• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Poverty in Britain - Why are millions of Brits so broke?

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Is that correct ? Any brit residents here ?
whats the status now

Britain has a historically low unemployment rate of 3.6%. Yet poverty levels are breaking all records. It’s a paradoxical situation: almost 15 million Britons are considered poor these days, although there’s almost full employment. The reason: inflation and high energy costs.

From what I have heard, Brits work, but do not all earn much. The broke ones earn a smaller wage and with increased costs of goods and services including child care, they cannot save and are often broke. Seems like simple Math, whenyou add in rent hikes.

The main issue seems to be the BoE trying to put up interest rates to fix things, which is causing people's mortgages to go up significantly and forcing people to make higher repayments on debt. It's also pushing rent prices up.

Meanwhile people who already have a paid off mortgage and money are given more money by increased interest rates.

I'm no economist but I don't really get it.

London is rich, the entire rest of the UK is about as economically viable as Mississippi from what I've read.

Yep pretty much , the South is rich with some areas of poverty , the North is poor with some affluent areas .
Fundamentally we're not a serious country at the moment , our current collective melt down has still got a way to go yet .

LOL You're talking about a country so unequal that the monarchy still exists in the 21st century and asking why there's still an underclass there?
Well that sounds like a valid point
But arent those monarchies actually without any impact on the society there , a relic from the past ,not financed by the tax money ?

Brexit. I always read how key auto industry has suffered.

Global economic conditions. Inflation on some things coming down but energy is stubbornly high.

That lady almost flushed the sterling down the loo with her ill-timed policies and it is just finally recovering now right?

Compounding problems.

Shit country, shit people, shit economy.

giphy.webp

Well that sounds like a valid point
But arent those monarchies actually without any impact on the society there , a relic from the past ,not financed by the tax money ?

Even though they've reduced the overall number of the royals who get benefits, they still own billions of dollars worth of public land, get income from taxpayers and don't have to pay inheritance tax.

Also, the Panama Papers showed that King Charles has basically been running his own offshore hedge fund for the past several decades where he leveraged his publicly provided wealth to win in the stock market and has paid zero taxes on any of the income.

Back