powerclean

ALI79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
guys,
i need help inproving my powerclean!
my 1rep max is 190 although i can bench 315, squat 405 and deadlift 405.
it's really annoying me!
any info regarding technique, training...wd be great!

My big 3 numbers are similar to yours. I powercleaned 265lbs fairly easily last night. I try to concetrate on speed, "popping/thrusting" my hips forward, and explosiveness. My brother-in-law (my lifting partner) has trouble with cleans in general due to pulling more than exploding.

Maybe Urban or some of the other vets could help with specific points. I'd be interested in any advice. I'd like to power clean 315 in a few months.

ALI79 said:
i meant tips from someone more experienced

obviously im not that inexperienced since i powerclean 2/3 of my deadlift. its almost surely a technique thing, but thats hard to tell you anything if you dont know proper technique in the first place. go look at some videos or post your own.

the hard part for me is holding the weight while im coming up. any tips?

Hmm there's a pandora's box of stuff here. Firstly technique will make a huge difference, like you wouldn't believe, secondly you can't push up oly numbers like deadlift in that training the same sort of percentages won't work as well (eg you can't be powercleaning 80-90% that often, even if it does feel very easy).

Lastly, most of what's said here is a bit useless without video, although it's a bit of a step, just post a video of your lifts (both in warmup and near max weights), that'll make the biggest difference (unless you can have someone with experience see it in real life). The only stuff you can really solve without that are specific problems like ALI79's, in your case perhaps watch your grip width (too wide is hard to rack), make sure the bar is far up enough on your shoulders (pressing on your neck), and practise with light weights.

definitely technique. You need to have someone look at you when you clean.

the best way to learn how to powerclean is to start with light weight and then progress up. u need to pull up drop ur hips catch the weight then use ur legs to drive up the bar. its all about technique. i hap a similar problem but with coaching i went from 225 to 335 in about 4 months. along with a 450 bench and a 515 squat at 217. i used to play college ball.....

do exercises that work your weak point in the lift.. like maybe upright rows, shoulder press, squat, deadlift, shrugs, pull ups

OpethDrums said:
do exercises that work your weak point in the lift.. like maybe upright rows, shoulder press, squat, deadlift, shrugs, pull ups
What part of the powerclean do you pullup in?

Generally unless you've done a lot of technique work you'll find that you're not limited by the strength of support muscles (which you're trying to help with upright rows). What you want to build is the whole process of the pull, not just the upright row (generally you really shouldn't be using your arms like that anyways, and will never clean a weight as slowly as an upright row).

About deadlifts and squats, check out peanut_butter's other thread. Shoulder presses are good but you must be very careful that you don't limit your flexibility and can still lockout properly (if you also do a push press of jerk after the clean).

OpethDrums said:

uhh... oly lifts are a little different than powerlifts.

ON Jesse Murande's sight, his video clip of squatting 405x20 shows him doing some heavy powercleans before his workout, Watching his form helped me some. I can powerclean 290 lbs and it went up some when I learned better technique. The better the technique the more weight, obviously. Anyway, do as Alon says, he knows what he is talking about and if you can, post a video clip as mentioned above.

I powercleaned 225 witha a 205 bench and 355 SQUAT,,,,all about technique

Back