Problems with the instructor

wow what an asshole. He didnt even apologize? Wtf is wrong with him. And especially since ur a beginner and everything he shouldnt of went so hard on you. Hey just keep ur head up man and if i were you i would try and talk to him about it.

i'd talk to the brown belt about what happened.
Let him know(if he doesn't already know) ur tooth chipped because of his elbow the other night.
I would say it in a pc, objective way; not in a accusatory way.
He if doesn't apologize, he's a prick. I would then stress that injury costed you $1,250 for the crown.

After that, I would speak to the head instructor and kindy request your contract to be terminated.
Your reason is:

1st -Your brown belt assistant instructor was negligent(sp?) in the safety of it's students. Students
accidentally injuring other students is understandable when participating any physical sport, esp in MA.
(We all signed some form of waiver understanding this; and that the school is not liable.)
Injury as a result from any member of the staff, esp the assistant instructor, is unacceptable.

2nd -Adding insult to injury, this instructor did not express concern for it's student after the injury.
After explaining to him what had objectively happened, he still has not apologized. As a result, you
are concerned about your future safety if you continue to train at this school. You thereby wish to
terminate your contract.

I don't think you can sue for that crown, but if presented properly, I don't see why you can't get out
of your contract.

lethalweapon said:
i'd talk to the brown belt about what happened.
Let him know(if he doesn't already know) ur tooth chipped because of his elbow the other night.
I would say it in a pc, objective way; not in a accusatory way.
He if doesn't apologize, he's a prick. I would then stress that injury costed you $1,250 for the crown.

After that, I would speak to the head instructor and kindy request your contract to be terminated.
Your reason is:

1st -Your brown belt assistant instructor was negligent(sp?) in the safety of it's students. Students
accidentally injuring other students is understandable when participating any physical sport, esp in MA.
(We all signed some form of waiver understanding this; and that the school is not liable.)
Injury as a result from any member of the staff, esp the assistant instructor, is unacceptable.

2nd -Adding insult to injury, this instructor did not express concern for it's student after the injury.
After explaining to him what had objectively happened, he still has not apologized. As a result, you
are concerned about your future safety if you continue to train at this school. You thereby wish to
terminate your contract.

I don't think you can sue for that crown, but if presented properly, I don't see why you can't get out
of your contract.

I am going to talk to the Head instructor tomorrow. I was really hot about the incident these past couple of days but I feel like I have calmed down alot. My lip is still very swolen and the stiches will come out later this week. I am more pissed about the $1250+ the ER bill that is coming. It happened just after paying the rent so the checking account was so thin that my GF had to contribute. She is even more pissed than I am.

I will bring up getting out of the contract. Hopefully he will cooperate. If not then I will have to resort to talking to a lawyer (Plan B).

Wow, sounds like an asshole. Did he even ask if you were ok? Fuck that shit, that must have been intentional, a brown belt should be able to handle a new whitey without much effort, not spazzing out and dropping BIGGER than UFC elbows. Fuck him.

El Tiburon said:
I will bring up getting out of the contract. Hopefully he will cooperate. If not then I will have to resort to talking to a lawyer (Plan B).

Great.

Sounds like you have the right attitude about this. Just be calm but assertive, and make sure you let him know about potential legal action if he gives you any hassle at all about the contract.

Also, please don't let this discourage you from training BJJ. I know the guy was a brown belt which is totally shocking to me, but please understand that the vast majority of BJJ guys are really cool. This guy is just a complete dick.

I encourage you to find another BJJ or grappling school in the area. If you train hard enough, someday you can go back into the other school and wipe the floor with that brown belt. That would be motivation for me at least.

The only other thing I can think of, is you have done something wrong, and this was retribution. There are other threads in this forum, about how to handle people who go too strong, hard, spastic, etc. This is not an accusation, sicne after all, I don't know you. Just seems that this might be an explanation, especially why he didn't apologize, etc. Definitely worth having a talk with him, as well as the head instructor. Maybe get them together for a sit down.

Flounder said:
The only other thing I can think of, is you have done something wrong, and this was retribution. There are other threads in this forum, about how to handle people who go too strong, hard, spastic, etc. This is not an accusation, sicne after all, I don't know you. Just seems that this might be an explanation, especially why he didn't apologize, etc. Definitely worth having a talk with him, as well as the head instructor. Maybe get them together for a sit down.
That's still not much of an excuse. He should have the maturity and discipline to approach him off the mats and explain what issue he may have with him rather than busting the guy's teeth in. One thing I am thinking is if you signed a contract with them you should be able to claim your medical costs on the club's insurance since it was one of the secondary instructors that was responsible for damaging your grill rather than your own irresponsible actions. It's their responsibility since their instructor and brown belt caused the damage and I'm assuming in the contract there is something about providing a safe environment for you to learn in.

if the training is good take it in stride and stay away from him...your there to learn, so learn for the best..just stay away from goons

I'd start showing up for class ever day that I could. I'd train hard than I ever have. It's fuel if you use it as such. Now I know it sucks that this asshole chipped up you tooth.

I wouldn't go talking to the head instructor or even the guy for that matter because if neither spoke to you than it's a pretty good chance that neither would really care.

