Practicality of a gogoplata?

[YT]kYN_HNVuNB0[/YT]
Good video from the master.
I don't trust my flexibility enough to go for gogos from bottom. But you guys should look into the "logeoplata." It's a gogo with a gable grip on one side of the neck, shin in the other side of the neck. Logan Cook (the guy who "named" the move) put someone to sleep with it recently. I like it because you're off at an angle and it puts less stress on your knee.

Hmm. I'll drill the fuck out of this. Found him breaking it down even more.

I do think I'll find myself using this more (I'm short)
[YT]y80Y9240BMk[/YT]

I also need to start drilling the fuck out of the sorcerer.

Great video. Dean Lister is my hero, one of the nicest guys.

The gogoplata from monoplata mount is the goods. It requires way less flexibility than you would think. I find mounted triangles strain my knees more.

The gogoplata from monoplata mount is the goods. It requires way less flexibility than you would think. I find mounted triangles strain my knees more.

I think I'm going to start utilizing the monoplata mount. It seems like a good fit for me.

Have you considered making a gogoplata series? I have billions of questions about the gogo. It's hard to find the detailed instruction about the submission that you do with others, and your threads are always mind blowingly informative.

Can you answer, what is it that makes the gogoplata a "low percentage" technique? It's a choke, and one that you can position yourself for relatively easy. When an opponent isn't feeling the pressure on the trachea the locoplata the foot on the back of the ankle generates more than enough but again I must ask. What's the easiest way to maintain control when attempting the gogo and its variants? Why exactly aren't people getting a lot of taps with it?

One problem I noticed I have, is that I've not done a great in the past of controlling the isolated arm. Thus, the opponent is able to slip out and it becomes a matter of transferring to the omaplata in time or getting passed. The leg on the throat comes down and the arm comes up.

I think I'm going to start utilizing the monoplata mount. It seems like a good fit for me.

Have you considered making a gogoplata series? I have billions of questions about the gogo. It's hard to find the detailed instruction about the submission that you do with others, and your threads are always mind blowingly informative.

Can you answer, what is it that makes the gogoplata a "low percentage" technique? It's a choke, and one that you can position yourself for relatively easy. When an opponent isn't feeling the pressure on the trachea the locoplata the foot on the back of the ankle generates more than enough but again I must ask. What's the easiest way to maintain control when attempting the gogo and its variants? Why exactly aren't people getting a lot of taps with it?

One problem I noticed I have, is that I've not done a great in the past of controlling the isolated arm. Thus, the opponent is able to slip out and it becomes a matter of transferring to the omaplata in time or getting passed. The leg on the throat comes down and the arm comes up.

I wish I could help but I suck at gogoplata's. I have only ever hit one on a brand new white belt. I do like to threaten it from the monoplata though to draw out arms etc.

I think in terms of being low percentage, it's like a less versatile and controllable omoplata, which if you mess up will often leave you in bad position. Where as the omoplata can be used for sweeps and back takes etc.

Look up magnuss's "monkey mount" instructional on youtube, it's around 40 minutes and has a lot of good gogo stuff. Brandon Macgheren (spelling?) has some great monoplata videos that cover it well. I know Eddie Bravo has a position called gogo clinch, but I haven't looked into it and I don't actually know what it is. Nino Schembri has a good omoplata instructional that is half gogoplata material that you might like.

I wish I could help but I suck at gogoplata's. I have only ever hit one on a brand new white belt. I do like to threaten it from the monoplata though to draw out arms etc.

I think in terms of being low percentage, it's like a less versatile and controllable omoplata, which if you mess up will often leave you in bad position. Where as the omoplata can be used for sweeps and back takes etc.

Look up magnuss's "monkey mount" instructional on youtube, it's around 40 minutes and has a lot of good gogo stuff. Brandon Macgheren (spelling?) has some great monoplata videos that cover it well. I know Eddie Bravo has a position called gogo clinch, but I haven't looked into it and I don't actually know what it is. Nino Schembri has a good omoplata instructional that is half gogoplata material that you might like.

Well if I may ask, with a grappler of your talent.. why is it that you suck at gogoplatas? What do you find is keeping you from finishing them? I'm starting to concentrate on them as a finish instead of the beginning of a chain. Perhaps I've missed out on finishes because I took the omaplata route too quickly, and perhaps I lost the omaplata because I had the belly down armbar in my mind. (My main chain)

I'm going to work a gogo-triangle-armbar chain into my game now. I got the idea because I plan on using a foot into the elbow of the hand holding my foot as a grip break.

