Social POTWR 2019 Vol 16: What Will You Bring To The War Room BBQ?

What are the most important foods for a successful BBQ, and what's your favorite style?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Greetings War Room Sherbros,

Welcome to the next installment of the Presidential sticky-threads. This time around imagine we all got together for a BBQ. What food or drink would you bring? At least one dish or beverage is required to attend. But don't just tell us. Share your recipe, and pictures if possible. In addition, would you bring anything non-food related?

I'll add my contribution in a post below.

If you decide to try out someone else's recipe then please report back how it went.

Cheers,

Cubo

PS. Due to unforeseen time constraints, the remaining threads will be up for one week instead of two.

***This is an ongoing series of sticky-threads that will take on various topics in varying ways. If you're interested in leading a discussion on something please take a look at this thread and then send me a PM with your ideas.

POTWR 2019 Vol 1: Shots Fired! Examining Police Shootings In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 2: Happy Happy Joy Joy
POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 4: Repeal Or Respect The 2nd Amendment?
POTWR 2019 Vol 5: Based On Known Facts, Would You Remove Trump From Office?
POTWR 2019 Vol 6: Internet Security Basics
POTWR 2019 Vol 7: Change My Mind That The Word "Platform" Is Orwellian
POTWR 2019 Vol 8: Should The Right To Keep And Bear Arms Be An International Human Right?
POTWR 2019 Vol 9: Is Social Media Access Damaging To Our Youth?

POTWR 2019 Vol 10: What Do You Like About The War Room And What Would You Change?
POTWR 2019 Vol 11: Can We All Test For Ourselves That The Earth Is Round?

POTWR 2019 Vol 12: What Role Should Schools Play In Raising Our Children?

POTWR 2019 Vol 13: Why Not Support The Military Industrial Complex?
POTWR 2019 Vol 14: Was The Unabomber Also The Zodiac And Tylenol Killers?

POTWR 2019 Vol 15: Post Your Favorite Politically Incorrect Comedy Clips Or Jokes

Smoked whole chicken with Alabama white sauce

Chicken:
  • Brine it for a couple hours (salt, pepper, brown sugar)
  • Spatchcock (i.e. remove the backbone), then remove legs and wings
  • Add dry-rub (whatever you like but I used some spicy Spanish stuff)
  • Smoke on 225F for 3 hours
  • Spray every half hour with mix of water, apple-cider vinegar, salt
  • Increase heat to 425F to crisp the skin
  • Remove wings from the smoker after about 15 minutes (or skin looks good)
  • Remove legs from the smoker after about another 15 minutes (or skin looks good)
  • Remove the breast portion from the smoker after about another 15 minutes (or skin looks good)

Here's the breast from the one I did yesterday. Might have gone a hair long, but tasted great! Juicy and smoky.

rPNvtvL.jpg

White Sauce:

• 1 cup mayo
  • 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 3 teaspoons cream style horseradish
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika

Instructions:
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth. Transfer to a jar with a tight lid and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 week. Brush on chicken while grilling.

I didn't brush it on while grilling. Instead the sauce was used to coat the chicken upon being removed from the smoker. This was done in a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Next time I might coat some of the parts while they cook and see if it makes much difference.

Here's the legs after being coated in the sauce. Best damn BBQ chicken I've ever had.

tEVGzNR.jpg

Can you put the recipe in print here?

PS: Chimi is great!
https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/smoked-beef-short-ribs-with-chimichurri/
Link

Recipe copy/pasta:
Ingredients
For the Chimichurri Sauce:

• 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, thick stems removed
  • 3 jalapeños, roasted, peeled & stemmed
  • 3/4 cup red onion, small dice
    6 garlic cloves, rough chop
  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
  • 2 tbsp capers
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Cattleman’s Grill 8 second ride Carne Asada Seasoning
Instructions
Stabilize your Kamado Joe Classic III at 275º-300ºF set up for smoking.

Score the fat cap of the beef ribs and trim away any exposed silver skin.

Spread a thin layer of Flavocano Smoky Red Pepper Sauce over the entire surface of the short ribs. Season with a layer of Killer Hogs The AP Rub. Rub the seasoning into the score marks on the fat cap. When the AP Rub appears wet on the surface it has attached to the meat. Then repeat the seasoning process with the Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Steak Seasoning.

Place a few fist sized chunks of Cattleman’s Grill cherry smoking wood on the coal bed. When the chunks ignite, set the grill up for indirect cooking and transfer the short ribs to the grill.

Smoke the ribs until probe tender. There should be very little resistance when probed with an instant read thermometer, and the internal temperature will surpass 205ºF. The length of the cook with depend on the size of the slab of ribs. Our 6 lb slab took about 5 1/2 hours.

To make the chimichurri, place all of the ingredients into the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped and well combined. Adjust consistency with more olive oil for a looser sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Can you put the recipe in print here?

PS: Chimi is great!
My "wing-it" Chimichurri:
1: whole bunch cilantro
1: whole bunch flat leaf Italian parsley
1: Whole fresno chili (Chili red)
+/- 1/2 cup Olive oil (I never measure anything, derp!)
1/4 cup +/- red wine vinegar (never balsamic)
1: Whole clove elephant garlic
1: hand full green onion tops (about 3)
2: tsp +/- Kosher salt
1: tsp +/- smoked paprika
Buzz in food processor, drizzle with Olive oil to achieve desired texture. Drizzle in Orange blossom honey until you've found your favorite balance....

Nothing compliments charred meat better...…..

My "wing-it" Chimichurri:
1: whole bunch cilantro
1: whole bunch flat leaf Italian parsley
1: Whole fresno chili (Chili red)
+/- 1/2 cup Olive oil (I never measure anything, derp!)
1/4 cup +/- red wine vinegar (never balsamic)
1: Whole clove elephant garlic
1: hand full green onion tops (about 3)
2: tsp +/- Kosher salt
1: tsp +/- smoked paprika
Buzz in food processor, drizzle with Olive oil to achieve desired texture. Drizzle in Orange blossom honey until you've found your favorite balance....

Nothing compliments charred meat better...…..

Nice. Yeah, measuring is overrated. Have you considered chopping up small bits of red onion and throwing it in after everything else has been in the processor?

No option for Ice or paper plates?

But seriously, I got Mennonite hookups from my old delivery routes, I'll bring sweet corn that'll blow your face off.

But seriously, I got Mennonite hookups from my old delivery routes, I'll bring sweet corn that'll blow your face off.

Fuck. I shoulda put corn in the poll. :oops:

What makes it so good? Their butter perhaps? Used to always buy the Amish butter at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Can't say why it was better, it just was.

@senri

I belive this thread will be of your interests

What makes it so good? Their butter perhaps? Used to always buy the Amish butter at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Can't say why it was better, it just was.
The butter is great, but also the soil here is also nice and every ear is consistently good. The kernels just pop in your mouth, you just give them a minute or two on the barbaque, butter, S&P, and attack. Makes you feel like a kid again.

The butter is great, but also the soil here is also nice and every ear is consistently good. The kernels just pop in your mouth, you just give them a minute or two on the barbaque, butter, S&P, and attack. Makes you feel like a kid again.

My birth-state of Iowa is pretty well-known for corn. If it's better than that then...

giphy.gif

My birth-state of Iowa is pretty well-known for corn. If it's better than that then...

giphy.gif
lol, well I don't wanna oversell if, but if a BBQ doesn't have ribs and sweet corn count me out.

Does it make your skin soft and pliable when you consume the butter coating deep inside you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back