Pro Wrestlers Who Have Competed In MMA

Dr. Death
tbwF1zD.jpg

Steve Williams
0-1 in MMA
lMx4tlI.gif

Bart Gunn
fpy8oX6.jpg

Bart was half of the tag team the "Smoking Gunns" but aside from that he never had much stand out success in pro wrestling. He is best known for winning the "Brawl for All"
1REvNn7.jpg

0iAl8lF.jpg

dFwLobG.gif

8DqjkfA.gif

C4YNKSa.gif

He did however lose in the end to Butterbean.
49vYSex.gif
Mike Polchlopek
1-1 in MMA
GxlXfwL.jpg

Can't include Japanese wrestlers or else the list is just too long.

Pretty sure Nathan Jones vs Koji Kitao was a worked bout, one of several that Pride initially weren't shy about promoting. Takada's wins all were, and his final bout was apparently an accidental shoot, as he was supposed to win that one; Tamura didn't look happy when he knocked Takada out.

Pretty sure Nathan Jones vs Koji Kitao was a worked bout, one of several that Pride initially weren't shy about promoting. Takada's wins all were, and his final bout was apparently an accidental shoot, as he was supposed to win that one; Tamura didn't look happy when he knocked Takada out.
i always thought tamura was upset w/ the takada ko because of their work history going all the way back to 91 and their student/teacher relationship when he first transitioned to UWFi.
his match w/ takada in 93 was considered his breakthrough performance.

tho come to think of it, the crying could work both ways for work or shoot.

i met tamura at k-1 dynamite 2007 and he was surprisingly very friendly.

i always thought tamura was upset w/ the takada ko because of their work history going all the way back to 91 and their student/teacher relationship when he first transitioned to UWFi.
his match w/ takada in 93 was considered his breakthrough performance.

i met tamura at k-1 dynamite 2007 and he was surprisingly very friendly.
It could be that. I'd always heard that Takada was meant to win, only Tamura managed to spark him out, but that could easily be wrong.

Ken Shamrock started out as a pro wrestler working for Smokey Mountain Wrestling before traveling to Japan to take part in shootwrestling promotions like UWF-i until finally making the transition to MMA in Pancrase.

It could be that. I'd always heard that Takada was meant to win, only Tamura managed to spark him out, but that could easily be wrong.
Yeah, that's not how it went down. They just had Takada fight Tamura because of all the history between them. And Tamura cried at the end because, for all of their animosity, Takada was a huge inspiration to him in many ways and his sempai back in the day. It was just very emotional for him--Takada was his mentor on one hand and a guy who tried to destroy him in Pride with crappy booking and undermine him after he left UWF-I on the other.

Yeah, that's basically what it was. And because of the way Takada and a lot of the UWF-I began to feud with Tamura after he left them during the NJPW-UWFi feud. Takada was definitely behind the bad match-making that Tamura received in Pride, going against Bob Sapp, etc. and almost never fighting guys his size.

Ken Shamrock started out as a pro wrestler working for Smokey Mountain Wrestling before traveling to Japan to take part in shootwrestling promotions like UWF-i until finally making the transition to MMA in Pancrase.
ken started in ACW, not smoky mountain.

ken started in ACW, not smoky mountain.
Interesting thing about pre-UWF Vince Tortelli-era Shamrock is that he definitely knew some submissions. He does a rolling Kimura into a headscissor, among other legit submission holds, in his match against Mark Fleming.

Yeah, that's basically what it was. And because of the way Takada and a lot of the UWF-I began to feud with Tamura after he left them during the NJPW-UWFi feud. Takada was definitely behind the bad match-making that Tamura received in Pride, going against Bob Sapp, etc. and almost never fighting guys his size.
Shame that it was legit in a way then. Would have been more apt had it been an accidental KO in what should have been a work. Or "accidental".

Dr. Death
tbwF1zD.jpg

Steve Williams
0-1 in MMA
lMx4tlI.gif

One of my biggest Sherdog head-scratchers were the people who were upset when Nakamura beat Ignashov. Especially the professed Japanese MMA fans. For what he did to Steve Williams alone the man had to go down.

Young Dr. Death is almost a guaranteed MMA champion though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back