My head instructor is protective for lower level students because he realizes that how your school grows. I have seen him roast upper belts for hurting lower belts.

Here a little story that happen to me. I had a purple belt when I first started once put an armbar on me so hard it hyperextended my elbow. I let him know that I thought that sh*t was uncalled for and to at least give me a chance to tap on an armlock. After thinking about it though I realized it was partially my fault I had him stacked so hard on a guard pass that we was extending his hips with all of his might once I lost my balance the pressure I had on him was greatly reduced but he was still extending his hips with force. The rest is history. Now this story is alittle different than yours but its food for thought.

If you no longer feel good training there than you should find a new school. PERIOD!

BTW, just about any school will let you out of the contract if you threaten legal action based on an injury. The litigation costs the school would incur would be far greater than you tuition for the year.

My .02

Balto said:
I would quit if it's as you said. The guy should have apologized at least.

And about your twelve month commitment, unless you gave them your bank account number or something it is probably not enforcable. How are they going to collect the money from you? Sue you for it?

I used to teach at a martial arts academy that had yearly contracts (at least). I know from talking to the manager that if someone just decided to quit, they did not collect on the contract. It was too much hassle and bad publicity to go through that. Not worth it for a few hundred dollars. They just let people out of the contract if they decided to stop coming.
It's not always that simple if if you walk out on a contract & they do decide to go after your money.

When I was a stupid 19yr old, I joined a World Gym for the summer while I was home from college. I signed the papers without really reading everything & didn't think anything of it. I paid my dues for 3 months, then went away to school again & never went there again. Fast forward to 3 years later when I go to apply for a mortgage, & they examine my credit report. It appears I have a $550 collection from an unpaid balance at World Gym. Turns out there was a clause that I needed to cancel in writing & it was a 1yr minimum contract. I had to settle up with them before I could get a home loan. I'm pretty sure MA contracts are the same. They'll get you in the end if you signed anything...

Resident A-hole said:
It's not always that simple if if you walk out on a contract & they do decide to go after your money.

When I was a stupid 19yr old, I joined a World Gym for the summer while I was home from college. I signed the papers without really reading everything & didn't think anything of it. I paid my dues for 3 months, then went away to school again & never went there again. Fast forward to 3 years later when I go to apply for a mortgage, & they examine my credit report. It appears I have a $550 collection from an unpaid balance at World Gym. Turns out there was a clause that I needed to cancel in writing & it was a 1yr minimum contract. I had to settle up with them before I could get a home loan. I'm pretty sure MA contracts are the same. They'll get you in the end if you signed anything...

Did you ever challenge this or put up any protest? Because as I said, usually the reason they don't mess with the contract is that it is unenforcable.

http://cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap420.htm

Here is a link to the laws in Connecticut on the subject. Basically it says that any health club (martial arts is considered health club) has to let you out of your contract if you cancel it for certain reasons. One reason is moving far away from the health club (more than 25 miles).

They also have to cancel it if you are disabled. You could claim disability for just about anything.

All I'm saying is that you can't really be locked into a contract like that if you choose not to. Just because you signed something doesn't mean it's enforceable. Especially when it comes to martial arts and health club stuff, the law is heavily in favor of the consumer.

That's one reason why so many martial arts schools go out of business. It's almost impossible to enforce long term contracts.

maybe a stupid question, but don't you have an insurance with your commitment to that class, here in Belgium you practically always have an insurance if you become member of a martial arts club, wich is exactly the same as taking a 'contract' for a year, ofcourse as far as I know

the guy is an asshole, he probably has a big ego becous he's an assistant.
I'm kind of a dirty guy on that area, I have a personal problem with an assistant over at one of the clubs where I train, actually he's just an asshole, he punches to your throat on purpose etc.., well I just punched him on his throat an 'accidently' kneed him in the crotch, fuck him, oke it may play a roll that I train also alot in other clubs and that he's not really about to shool me totally if it comes down to fighting

I spoke to the instructor earlier today. He defended his assistant by telling me that he has known him for over 12 years and that he is not a cheapshot artist. He apologized for the incident and told me that if I wanted out of the contract, he would have no problem with that. Also he told me that he did not want to lose me as a student so even if I want out of the contract. He would let me train there for the next 3 months for free.

Later in the day I got a call from his assistant. He told me that the elbow was an accident and that he did not think that the injury was as serious. in his words "I thought you had a nosebleed." He apologized and told me that he will talk with with the staff about having them all chip in to cover some of the dental expenses.

That's pretty responsible of them. I would take them up on the 3 months of free training saying that I need to get my finances straight but would probably re-enroll as soon as they were settled.

Even still, you think you'd apologizing for bowing someone in the nose during a JJ practice.

It's cool that they are gonna help you out. But even if the guy thought it was a nosebleed, he should've been apologetic for causing it- especially against a new guy. I'm sure the staff knows guys won't stick around if they feel they are getting cheap shotted.

I inadvertantly poked a guy in the eye in practice last night & his contact fell out, I felt like a total ass. I must've apologized 10 times & made sure he was OK. If I drew blood on accident, I'd be very apologetic.

To the original poster, how do you feel about their offer for resolution? I think it's very reasonable of them, and I'd accept their offer if I were you.

that's pretty nice of them

they're maybe not so bad at all..

Back