News Pro-Ali Act Anderson Silva Talks Fighter Pay with Weidman: "Why Don't [UFC] Respect the Fighters"

Espn deal only has 1.5 years remaining. Guaranteed money is NOT a big part of the valuation of the company. It’s all about the next deals now. Not sure why people think they can just coast now.
the deal has 4.5 years left. Runs through 2025.

Seems like every fighter has bad things to say about the UFC and Dana after they retire. But are hush hush when they are active under contract.
Nate Quarry talked about this recently. Was understanding for why non stars would be quiet but did call out the champs & big names.

Again, your OPINION is dogshit.

Again, you respond to a factual point with your stupid opinion.
So you're arguing that the UFC put out good quality cards consistently during 2020?

OH, gotcha, then yes. You are correct, it would likely help fighter pay and leverage if belts and rankings were done by an independent body and spanned across different promotions. Unfortunately, unlikely to happen and Conor is still pretty weak compared to the UFC.
Is the only way, i see that Conor is their only chance, they would have also Jones, Nate, Kabib, Izzy etc..they would sign with one of those channels like Showtime rigth away
All of them want to crush UFC, is kinda personal for some of them, is their only way to beat them, i dont know if somebody of them have tought of this

Is the only way, i see that Conor is they only chance, they would have also Jones, Nate, Kabib, Izzy etc..they would sign with one of those channels like Showtime rigth away
Yeah, which would require a lawsuit since it's not like all their contracts would run out around the same time. That's why I'm so pessimistic on it.
Two millionaires complaining about money lol.
So that makes your complaints invalid?

It’s not accurate to say they can cut you at any time for any reason.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31363340/diego-sanchez-no-longer-part-ufc-according-dana-white
"On Sanchez's behalf, an attorney informed the UFC the 39-year-old could not ensure his health was not compromised, as he is not a physician and has not recently undergone neurological evaluation. It was at this point that the UFC opted to cancel the fight and terminate Sanchez's contract."

Is there a reason why the UFC cannot cut a fighter?

Around this time the UFC was giving Bentleys and I know Jones and Silva got one, but at the time it was just reported as gifts of service, not a desperate attempt to keep him fighting. And how many times did the UFC fuck him over during his contracts, were his number of fights extended beyond his control?

Just seems like a lot of these vets are extremely relived to escape the UFC, and usually get shitty matchups on the way out no matter who you are. Silva should've gotten a more respectful matchup for his last fight, that Uriah Hall fight always rubbed me the wrong way. I know that fight had steam behind it for years, but that's how you want your legends to go out? Just thrown into very difficult fights in their 40's so you can do what exactly, see their value drop? No matter what they sacrificed and did for the company?

These legends deserved better, it's hard not to have very mixed feelings about the UFC.
Why do you think Dana doesn’t like GSP whether he admits it or not? GSP went out on his terms and called the shots and that irks Dana.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31363340/diego-sanchez-no-longer-part-ufc-according-dana-white
"On Sanchez's behalf, an attorney informed the UFC the 39-year-old could not ensure his health was not compromised, as he is not a physician and has not recently undergone neurological evaluation. It was at this point that the UFC opted to cancel the fight and terminate Sanchez's contract."

You technically have to come off a loss or violate the code of conduct to get cut. Otherwise, UFC had to pay our the contract.

Would you want your boss to have this much control over your career?
1. He or she can break the contract anytime.
2. If you try to leave at the end of the contract, your boss has the option to block you from leaving by adding $1 more than the competing offer.
3. You cannot have sponsors on your clothes. You have to sign away your likeness for a video game for the rest of your life.
The UFC holds all the cards.

NFL players on losing teams still make millions of dollars.
NBA players who sit on the bench as backup still make millions of dollars.
Baseball players who are injured for the season still make millions of dollars with a guaranteed contract.
But the UFC can cut you for any reason and not give you healthcare or a pension.

