal bills to the school and ask them what they plan on doing about it.

I have accidently caught people with elbows or knees when rolling and I immediately stop and apologized. The same has happened to me. Go talk to the brown belt and nicely tell him what happened. The way he answers you will tell you alot about him. If he is an asshole then go to another school, get better at rolling and go back and kick his ass.

hayliks said:
instructor not apologizing is fucking gay on his part, but to be fair though.. you are a white belt... white belts tend to be very spastic (whether they acknowledge it or not) and can cause others to injur them or injure others more often than other belts.
I agree. Some of the whitebelts in the class are wild and don't know the consequences of yanking a tight armbar. But for a guy who is a Brown Belt this should not be anything new. With over 2 decades of grappling experience (wrestling and BJJ) he should know what he is getting into with a whitebelt. Especially one who he has rolled with for months allready and not one who just signed up.

One thing though. When I was rolling with him. He was manhandling me. I was in survival mode the entire time. From turtle position to getting armbarred, triangled, RNCd and finally GnPd.

Why are you aking all these HAOLES their opinion for? Your sig preaches hate.

Maybe you called the Brown Belt 'Haole" one too many times. Some people don't like it.

MMAFAN05 said:
Why are you aking all these HAOLES their opinion for? Your sig preaches hate.
Dude please don't get me started,

Hawaii is a conquered nation. We have a history that dates before Roman times, a Royal Family that we are proud of, land and waters blessed with beauty and fertility. Most importantly A FUCKING IDENTITY. It has nothing to do with the Mayflower, Thanksgiving, George Wallace, Slavery, The Kennedys, W, etc.

When people come from Saudi Arabia buy your back yard from your corrupt government officials, build a hotel on what was once your back yard and hand you a broom to sweep up the lobby. Then they claim they are fighting poverty by creating minimum wage jobs. Then you will know what hate means. That very same thing happened to us.

I don't expect you to understand all theis. After all you must be an American. You fight the good fight. You have the right to murder people in the name of US interests (Iraq), Nuke People in the name of Peace (Hiroshima and Nagasaki) and starve people in the name of Freedom (Cuba).

Despite bieng illegally annexed, despite your rusting junkyard in Pearl Harbor leaking toxic sludge that kills the reefs, despite your corporate overdevelopment of sacred land. The one thing I hate American Ignorance most. You did not save Hawaii from poverty or a Japanese invasion. Even so, I would much rather be eating Mangos, MahiMahi, Ono and pineapples instead of McDonalds, KFC and Bubba Gump crap. And BTW the Japanese will always be more welcome than you.

MAHALO BRA

El Tiburon said:
Even so, I would much rather be eating Mangos, MahiMahi, Ono and pineapples instead of McDonalds . . .

But McDonalds in HI has that delicious Spam and Rice. How could you pick ANYTHING over Spam????

MMAFAN05 said:
Wow I guess you told me. the fact is I didn't do any of those things. My wife is from the Big Island ( Kau) and my son is happa (spelling? you should know what I mean). So yes I do take offense to that word. The fact is NOW that people should be accepted for WHO they are, and NOT what they look like. I too would rather eat Lau-Lau or Kalua Pork instead of Micky D's. I made a lot of good friends while we lived there. They are opened minded and treat people they way they are treated. Go to the islands and act like an ass, like you betta than them, and you will get your ass kicked. Blend in and meet the people, party with some Steinlagers (another thing I miss about the islands) and pacalolo (spelling again, but you know) and talk story. Even the most Local people were respectful if treated the same. I've been out to the brush in Puna to pick some bud off my friend's plants with some locals, and never feared that I would get jumped or beat when I was outnumbered 5-1. The point I was trying to make was the word can be used to describe someone (foreigner) or used as hate (that f'n Haole). You seem to be using it as Hate. If that's how you truly feel about white's so be it. This is a MMA forum. We all have something in common here, even if we are different races or nationalities. Maybe next time I get to the B.I. I'll pm you and we can hook up, and talk story, and train BJJ. Peace, brah.

So you have seen with your own eyes what the Aloha spirit means. Yes, one acts like he is superior because he/she is wearing a Rolex, Driving an SL 55 AMG and wearing designer Italian clothes. That may work in Los Angeles but here it alienates you.

