Pretty sure Porter is gonna be a rough fight for Spence

Similar situation for the weight class differences. I do think Loma got more credit for the manner in which he beat Rigo than Spence has gotten for the manner in which he beat Mikey though. Mostly because Nomashenko made him quit. But it was a masterful dissection.

I just have a hard time buying that a guy doesnt get his due praise when he destroys an opponent in a manner which no one thought he could. If Spence had walked him down and tore him apart on the ropes I dont think anyone would be surprised by that. But when you put on a boxing lesson against someone that everyone predicted you couldnt outbox, that deserves its credit.
That's issue though. Spence completely outboxed Garica. Garcia looked like he didn't belong in the ring with Spence but somehow survived to see all 12 bells. Spence should have and could have finished him. In the end the moral victory went to Garcia who can claim that he 'survived' 12 rounds with Spence who couldn't stop him.

That's issue though. Spence completely outboxed Garica. Garcia looked like he didn't belong in the ring with Spence but somehow survived to see all 12 bells. Spence should have and could have finished him. In the end the moral victory went to Garcia who can claim that he 'survived' 12 rounds with Spence who couldn't stop him.
If I said beforehand that Spence would take Mikey to school with a boxing lesson everyone would have told me I was crazy and that he didnt have enough boxing ability to that to someone as savvy as Mikey.

Now that hes done it his critics want to cry that he didnt finish him. If he had bullied Mikey into a corner and battered him, the same people would cry that he just bullied around a smaller fighter.

Theres no pleasing people who only see what they want to see.

If I said beforehand that Spence would take Mikey to school with a boxing lesson everyone would have told me I was crazy and that he didnt have enough boxing ability to that to someone as savvy as Mikey.

Now that hes done it his critics want to cry that he didnt finish him. If he had bullied Mikey into a corner and battered him, the same people would cry that he just bullied around a smaller fighter.

It wasn't that he didn't have the ability, he just hadn't really given that look in the ring before. If you watch his fight with Brook, you can kind of forgive people for thinking he was a bit of a mess.

Well I never called you crazy. But I just didn't think a boxer as well known for his heavy hands couldn't finish a guy 2 weight classes smaller.

I think it may be time to recognize me as the scholar of the boxing forum

if you want to know anything about boxing you can come to me

Clearly tougher than I expected. Clear win for Spence, but Porter held his own quite a bit better on the inside than I expected (some of the most enjoyable in-fighting sequences that we've seen on the inside in a long time in an elite fight). Spence showed real issues with his footwork, as he was caught a fair bit at mid-range, and was a little baffled when Porter would showcase some of his rather unorthodox "blitzes".

It's a fight that should damper some of the more bold pronunciations about Spence being a WW destroyer (and I'm re-evaluating some of my ideas about him as a WW, but especially as a JWW), but I don't think it really undermines the idea that he's the best WW out there.

Aside from evaluation of performances, it was a legitimately cool fight to watch. Certain rounds wouldn't have looked out of place in the 50s, and that's a good thing.

he basically beat mikey with power and reach. lets not get to excited about his boxing ability.

Clearly tougher than I expected. Clear win for Spence, but Porter held his own quite a bit better on the inside than I expected (some of the most enjoyable in-fighting sequences that we've seen on the inside in a long time in an elite fight). Spence showed real issues with his footwork, as he was caught a fair bit at mid-range, and was a little baffled when Porter would showcase some of his rather unorthodox "blitzes".

It's a fight that should damper some of the more bold pronunciations about Spence being a WW destroyer (and I'm re-evaluating some of my ideas about him as a WW, but especially as a JWW), but I don't think it really undermines the idea that he's the best WW out there.

Aside from evaluation of performances, it was a legitimately cool fight to watch. Certain rounds wouldn't have looked out of place in the 50s, and that's a good thing.
I said before the fight he is not the boogeyman of the division.

and i think that got proven tonight. He loves being the bully in there but he is there to be hit. And there were more then a few times where his head was snapping back from Porter shots. Hell there were moments where Porter was boxing like Pryor against Arguello and Spence looked confused.