The UFC is a C-tier sports organization when teenagers think about being a professional athlete.
"...revenues going to fighters as compensation ranged from 18.6% to 20.3%".

If there are any lawyers here then pile up, but the UFC contract is prima facie a bogus agreement.

1. A real contract has language that both sides can each use to enforce a claim on the other.

imagine a fighter walking into court with his UFC contract and arguing, “My contract says the UFC agreed to do ________. Make them do it, judge!”

There is nothing in the contract to fill that blank in with.

2. A real contract has language in there from both sides. What stipulation has a fighter ever added to his contract?

3. The managers have a biz relation with both sides of the contract. Manager: “Yes your honor, 94% of my future earnings depend on UFC continuing to take in my fighter-stable, and yes, I send 94% of the clients to UFC and make nothing if they stay on the regionals, but I swear I still drove a hard bargain because that’s my principles.” That probably sinks the contract right there.

3. The managers have a biz relation with both sides of the contract. Manager: “Yes your honor, 94% of my future earnings depend on UFC continuing to take in my fighter-stable, and yes, I send 94% of the clients to UFC and make nothing if they stay on the regionals, but I swear I still drove a hard bargain because that’s my principles.” That probably sinks the contract right there.
This is probably one of the biggest problems in the industry, managers don't have a particular need to fulfill their fiduciary duty to singular fighters. It's the big issues with guys like Ali, who people on Sherdog point out as the best manager even though that's incongruent with being the promotion's favorite manager.

He was coming off a loss. They can cut off a loss.

So you're arguing that the UFC put out good quality cards consistently during 2020?
They did what they could given the circumstances. It’s not like they wanted fighters to be unavailable.

Great to hear Anderson & Weidman on good terms.

Weidman: "I'm still on the roster so I can't say much but I'm listening" == Highlights all that needs to be said.

Any aspiring UFC fighter or manager needs to understand this dialogue between two UFC Champions. . . This is real and Dana needs to be replaced with a more fighter-friendly mindset.

Espn deal only has 1.5 years remaining. Guaranteed money is NOT a big part of the valuation of the company. It’s all about the next deals now. Not sure why people think they can just coast now.
The ESPN deal was a significant selling point in the IPO documentation because of the consistent predictable cash flow. It was crucial in the IPO's launch.

Anybody that says consistent and predictable cash flow is not a big part when it comes to valuation has no business speaking on the subject. Ever.

The ESPN deal was a significant selling point in the IPO documentation because of the consistent predictable cash flow. It was crucial in the IPO's launch.

Anybody that says consistent and predictable cash flow is not a big part when it comes to valuation has no business speaking on the subject. Ever.
Lol….

For the cash flow to be consistent and predictable it would need to be……..consistent and predictable over time. Investors would need to believe that the NEXT contract will be greater than the current contract. If they didn’t believe that, it would negatively impact the value of the company. Anybody who doesn’t understand that has no business speaking on the subject.

On their earnings call they highlight the actual performance of the ufc on ESPN because that is a bigger driver of value than the remaining contract. Exactly because it speaks to the potential value of future deals.

I wholeheartedly agree.

And am very glad to see huge names talking about this issue candidly.

This is how unions get started. One of the sport's GOAT's leading the conversation is very good for the fighters.

They did what they could given the circumstances. It’s not like they wanted fighters to be unavailable.
It was to collect the ESPN fees and keep investors happy so Endeavor go cash in for an IPO. They could have stepped up card quality by expending the money to quarantine fighters for larger periods of time. They chose not to out of cheapness and because they realized they could turn out shit cards for a pretty length period of time.

It was to collect the ESPN fees and keep investors happy so Endeavor go cash in for an IPO. They could have stepped up card quality by expending the money to quarantine fighters for larger periods of time. They chose not to out of cheapness and because they realized they could turn out shit cards for a pretty length period of time.

post some links that support your position with any factual information.

Back