News Pro-Ali Act Anderson Silva Talks Fighter Pay with Weidman: "Why Don't [UFC] Respect the Fighters"

Hopefully The Chris can get cut by UFC and earn money elsewhere post recovery

Several good points made. Wish Anderson spoke about this more often/represent the sport in this fashion.

After they discuss their injuries, Anderson Silva discusses the UFC and fighter pay at length. It's interesting because Silva, for my memory, is by far the most famous UFC fighter to not only raise the larger fighter pay issue but also express support for the Ali Act in mma.

Also, so to the thread isn't all doom and gloom, Silva mentions that he called Jon Jones to get his blessing to replace him against Cormier at UFC 200, which is peak Silva and goddamn hilarious.

Cliffs (starts about 23 min)
-"Of course I make a lot of money with UFC, but it's not comparable to how much I make for the UFC." The UFC gave him fame, but "Why don't you pay me correctly?"

-"UFC is a very strong brand, but UFC is nothing when you don't have you [Weidman], me, or the fighters."

-"Me and you and the older fighters make a lot of success for the UFC and give the UFC a lot of power [he's talking about the UFC's market power here, not actual power between fighters/promoter]." Wonders how many fans keep watching because they saw their two fights, and mentions how the UFC still makes money off of them.

-Complains about lack of health care for retired fighters, says he's lucky because he saved money. Implies the UFC did Jacare dirty by not resigning/releasing him out right after he got his arm broken.

-Older mma promotions didn't have the power the UFC had. Interesting given Silva fought in Pride.

-Says UFC changed after WME purchase, didn't feel like home. Lorenzo made the UFC feel like family. Implies that WME doesn't understand the fight business/martial arts

-Says it's strange that the UFC doesn't put everything [I assume he means financials] on the table, but answers his question by saying it would give fighters too much power.

-Mentions that fighters don't talk about these issues because they're scared. Weidman jokes that's why he hasn't said a thing yet and is only listening.

-Silva hints that he didn't get along with Dana because he would speak his mind.

-Silva says the new generation needs to wake up and realize that the UFC hasn't gotten better.

-Silva considers the UFC both a singular promoter and manager. [Pretty significant opinion because that's an Ali Act violation in boxing]. He, no surprise, prefers the promoter landscape in boxing.

Anderson’s not the first. GSP along with some other big names tried to get a union going back in 2016 that fell flat on it’s face

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11...e-four-other-ufc-stars-announce-launch-of-mma

After they discuss their injuries, Anderson Silva discusses the UFC and fighter pay at length. It's interesting because Silva, for my memory, is by far the most famous UFC fighter to not only raise the larger fighter pay issue but also express support for the Ali Act in mma.

Also, so to the thread isn't all doom and gloom, Silva mentions that he called Jon Jones to get his blessing to replace him against Cormier at UFC 200, which is peak Silva and goddamn hilarious.

Cliffs (starts about 23 min)
-"Of course I make a lot of money with UFC, but it's not comparable to how much I make for the UFC." The UFC gave him fame, but "Why don't you pay me correctly?"

-"UFC is a very strong brand, but UFC is nothing when you don't have you [Weidman], me, or the fighters."

-"Me and you and the older fighters make a lot of success for the UFC and give the UFC a lot of power [he's talking about the UFC's market power here, not actual power between fighters/promoter]." Wonders how many fans keep watching because they saw their two fights, and mentions how the UFC still makes money off of them.

-Complains about lack of health care for retired fighters, says he's lucky because he saved money. Implies the UFC did Jacare dirty by not resigning/releasing him out right after he got his arm broken.

-Older mma promotions didn't have the power the UFC had. Interesting given Silva fought in Pride.

-Says UFC changed after WME purchase, didn't feel like home. Lorenzo made the UFC feel like family. Implies that WME doesn't understand the fight business/martial arts

-Says it's strange that the UFC doesn't put everything [I assume he means financials] on the table, but answers his question by saying it would give fighters too much power.

-Mentions that fighters don't talk about these issues because they're scared. Weidman jokes that's why he hasn't said a thing yet and is only listening.

-Silva hints that he didn't get along with Dana because he would speak his mind.

-Silva says the new generation needs to wake up and realize that the UFC hasn't gotten better.

-Silva considers the UFC both a singular promoter and manager. [Pretty significant opinion because that's an Ali Act violation in boxing]. He, no surprise, prefers the promoter landscape in boxing.

If you watch video he seems like he isn’t happy with people that took over UFC. He liked Ferttita bros and they where known to pay big extra bonuses. They used to buy guys luxury cars too

Anderson’s not the first. GSP along with some other big names tried to get a union going back in 2016 that fell flat on it’s face

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11...e-four-other-ufc-stars-announce-launch-of-mma

Oh you mean the union lead by that snake Bjorn. The one GSP left as soon he got the pay raise he wanted lol. Gsp sure cared all about those poor fighters and getting them paid lol.

There will never be a Union because fight game is all about getting yours and screw everyone else. We have seen this time and time again.

If you watch video he seems like he isn’t happy with people that took over UFC. He liked Ferttita bros and they where known to pay big extra bonuses. They used to buy guys luxury cars too

True, Silva's not just talking about money but the caring of fighters in general too.

Like he gave the example of Jacare getting cut while his arm just got put in a cast. The old regime would have atleast taken care of him, maybe give him one more fight or atleast cut him at a much later time.

They also hooked up a lot of the old vets with gigs post-fighting. Silva is saying that the family vibe is gone now.

18% of revenue going to fighters is highway robbery.

I respect what Dana and Lorenzo achieved, its absolutely spectacular, but its long overdue to give these guys a fair share.
It's actually less.

UFC Facilities (PI and I assume the APEX) along with USADA is included by the UFC as fighter compensation.

