Prime Wanderlei was MW GOAT after Anderson

He was GOAT in many ways.

God I didn't even watch mma during Wanderleis prime years but I imagine it was amazing.

Still praying for knees to the head and soccer kicks. Maybe one day.... Stomps won't ever happen though, and maybe if they did only to the body.
I started watching MMA seriously around UFC 40: Vendetta (Shamrock/Ortiz). My buddy watched Pride and showed me YouTube highlights of Fedor which led me to a Wanderlei highlight reel. Hooked ever since. I'd like to say we'll see a reckless savage that will rival Wanderlei's ferocity but I'm not so sure. most entertaining fighter ever.

I think Wanderlei. He had the tendency to throw guys to the ground if it got tough and look for some knees or soccer kicks. Igor never tried for those moves often well except knees to the head.
Also, do you think wandy could throw Igor like that? Dude was a little tank. Only guy that really ragdolled him was rampage and I don't think silva had that kind of strength.

The newer fans did not get to see it but during his absolute prime he was the most ferocious fighter out there. I hated him since I was rooting for BTT in their feud with chuteboxe but there is no denying he was for a significant length of time the best lhw on the planet. Ridiculous killer instinct, great recovery when hit, and would use anything from killer knees, stomps to soccer kicks to put opponents away.
I put Prime Wanderlei against any LHW ever and I like his odds.

You think he would have stood toe to toe with Igor?

A little then he would shoot for takedowns and clinch and try and trip and throw Igor down and look to catch Igor with soccer kicks.

Igor would be stalking Wanderlei down looking for those power knock out blows.

The newer fans did not get to see it but during his absolute prime he was the most ferocious fighter out there. I hated him since I was rooting for BTT in their feud with chuteboxe but there is no denying he was for a significant length of time the best lhw on the planet. Ridiculous killer instinct, great recovery when hit, and would use anything from killer knees, stomps to soccer kicks to put opponents away.

Yeah looking at his knockouts to so many of then are vicious. He has like 5 wins via soccer kicks and or stomps and like 6 via knees to the head/face. Stand or I think a few grounded.

Savage but awesome. Would kill for soccer kicks back. I like Bisping but if soccer kicks were allowed Bisping would of been finished in the Wanderlei fight after he got dropped. I remember Wandy almost kicking him then stopping.

wanderlei-silva-vs-crocop-o.gif

A true savage, he destroyed my man Sakuraba. Almost cried, it was the worst of days as a fan.

Hespect though, much hespect

He was GOAT in many ways.

God I didn't even watch mma during Wanderleis prime years but I imagine it was amazing.

Still praying for knees to the head and soccer kicks. Maybe one day.... Stomps won't ever happen though, and maybe if they did only to the body.
The ring + kicks & knees , so much better , it removes so much stalling and lame positions that are fake in fighting .

None of the current MW would beat a prime Wanderlei, Jacare has the closest chance. Not only was Wandy a beast he knocked out legitimate HW, fought and dominated in multiple organizations only Rockhold can say that. So what he threw wild punches it was only to get in close enough to clinch. Plus he's the only guy I've ever seen headbutt a man with a laceration on his forehead. We miss you Wanderlei please transfer souls.

Wanderlei's Middleweight record is 2-2 all time...

Possibly he weighed that high in some fights, especially in catch weight fights.

But he fought and was champ at the 205lb weight.

Pride MW was basically UFC LHW.

So wanderlei weighed in at 205lb limit. However, surely he cut weight right?

Because I doubt he weighed 205lbs on fight night. Post Pride, UFC Wanderlei still had to cut weight to make 205 lbs and he had way less muscle mass. So I have a hard time believing prime Wanderlei was only 205lbs on fight night.

The ring + kicks & knees , so much better , it removes so much stalling and lame positions that are fake in fighting .

I don't like the ring or the restarts in the center. I also, don't like the no-elbows.

I think One fc has the best rules. Allows knees to head, soccer kicks, stomps to body, elbows, upkicks, etc.

We may eventually get full knees to the head. The athletic commissions just voted overwhelmingly to allow knees to head of fighters if they aren't fully grounded. The one hand rule no longer exempts them from being kneed. Kideny kicks from guard and grabbing the clavicle are now also allowed.

I also recall reading in February that the athletic commission was pushing for allowing 12-6 elbows.

I think eventually full knees to head and upkicks and 12-6 elbows will happen. Probably won't ever see stomps even to the body. And soccer kicks seem unlikely bUT at least they are allowed to the body.

Pride MW was basically UFC LHW.

So wanderlei weighed in at 205lb limit. However, surely he cut weight right?

Because I doubt he weighed 205lbs on fight night. Post Pride, UFC Wanderlei still had to cut weight to make 205 lbs and he had way less muscle mass. So I have a hard time believing prime Wanderlei was only 205lbs on fight night.

Sure, he cut weight. Most fighters do.

That said, Pride MW (205lb) is not the equivalence of UFC MW (185lb),

therefore it's a false premise to compare prime Wandelei (whether 225 or 205) to UFC MW division, which is 185.

Sure, he cut weight. Most fighters do.

That said, Pride MW (205lb) is not the equivalence of UFC MW (185lb),

therefore it's a false premise to compare prime Wandelei (whether 225 or 205) to UFC MW division, which is 185.

I know that. I was replying to you saying Wanderlei weighed 205lbs in Pride. I an saying that is not possible at all.

Hence I said he cut water weight to make the 205lb limit and then rehydrated and gained back 15 or 20lbs of weight.

And then I elaborated saying that there is no way a super jacked Wanderlei in Pride weighted only 205 lbs on fight night, and yet Wanderlei with way less muscle mass in the UFC when he was at LHW was weighing 215lbs or 220lbs in the cage on fight night.

I know that. I was replying to you saying Wanderlei weighed 205lbs in Pride. I an saying that is not possible at all.

Hence I said he cut water weight to make the 205lb limit and then rehydrated and gained back 15 or 20lbs of weight.

And then I elaborated saying that there is no way a super jacked Wanderlei in Pride weighted only 205 lbs on fight night, and yet Wanderlei with way less muscle mass in the UFC when he was at LHW was weighing 215lbs or 220lbs in the cage on fight night.

Well, he fought at 205lb... that's the point...and hence the thread's premise is wrong.

whether he fought every time at 205lb, or make the exact 205lb weight every time... is pretty much whatever...

One day TS will come to find out that Pride MW division was equal to the UFC's LHW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back