Well if I may ask, with a grappler of your talent.. why is it that you suck at gogoplatas? What do you find is keeping you from finishing them? I'm starting to concentrate on them as a finish instead of the beginning of a chain. Perhaps I've missed out on finishes because I took the omaplata route too quickly, and perhaps I lost the omaplata because I had the belly down armbar in my mind. (My main chain)

I'm going to work a gogo-triangle-armbar chain into my game now. I got the idea because I plan on using a foot into the elbow of the hand holding my foot as a grip break.

First off I'm definitely not a talented grappler! I'm just a BJJ nerd who watches way to much videos and has too much free time lol. I guess I've never really put too much time into learning or drilling them, so during rolling I never instinctively go for them. I think thats the biggest problem with the gogoplata, in that you have to really want to learn it. By that I mean I suck at omoplatas too, but I can see the value in getting way better at them. Also I feel like my flexibility only really allows me to make the gogoplata a viable option from mount. My submission game is pretty much darce chokes and Triangles, I feel like I can get those nearly anywhere, so I'm more committed to refining those and learning to make them positions in themselves. Which I think is the key to making any submission high percentage.

First off I'm definitely not a talented grappler! I'm just a BJJ nerd who watches way to much videos and has too much free time lol. I guess I've never really put too much time into learning or drilling them, so during rolling I never instinctively go for them. I think thats the biggest problem with the gogoplata, in that you have to really want to learn it. By that I mean I suck at omoplatas too, but I can see the value in getting way better at them. Also I feel like my flexibility only really allows me to make the gogoplata a viable option from mount. My submission game is pretty much darce chokes and Triangles, I feel like I can get those nearly anywhere, so I'm more committed to refining those and learning to make them positions in themselves. Which I think is the key to making any submission high percentage.

Hmm. I'm beginning to think that it's a combination of

1) Never drilling it
2)Flexibility
3)Abandoning the attack

I've got the flexibility to pull it off without dragging my foot across someones face, and I'm always clean and clipped so I dont see any issue with it.

I've seen some people look pissed off getting caught in it but i think thats mostly down to suprise because of its rarity. It's like getting wrist-locked or subbed from an inferior position, you kinda feel a bit cheated.

I've got the flexibility to pull it off without dragging my foot across someones face, and I'm always clean and clipped so I dont see any issue with it.

I've seen some people look pissed off getting caught in it but i think thats mostly down to suprise because of its rarity. It's like getting wrist-locked or subbed from an inferior position, you kinda feel a bit cheated.

I've caused some damage to some throats because people were very adamant about not wanting to be tapped by a gogoplata. I've heard "You really have to fuck up to be tapped by that" several times.

I don't think I've ever been gogo'd, maybe once by my first instructor but he tapped me nonstop so it's hard to remember :icon_lol:. but I would actually be stoked and really impressed. I don't generally get beaten by my own game.

It's like anything else in BJJ. It's a legit move if you take it when it is there and then transition appropriately when it isn't.

It's a hindrance if you try to force it every time, because it happened to work on that white belt once.

It's not at all related to the triangle choke, aside from being a choke. It works if you can do it. From my experience it's one of those things that you really have to ram in there, which is not pleasant for either, and often doesn't work. But if you can get it regularly, it's definitely a practical move. Not my thing though.

I agree with this. I don't think it's low percentage to the point where it's goofy or anything. If someone has the right body type and style of grappling, I think it could probably work pretty well for some people. Aoki has hit multiple gogos in pro MMA. I've only known one guy that ever went for them regularly, but he was pretty good with them.

And maybe this is because I'm too nice, but regarding the annoyance level of them, if anything I used to purposefully be worried to try them because I wouldn't want to annoy my training partners. At this point I don't even look for subs from the bottom unless the path is wide open and it's usually a triangle or guillotine. So I don't think I've been on the offensive or defensive end of a gogo in a long time. Watch me say that and get gogo'd tonight.

You have to set it up from the rubber guard... or if the opponent tries to posture up giving you space to insert your leg...you can transition to other positions from there.

Back