The look here is cheap flip flops, a T-shirt or an Aloha shirt and shorts. Throw in a Maui Cruiser (Just a humble car) and everybody will treat you like a Brother/Sister. Hawaii has a certain modesty to it. That is called the Aloha Spirit for those of you who have never been here. When that Aloha Spirit gets overwhelmed by Corporate America Pele (Volcaino) will be very upset.

Well, enough of that. This forum is about MMA and I apologize for flying off on this tangent.
Thank all of you who responded to this thread.

Mahalo

Keleko

El Tiburon said:
Hawaii is a conquered nation. We have a history that dates before Roman times,

Umm, the Hawaiian islands weren't even inhabited until approximately 400 A.D. The Roman Republic started nearly one thousand years before that. And the Roman Empire at least 300 years before Hawaii was inhabited by any human. You're bascily off by a good thousand years on your historic claims here.

El Tiburon said:
I would much rather be eating Mangos, MahiMahi, Ono and pineapples

You do realize that pineapples are not native to Hawaii right? They were were actually introduced to the islands by 'haoles'. As a matter of fact, the Hawaiian word for pineapple is halakahiki, which means

El Tiburon said:
I spoke to the instructor earlier today. He defended his assistant by telling me that he has known him for over 12 years and that he is not a cheapshot artist. He apologized for the incident and told me that if I wanted out of the contract, he would have no problem with that. Also he told me that he did not want to lose me as a student so even if I want out of the contract. He would let me train there for the next 3 months for free.

Later in the day I got a call from his assistant. He told me that the elbow was an accident and that he did not think that the injury was as serious. in his words "I thought you had a nosebleed." He apologized and told me that he will talk with with the staff about having them all chip in to cover some of the dental expenses.

SHit!, i swallow my words, that sounds totally reasonable. Unless they read this thread and shit themselves :)

KOU In3 said:
Umm, the Hawaiian islands weren't even inhabited until approximately 400 A.D. The Roman Republic started nearly one thousand years before that. And the Roman Empire at least 300 years before Hawaii was inhabited by any human. You're bascily off by a good thousand years on your historic claims here.

You do realize that pineapples are not native to Hawaii right? They were were actually introduced to the islands by 'haoles'. As a matter of fact, the Hawaiian word for pineapple is halakahiki, which means

Oktavius said:
SHit!, i swallow my words, that sounds totally reasonable. Unless they read this thread and shit themselves :)

LOL I never thought of that. It is apossibility that they did.

El Tiburon said:
Hawaii was first inhabited around approximately 250 BC by peoples of unknown origin most likeley Polynesians from Tahiti. However this can never be proven nor can your claim of this happening around 400 AD. Simply because they are both based on Polynesian folklore.

Actually, many of the scientific sources I've come across put it closer to ~750 A.D. At 400 A.D. I was quoting the most generous source I'd seen. You really should have a better handle on your history here.

El Tiburon said:
If you are trying to claim that by bringing us Pineapples and Mangos in exchange for our land and identity was a fair trade then your self-rightiousness is sickening. Just as sick as your president DUBBAYOO. Also if you are going to pretend to know something about Hawaii please come here instead of reading a fictitious haole writings like James Micheners. I know most Americans have never even seen the inside of an Airplane so for you it will most likeley be the trip of a lifetime. Start saving your tips.

Kindly stop attempting to put words in my mouth. Your militant attitude, lack of real knowledge, and arguing against points I never made in an effort to regurgitate your quasi-militaristic racism is a pitiful attempt to shore up your lack of an appropriate rebuttal to the points at hand.

KOU In3 said:
Actually, many of the scientific sources I've come across put it closer to ~750 A.D. At 400 A.D. I was quoting the most generous source I'd seen. You really should have a better handle on your history here.

Kindly stop attempting to put words in my mouth. Your militant attitude, lack of real knowledge, and arguing against points I never made in an effort to regurgitate your quasi-militaristic racism is a pitiful attempt to shore up your lack of an appropriate rebuttal to the points at hand.

I have no rebuttal for your claims of where Pineapples and Mangos came from or what year someone set foot on these islands. Those things mean very little when it comes to the topic at hand. What I am saying is that you have no explanation or justification for the Illegal Anexation of our land.

Also please quit bringing up racism. There was no racism here until the US invasion.

Back