Prime Fedor's style is the key to beating Jones

The notion that fighting inside is the key to beating Jones has been throughly debunked in his last 3 or so fights.

def not as easy as it looks! dc got in many uppercuts but it wasnt enough

Fedor is a crutch around here. If there's anyone you don't like--Jones, Cain, Lesnar right after he beat Mir, etc.--just pull the "prime" Fedor card.

Fedor is the pedestal and the standard of what an MMA fighter is. It's like basketball fans comparing every NBA player to prime Jordan even when Jordan has been retired for years now. The same thing will happen with Jones when he retires too. MMA fans will start comparing fighters with Jones and you will start seeing threads like, "How would this fighter do vs a prime Jones". Jones will be that pedestal and standard when it's all said and done, if he keeps on winning. Fans just like to fantasize about dream matches that will never happen and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm still waiting on Cormiers team to expose that Cormier was actually injured and fought anyways. It was either that or Cormier simply didn't believe in himself because the explosiveness that got him the nickname black Fedor simply wasn't there.

It was there alright but Jones explosiveness over shadowed that. Jones is legit. Cormier just isnt big enough for Jones

Jones literally beats Fedor however he wants.

All you PRIDE fanboys need to get over your delusional nostalgia.

Jones would probably arm bar Fedor just to make a point.

I think Fedor would have been one of the few guys in history I would say has a good chance of beating Jones. People want to think that Cormier = Fedor but I'm sorry it's not close. Fedor was a better fighter than Daniel everywhere.

That said it's very hard to believe anyone can really beat Jones right now. I think Cain is the only guy in the world I'd actually pick to beat him. No one else can deal with his reach and leverage in the clinch.

This post speaks volumes of truth.

Fedor was better than Cormier, but even that given... I dunno

I'd also pick Cain, but I think the odds would be very even.

Fedor had the fight changing,Flying knee Alpha cancelling chernobyl soaked overhand right. Thats one thing no one else who fought him has had. Even IF the fight went exactly the same as DC for all 5 rds,when jones put his hands up in the air at the end before the bell,fedor woulda mollywhopped him into 2017 for pulling some shit like that.

No its not.

Only way jones can lose now, is if he faces someone with legit KO power. I don't see anyone being more well rounded than jones. So doubt gus will beat him. And jones loves to beat people at their own games, thats why I can see someone like rumble having a slim chance at beating him.

Thats pretty much jones only weakness, his belief and drive to beat people at their strengths and maybe some sloppy exchanges where he leaves his chin exposed.

Jones literally beats Fedor however he wants.

All you PRIDE fanboys need to get over your delusional nostalgia.

Jones would probably arm bar Fedor just to make a point.

Or maybe Fedor would take one of those really long arms of Jon's and armbar it? Jones was already caught in an armbar against Belfort and Fedor's ground game >>> Belfort's. Aside from him being dumb and jumping carelessly into Werdum's guard in SF, he's amazing on the ground. World Sambo champions tend to be pretty good there.

Fedor is a crutch around here. If there's anyone you don't like--Jones, Cain, Lesnar right after he beat Mir, etc.--just pull the "prime" Fedor card.

This is true. Even prime Fedor got taken down by many guys like Randlman, Coleman, even Hunt got on top of him. His amazing tdd is kind of a myth. Not hating at all I think Fedor is actually still ahead of Jones in the goat talks. But his best wins were the master striker Cro Cop and jiu jitsu lord Nogueira who likes to work of his back. Resume lacks excellent wrestler like sherdoggers like to say.

No its not.

Only way jones can lose now, is if he faces someone with legit KO power.

daniel cormier has legit ko power. face it,jones can take a punch

This is true. Even prime Fedor got taken down by many guys like Randlman, Coleman, even Hunt got on top of him. His amazing tdd is kind of a myth. Not hating at all I think Fedor is actually still ahead of Jones in the goat talks. But his best wins were the master striker Cro Cop and jiu jitsu lord Nogueira who likes to work of his back. Resume lacks excellent wrestler like sherdoggers like to say.

