Practicality of a gogoplata?

EstouSBT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is there really any use for a gogoplata other than being a flashier triangle? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm a noob at grappling.

You won't get 99% of your sparring partners in a gogoplata unless there is an extreme gap between you in skill level. Triangle, Armbar, Olmoplata.... nuff said.

it can be setup from rubber guard in a way that makes it more of an attack that is used to get reactions to setup the omaplata or other moves

it's not a high percentage technique as it requires them to be square with you.

its a valid technique & i have seen comp matches won with it.... its not high percentage though

its not a flashier triangle at all, it blocks off your air as opposed to a triangle that blocks off the blood to your brain. i always go for them but so rarely get them. i think ive hit about 3 in 2 years which is ridiculous considering im always looking for them

I've only landed a couple but the times i've actually pulled one out I have kind of used it as a counter to my opponent attempting to stack me while in my guard.

its not a flashier triangle at all, it blocks off your air as opposed to a triangle that blocks off the blood to your brain. i always go for them but so rarely get them. i think ive hit about 3 in 2 years which is ridiculous considering im always looking for them

maybe you should try setting it up from rubber guard..and if it's not working just go for the omaplata

or maybe look for something you can actually get more than 3 times in 2 years lol.

It makes me feel squeamish about my knees, so I don't bother. I suppose I could block their hip with my other heel but given it's low percentage nature, I'll pass! Omaplata's way more useful.

I get super annoyed when people go for gogoplatas on me. Usually because the people who do initially ram their shin into my grill, and than make me smell their feet while we stalemate.

I'm usually in a bad mood after that, so I usually decide to "test their flexebility" while I'm initiating an escape. coincidentally I go straight to knee-on-belly when I pass from there.

To me gogoplatas attempts transform a friendly roll into something else.

really?

there are a few things I could think of that can piss me off when rolling... joint manipulation, cranking on a sub, not letting go after a tap, knee on face, etc....

but someone trying a gogo? nah.

really?

there are a few things I could think of that can piss me off when rolling... joint manipulation, cranking on a sub, not letting go after a tap, knee on face, etc....

if someone sucks ass at gogo's I can see that being annoying simply because theyd be basically trying to kick my neck with their shin

After training with Nino Schembri I got really good at hitting the gogoplata. I was even able to tap a few purples with it. Then I popped something in my knee while doing it about a month ago. I've decided that while its an awesome technique I'll probably quit using just cause of the possibility of injury

It's not at all related to the triangle choke, aside from being a choke. It works if you can do it. From my experience it's one of those things that you really have to ram in there, which is not pleasant for either, and often doesn't work. But if you can get it regularly, it's definitely a practical move. Not my thing though.

I get super annoyed when people go for gogoplatas on me. Usually because the people who do initially ram their shin into my grill, and than make me smell their feet while we stalemate.

I'm usually in a bad mood after that, so I usually decide to "test their flexebility" while I'm initiating an escape. coincidentally I go straight to knee-on-belly when I pass from there.

Yeah I've gotten a toe in the mouth, so I agree its annoying.:icon_twis

really?

Well, you gotta think about how a gogoplata is done.

You would have to be rediculously flexible and much more skilled than your opponent to slide the shin in without it bouncing off the face. People that skilled usually don't have to force a gogo because there are like half a dozen options that are more accessible. I've never met someone with a bread and butter gogo. If a guy that's better than me starts attempting one, it's because he's bored rolling with me.

That's usually not the case though. The people who attempt gogo's usually aren't slipping it in because it's there or because they are bored. They are forcing it into your face because they want to know they can tap someone with a gogo. It's a move that takes the shin (the part of the leg that you head kick people with) and pretty much creates a mandible crank, that's essentially destined for failure. All it's gonna do is annoy the other guy.

It would be the same as a guy having your back and punching you in the teeth with his wrist inorder to get an RNC. Only difference being a RNC is dones because it's the best option. A gogo is usually done for bragging rights.

Yeah, I still hate'em. Honestly, I think it's just because I like my teeth.

Like anything, there are low percentage plays and high percentage plays. In grappling, I guess it's more a question of circumstances and positionning than going all out for it. It isn't practical for shit, but don't tell you aren't impressed by it!

I will say that I have tried it a few times, usually out of frustration and being tired. Usually when I have someone heavier and stronger than me in my guard and they are just trying to flatten me instead of posturing and trying to pass.

Everytime I think of gogoplatas I think of the one time a guy (about my skill level) tried to put me in one.

He clamped down, the shin got rammed into my mouth and we stalemated. His feet stank, and I could not only see the hairs on his toes, but I could also see sock lint stuck to them. I was essentially stuck in that position where I was in no danger of being tapped, yet 3 of my 5 senses were being violated.

Fuck gogoplatas.

It would be the same as a guy having your back and punching you in the teeth with his wrist inorder to get an RNC. Only difference being a RNC is dones because it's the best option. A gogo is usually done for bragging rights.

Yeah, I still hate'em. Honestly, I think it's just because I like my teeth.

all good responses, so fair enough, lol...

Back