There is not enough space at any PI to train all of ATT let alone all UFC fighters. Maybe one of the smaller but more well known gyms in Vegas could fit into a PI and that's it. So space is limited and you have to bring your coaches etc. It's not like the UFC provides the coaches, could you imagine what a shit show that would be, apart from a limited access to a S&C coach, the guy directly responsible for Nicco Montano, then you are on your own.

Including USADA is a slap in the face. It's only there to help sell the idea that the UFC is a major sport and should one of their guys or girls pumped full of PEDs kills their opponent in the cage they can use it in Congress as a talking point to not have the entire MMA scene banned.

Fighters lost leverage three times. First when WME purchased the UFC. They aggressively cut costs both in production staff and fighter pay and then again when ESPN came in. The guaranteed income for the UFC from ESPN means they don't have to depend on PPV stars. With the IPO launch quarterly profits need to increase year over year for shareholders and Wall Street to not punish WME. Which they can due to the massive debt they have to service. Lets not forget that on or before the ESPN deal a lot of stars that made money from the UFC exited and to pay them the UFC had to fork out over IIRC 500 Million. I think they were left with under 100 Million for next years operating expenses and then the ESPN money started pouring in.

Actual fighter compensation is probably 14-15% tops.

VERY cool podcast :) shit had me emotional not gonna lie.

also impressed by the Spiders English, thought it was much worse !

liked & subscribed to the Chris podcast, dude is great on the mic !
Chael was right all along, Silva just pretends to not speak English!
Meh, you get paid what you’re worth
Odd that you assume the mma market is a free and competitive market when all signs point to the opposite.

Yeah, but GSP and those fighters never spoke about it in detail. It was just "we need a union," a tactic that GSP bailed on as soon as he got his new contract for the Bisping fight. Not to mention the fact that you have a promoter in the form of Bjorn and then two of the most prominent Trump supporters in Cerrone and Kennedy as the face of your push means it sure isn't a serious attempt to unionize.

The only solution is to LEAVE UFC, one belt not owned by promoters, Coker and the Japanese from Rizing should organize that

Imagine that.. saying to Conor and Jones that they would have 50% of the PPV, and they could have Rolex or Nike as sponsors

I like Anderson but he should of been saying this when he was on top of the world if this is how he felt. Does not mean as much now that he is no longer under contract.

The only solution is to LEAVE UFC, one belt not owned by promoters, Coker and the Japanese from Rizing should organize that

Imagine that.. saying to Conor and Jones that they would have 50% of the PPV, and they could have Rolex or Nike as sponsors
If you strip belts you have to strip them industry wide. It's not like Bellator's rankings are any better than the UFC's.

DUHUHUH UFC BAD DANA BAD

BALD GOOF PINK GOOF GIVE ME LIKES PLEASE!!!!

If you strip belts you have to strip them industry wide. It's not like Bellator's rankings are any better than the UFC's.
mmm My English sucks and i dont understand exactly what u say

Im saying all of them should stop with Rizing, PFL, One, Bellator and have all the fighters with this new system that is like boxing, and convince the UFC guys to not sign another contract with them

They need to do it now that Conor is a huge name, and people would look to where he goes, UFC would close business in a couple of years after that, all the fighters would follow Conor, if they don't do it now would be too difficult later, they would get beat by the UFC brand

Last edited:
Im saying all of them should stop with Rizing, PFL, One, Bellator and have all the fighters with this new system that is like boxing, and convince the UFC guys to not sign another contract with them
OH, gotcha, then yes. You are correct, it would likely help fighter pay and leverage if belts and rankings were done by an independent body and spanned across different promotions. Unfortunately, unlikely to happen and Conor is still pretty weak compared to the UFC.

It's actually less.

UFC Facilities (PI and I assume the APEX) along with USADA is included by the UFC as fighter compensation.

There is not enough space at any PI to train all of ATT let alone all UFC fighters. Maybe one of the smaller but more well known gyms in Vegas could fit into a PI and that's it. So space is limited and you have to bring your coaches etc. It's not like the UFC provides the coaches, could you imagine what a shit show that would be, apart from a limited access to a S&C coach, the guy directly responsible for Nicco Montano, then you are on your own.

Including USADA is a slap in the face. It's only there to help sell the idea that the UFC is a major sport and should one of their guys or girls pumped full of PEDs kills their opponent in the cage they can use it in Congress as a talking point to not have the entire MMA scene banned.

Fighters lost leverage three times. First when WME purchased the UFC. They aggressively cut costs both in production staff and fighter pay and then again when ESPN came in. The guaranteed income for the UFC from ESPN means they don't have to depend on PPV stars. With the IPO launch quarterly profits need to increase year over year for shareholders and Wall Street to not punish WME. Which they can due to the massive debt they have to service. Lets not forget that on or before the ESPN deal a lot of stars that made money from the UFC exited and to pay them the UFC had to fork out over IIRC 500 Million. I think they were left with under 100 Million for next years operating expenses and then the ESPN money started pouring in.

Actual fighter compensation is probably 14-15% tops.
Espn deal only has 1.5 years remaining. Guaranteed money is NOT a big part of the valuation of the company. It’s all about the next deals now. Not sure why people think they can just coast now.

Espn deal only has 1.5 years remaining. Guaranteed money is NOT a big part of the valuation of the company. It’s all about the next deals now. Not sure why people think they can just coast now.
Could it be because the UFC coasted on dogshit cards throughout 2020?

Could it be because the UFC coasted on dogshit cards throughout 2020?
Again, your OPINION is dogshit.

Again, you respond to a factual point with your stupid opinion.

Seems like every fighter has bad things to say about the UFC and Dana after they retire. But are hush hush when they are active under contract.

Back