Uh, Fedor has crushed tons of good-great wrestlers. Lindland's Olympic silver medal in Greco is nothing then? Cormier, though based in Freestyle and not Greco, didn't even medal at all. Jon just beat an Olympian, which is a big deal, but it's not like Fedor hasn't beaten Olympians too. He beat Olympic medalist wrestlers and judokas.

Or maybe Fedor would take one of those really long arms of Jon's and armbar it? Jones was already caught in an armbar against Belfort and Fedor's ground game >>> Belfort's. Aside from him being dumb and jumping carelessly into Werdum's guard in SF, he's amazing on the ground. World Sambo champions tend to be pretty good there.

not that fedor wasn't great on the ground, but what other evidence is there that world combat sambo champs are great on the ground compared to say bjj world champs? or adcc champs? aleks was a world champ too.

^ are you the really kflo?
there is no style to beat jones. We've seen him out-wrestle an olympian (cormier), submit two bjj black belts (machida and vitor), stand toe to toe with two power punchers (glover and rashad) and submit a guy that doesn't get submitted (rampage).

The only way you are going to beat jones is to be young, fast, tall, rangey and well rounded. Gus is the only guy to give jones a run for his money and that's because he's the closest to jon in all of the areas that count. Styles aren't going to beat him, you just have to be his equal.

qft

Fedor had the fight changing,Flying knee Alpha cancelling chernobyl soaked overhand right. Thats one thing no one else who fought him has had. Even IF the fight went exactly the same as DC for all 5 rds,when jones put his hands up in the air at the end before the bell,fedor woulda mollywhopped him into 2017 for pulling some shit like that.

Cormier does obviously have power but you look at his career and he really depends on getting in close and exchanging a lot to make that power tell. Jones whole game is basically geared to stop opponents from doing that which ment Cormier had to work very hard and still didn't really get in his ideal position(although he did arguably threaten Jones standing more in the 2nd than anyone has standing).

I think Fedor's key advantage would be that he has the foot/hand speed and the movement/defence to not have to turn the fight into a brawl. I feel he could potentially be poping Jones with big jabs the way he did Nog in the 3rd fight and have a finishing threat from his lead hook and overhand even if his starting position is more at the kind of mid/long range Jones typically likes to fight at.

Where I think this debate becomes a bit less hypothetical is that you could argue Cain does bring some of the same tools as Fedor. Perhaps he's not as technical standing with not as cast iron a chin(I think a Jones finish is actually more likely than vs Cormier) BUT he does have the same explosive speed as Fedor and the same murderous overhand. Unlike Cormier who needed to exchange I can see him potentially popping Jones with that punch as a one off and ending the fight or knocking the fight out of him.

If we're talking Fedor in his prime versus Jones in his (i.e., now):

In a ring, with Pride rules, Fedor takes it easily. In a cage, under Unified Rules, Jones takes maybe twenty to thirty percent. Fedor is a much more well-rounded martial artist. He hits harder, and faster, has better grappling and a superior transition game. People forget what Fedor fought like ten years ago, and remember him only for being the crafty heavy hitter that he was in his last couple of fights.

Uh, Fedor has crushed tons of good-great wrestlers. Lindland's Olympic silver medal in Greco is nothing then? Cormier, though based in Freestyle and not Greco, didn't even medal at all. Jon just beat an Olympian, which is a big deal, but it's not like Fedor hasn't beaten Olympians too. He beat Olympic medalist wrestlers and judokas.

he beat a 167 lb greco silver medalist and a 36 year old judoka who wasn't much of an mma fighter.

you really don't want to argue lindland was a stiffer test than cormier.

A style that brings constant pressure, never allowing Jones to establish range, is the key to beating him. Along with a great clinch/Greco game. Traditional wrestling won't work against Jones as he is too long and can snatch up a guillotine at any time.

A fight between Prime Fedor and Jon Jones would resemble Fedor/Sylvia. A blitzkrieg with a lightning - fast win for Emelianenko.

Prime Fedor barely even bothered to defend TD's. I can't imagine a more horrible approach for fighting Bones. Especially with UFC rules (legal elbows.)

Jones by horrific mutilation.

Back