Practicality of a gogoplata?

Well, you gotta think about how a gogoplata is done.

You would have to be rediculously flexible and much more skilled than your opponent to slide the shin in without it bouncing off the face. People that skilled usually don't have to force a gogo because there are like half a dozen options that are more accessible. I've never met someone with a bread and butter gogo. If a guy that's better than me starts attempting one, it's because he's bored rolling with me.

That's usually not the case though. The people who attempt gogo's usually aren't slipping it in because it's there or because they are bored. They are forcing it into your face because they want to know they can tap someone with a gogo. It's a move that takes the shin (the part of the leg that you head kick people with) and pretty much creates a mandible crank, that's essentially destined for failure. All it's gonna do is annoy the other guy.

It would be the same as a guy having your back and punching you in the teeth with his wrist inorder to get an RNC. Only difference being a RNC is dones because it's the best option. A gogo is usually done for bragging rights.

Yeah, I still hate'em. Honestly, I think it's just because I like my teeth.

I'll say that whenever I go for a gogo they're defending by ethier

a) pushing shin away (at the foot) with the hand
or
b) tucking their head before the shin gets underneath

with a) I can still finish the gogo, if I react properly. still by no means easy.

with b) I can't get in any position to submit and trying to finish is a stupid waste of energy. omaplata far outweighs kicking someone with the shin to the neck.

of course there are more ways to defend but these two situations are the most common from when I try them.

gogo's are legit, they are just low percentage in terms of finishing. they are high percentage in terms of setting up a follow up attack.

most people just don't ever get in a proper position to even threaten it.

Last edited:
This might come off as sounding whiny, as I'm still a white belt, but it really annoys me when a n00b is trying a Gogoplata after about 1 week of experience. It's like there is this whole YouTube army that researches moves online before coming into class, based on how flashy the move is.

Purple belts attempting a Gogoplata from a rubber guard is entirely different then a white belt who doesn't even know how to pass properly.

I had a guy in an ammy MMA match once. Kinda shocked me that he tried it.

I have never had a guy try one during a bjj tourney yet....infact, i dont remember seeing one in a bjj tourney yet.

Everytime I think of gogoplatas I think of the one time a guy (about my skill level) tried to put me in one.

He clamped down, the shin got rammed into my mouth and we stalemated. His feet stank, and I could not only see the hairs on his toes, but I could also see sock lint stuck to them. I was essentially stuck in that position where I was in no danger of being tapped, yet 3 of my 5 senses were being violated.

Fuck gogoplatas.

Hahaha, nicely put.

I like gogoplatas. I train them a lot. For the people complaining about toes, and toe hair, and smells... Wtf? Pay attention to your training and stop being so distracted by trivial things.

A white belt in our class tried getting me in a gogo one day. He was a wrestler, and he's really flexible. He pulled his foot to his own chin so as not to rake my face, but part way through his hand slipped and his shin popped me in the mouth. It was an accident, but it sucked none the less. On another note, that guy tried the gogo on another guy a month later, and when the guy stacked him his knee popped. No more rubber guide for that guy.

The only time I use it and it's actually effective is if I'm on my back and they have double underhooks....then grab their sleeves, shoulder walk back, and bring one leg on top under the chin...if they defend, you can release it and you're ready for triangle, etc

as far as i'm concerned if it can be done in comp or MMA it is a legitimate move. flashy yes, difficult yes, unlikely yes, possible definitely!!

I've tried to throw the gogo a few times, but not once did I really think I was going to sink it.

tbh, though, I've never really practiced it, outside of seeing an opportunity during a free roll.

I have no qualms about trying it, again - have never kicked anyone in the face

What about from s mount?

Oh yeah. I get it from S-mount sometimes. Completely forgot about it. I think it's a lot easier from there because you don't have to worry about your opponent posturing and it slides in much easier because your opponents proper defense when mounted is keeping the back of his head to the floor hence his neck is a lot more open.

Usually when I go for the gogo from there the opponent just pops his head up and the triangle is right there. Either way you don't have to worry near as much about flexibility when you try it on top.

A white belt in our class tried getting me in a gogo one day. He was a wrestler, and he's really flexible. He pulled his foot to his own chin so as not to rake my face, but part way through his hand slipped and his shin popped me in the mouth. It was an accident, but it sucked none the less. On another note, that guy tried the gogo on another guy a month later, and when the guy stacked him his knee popped. No more rubber guide for that guy.

I think trying gogos puts you in a vulnerable position. It's not worth it imo.

I realize I'm bumping a five year old thread but I was going to start a thread on Gogoplatas and Caliburs responses ITT are too good to pass up.

The gogo is hands down one of my favorite attacks for my favorite sub chain and a lot of people talk about not being able to finish, IMO the locoplata makes it considerably higher percentage.

eddie2.jpg

If controlling the back of the head and driving into your shin with your heel you also have a great opportunity to use it as a sweep for the mounted gogoplata when your opponent pulls away.

I feel like a lot of people attempt the gogoplata with too much space open. I prefer the gogoplata when I have my opponent completely broken down, curling them into me, before allowing just enough space (either by pushing my hips up to create the space I need and pulling the shin across quickly, or following the chain Eddie uses.) before curling them back on top of me. When you fold yourself over your opponent while pulling on the back of the head, it makes the choke much much tighter.

The locoplata on the other hand offers you a way to finish the choke from more of a distance. You can also hit the choke (or use it as a sweep) from far more angles.

Most of what I've learned about gogoplatas are from experimentation or studying MTRG. There are far far better grapplers than me (see Calibur) and if anyone can really break down the choke better than I did (sorry for the shitty write up) or offer different angles, attacks, and counters that actually work I would LOVE to hear them. I fucking love the gogo.

And for those that actually read my post I'll share a couple gifs.

2mch8k7_medium.gif

gomidiaz13_medium_medium.gif

34pz2qh_jpg_medium.gif

2_Rory_McDonell__5-6__vs._Desmond_Green__4-0_.gif

(This last one is a great transition, the shin across the throat while cranking the armbar adds not only pressure but secures the position very well.)

I'm blinking and trying to make sense of the last transition you posted Jim, it looks wicked.

You won't get 99% of your sparring partners in a gogoplata unless there is an extreme gap between you in skill level. Triangle, Armbar, Olmoplata.... nuff said.

not true. the "forced" gogoplata, where you pull the opponent's chin and head toward you is a much higher percentage move. but nobody decent is going to just let you throw up a triangle, armbar, or omoplata without setting it up and having counters ready for expected defenses, and the gogo is no different.

I don't trust my flexibility enough to go for gogos from bottom. But you guys should look into the "logeoplata." It's a gogo with a gable grip on one side of the neck, shin in the other side of the neck. Logan Cook (the guy who "named" the move) put someone to sleep with it recently. I like it because you're off at an angle and it puts less stress on your knee.

I don't trust my flexibility enough to go for gogos from bottom. But you guys should look into the "logeoplata." It's a gogo with a gable grip on one side of the neck, shin in the other side of the neck. Logan Cook (the guy who "named" the move) put someone to sleep with it recently. I like it because you're off at an angle and it puts less stress on your knee.

Back