I said he wasn't going to run thru him and he didn't. Not because he sucks. But he is not some destroyer. He is not a massive knockout puncher. His feet can still be off. He is there to be hit.

He will beat Danny Garcia easy though because Danny hasn't looked good against top competition in years

Last edited:
I said before the fight he is not the boogeyman of the division.

and i think that got proven tonight. He loves being the bully in there but he is there to be hit. And there were more then a few times where his head was snapping pack from Porter shots. Hell there were moments where Porter was boxing like Pryor against Arguello and Spence looked confused.

I said he wasn't going to run thru him and he didn't. Not because he sucks. But he is not some destroyer. He is not a massive knockout puncher. His feet can still be off. He is there to be hit.

He will beat Danny Garcia easy though because Danny hasn't looked good against top competition in years

No, I agree, I mean think you claimed he'd trouble Spence a fair bit more than he did, but he caused significant issues to Spence. I think there was evidence there that wasn't a special puncher against guys like Peterson. A guy who had his way with Peterson to that degree without really hurting him likely isn't a special puncher. He's still perhaps the best puncher in a division devoid of special punchers, though.

The real things to worry about were the defense and the footwork. He didn't have much issue finding Porter (Porter is obviously no Pep, and even when he gets on his bike, he doesn't try to be), but he didn't have a great handle on the distance, and he became somewhat predictable. I don't love it when people write clear issues off just because an opponent was "awkward" or "unorthodox", so I don't think just dismissing them as being Porter-exclusive issues is particularly persuasive.

His in-fighting was still very, very good, probably the best in the sport. Porter can actually handle himself there, and Spence still whooped him there. Very few fighters are capable of doing what Porter did on the inside (for example, Crawford won't be able to; he'll try and tie up, likely fail due to Spence working out of the clinch, and then just continually try and hold; the ref who does the fight will really matter). That's something to keep in mind, even with some of Spence's other flaws becoming apparent.

The real things to worry about were the defense and the footwork. He didn't have much issue finding Porter (Porter is obviously no Pep, and even when he gets on his bike, he doesn't try to be), but he didn't have a great handle on the distance, and he became somewhat predictable.

So much this.

& respect to the OP! Great call.

am i like the only one who believes this?

Why do you all act like Spence is a WW boogeyman? He was getting tagged clean by Brook for a good portion of rounds 1-6 in their fight. And brook was having his moments even when his eye was fucked. Yes Spence got thru it and won good for him. Made him a better fighter. But he wasn’t exactly dominating for a good portion of that fight

Since then he has beaten up a lamont peterson (good win) a FW and Ocampo.

Porter fucked up Berto, beat Danny Garcia and had a good fight with Thurman (pre injury). Ugas was a rough fight but Ugas fights nothing like Spence who will be there in the pocket all night

In addition Porter’s style is a weird one for Spence. Headbutts, roughhouse tactics, granite chin, big punches for all 12. And you guys think Spence just walks thru him?

I don’t think so.

Good call dude. Gonna get people knocking spence now because he didn’t walk through him, which will be fckin laughable as porter gives everyone a fight

He does need to unify or move up imo. He’s not fulfilling his talent imo with the fights he’s taking at WW

All the credit to Porter. I really, really didnt think hed make it 12. I hate that guys style but damn he shows up to fight.

Good call dude. Gonna get people knocking spence now because he didn’t walk through him, which will be fckin laughable as porter gives everyone a fight

He does need to unify or move up imo. He’s not fulfilling his talent imo with the fights he’s taking at WW
So unifying titles and fighting a top 4 fighter in the division isn’t fulfilling talents? Because that’s what he just did. If anything, tell Bud to move up. He’s the one with no one to fight while Spence has everyone else in the top 7 to fight

All the credit to Porter. I really, really didnt think hed make it 12. I hate that guys style but damn he shows up to fight.

His body is pliable, it was tight enough to last such powerful penetration from Mr. Spence. I know you enjoyed their musk Mr. PUO..... A man of good taste.

Back