Pro Wrestlers Who Have Competed In MMA

I think Shinsuke Nakamura probably had the best record. Katsuyori Shibata got chewed up and spit out, which was a shame since everything about him screams bad ass shoot fighter.

edit: Nevermind, just saw Bobby Lashley's record. Holy shit.

I think Shinsuke Nakamura probably had the best record. Katsuyori Shibata got chewed up and spit out, which was a shame since everything about him screams bad ass shoot fighter.

edit: Nevermind, just saw Bobby Lashley's record. Holy shit.
Lashley lost everytime he fought someone with a pulse. Not bad tho for a pro wrestler, and if he focused more on it he would have been better in MMA

Alberto Del Rio

NOC11_Photo_165.jpg

CooperativeAbsoluteAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

Katsuyori Shibata

tumblr_o0mpcddf541ti2dqho1_500.png

EnchantedRealAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

Yuji Nagata, ace of NJPW and king of the G1 tournament. Only had two legit fights, going against prime Cro Cop and prime Fedor. Let's see how that went:

Thread makes me want a Taka vs. Punk fight, just for the visual of Taka beating the shit out of Punk

Nagata's MMA career lasted less than two minutes. He had no business even being on the same card as Fedor or Cro Cop, let alone being in the same ring as them. Fucking Inoki and his obsession with pushing wrestlers into shoots. Liger got smashed too, competing with his damn mask on.

Fucked Nagata's pro-wrestling career up too, as who could take him seriously as a headliner after seeing him get wrecked in seconds? The fact that he was a complete novice going up against two of the most brutal killer heavyweights ever didn't matter, just that New Japan's heavyweight ace got starched.

Last edited:
Nagata's MMA career lasted less than two minutes. He had no business even being on the same card as Fedor or Cro Cop, let alone being in the same ring as them. Fucking Inoki and his obsession with pushing wrestlers into shoots. Liger got smashed too, competing with his damn mask on.

Fucked Nagata's pro-wrestling career up too, as who could take him seriously as a headliner after seeing him get wrecked in seconds? The fact that he was a complete novice going up against two of the most brutal killer heavyweights ever didn't matter, just that New Japan's heavyweight ace got starched.

Inoki basically told him "You've got an amateur wrestling background, you'll be fine"...Not against Fedor and Cro Cop he won't. Inoki put the IWGP heavyweight belt on Fujita like a year afterwards, simply because he gave Fedor a fight, even though he sucked as a prowrestler.

the whole locker room just competed at shanes underground, pal

Inoki basically told him "You've got an amateur wrestling background, you'll be fine"...Not against Fedor and Cro Cop he won't. Inoki put the IWGP heavyweight belt on Fujita like a year afterwards, simply because he gave Fedor a fight, even though he sucked as a prowrestler.
Inoki had lost the plot by this point. Seeing him pushed out of the company he founded was sad, but necessary, otherwise New Japan was going under. Pro wrestling and pro fighting are not the same thing.

Inoki had lost the plot by this point. Seeing him pushed out of the company he founded was sad, but necessary, otherwise New Japan was going under. Pro wrestling and pro fighting are not the same thing.

I used to be a big Inoki mark because of the whole "Strong-Style" aspect and how he tried to prove not all pro wrestlers were "fake fighters" but looking back it was obvious he lost his mind and was extremely egotistical too acknowledge his faults. You would think Inoki would have been happy how promotions like Pancrase founded by pro wrestlers like Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki or the success of Kazushi Sakuraba proved his "philosophy" of pro wrestlers being able to fight correct (in a time when a lot of people were ignorant of Catch Wrestling and the old school era of people like Lou Thesz) but no, instead it's been reported he was jealous and had negatives opinions on Pancrase.

It's really no mystery why Mutoh jumped ship when he did. Inoki would have been all over him because of his judo background, no matter that Mutoh was 15 years out of competition and that his knees were basically beef jerky by that point.

I never liked the Bam Bam Bigelow fight with Kimo.
I wasn't even a wrestling fan back then and would have enjoyed watching a wrestler lose to an mma fighter.

But when I first saw that fight I remember thinking that it seemed like everything was stacked against Bam Bam. For one, Kimo was holding the fence to secure his position. Any time Bam Bam grabbed the fence to hoist himself up his hand was knocked away by the ref. It seemed to be one of the most blatant times in which everything was set up for one opponent to lose.

Anybody remember that one time a Japanese Indy MMA promotion called DEEP had this deal with a Lucha Libre promotion that led to a number of Lucha wrestlers to participate in MMA fights including old school ones passed their prime like Kato Kung Lee and Canek?

That was weird.

Back