Potential rule changes coming up

I still think being able to use your hands to "ground" yourself is stupid. It should be a knee or your butt and back, that's it. And when you're grounded, you should be able to kick regardless if the other person is grounded or not making up kicks more available from your back. Makes no sense not to be able to kick to the head when you yourself are grounded.

I think the issue was that people would exploit the rule so that they wouldn't get hit, but could still use an arm off the ground to protect against a guillotine or something. Now, if they want to be grounded against strikes, they have to leave their neck exposed.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that eye poking is already illegal. I don't really care if it's made illegal to point your fingers at someone - but it does seem like kinda ridiculous to me. At least start by making actual eye poking having consequenses.

It's better to prevent than to punish.

There is no purpose in keeping your fingers extended towards your opponents face other than to "accidentally" poke them in the eyes.

In some ways I'm okay with that, or I don't care, but in other ways I find it ridiculous that you can't even point at someone's face in the supposedly most realistic fighting sport around.
Jon Jones is why we need these rules. Other fighters have picked up on this grey area and copied him.

It's better to prevent than to punish.

There is no purpose in keeping your fingers extended towards your opponents face other than to "accidentally" poke them in the eyes.

There's the purpose of having them think twice about closing the distance - cause you could get poked in the eyes.

I'm not opposed to the rule, but it's definitely watering down the concept of no nonsense, ultimate fighting.

There's the purpose of having them think twice about closing the distance - cause you could get poked in the eyes.

I'm not opposed to the rule, but it's definitely watering down the concept of no nonsense, ultimate fighting.

Exactly, that's cheap.

What if a fighter constantly kicks towards the balls at a safe distance in order to keep his opponent away for fear of a nut shot?

It's intentional and should be ruled as such.

To be completelly sure about that, this is the difference of being grounded and not grounded? (ignore the monkey arms lol)

1e717e2a9c.png

Exactly, that's cheap.

What if a fighter constantly kicks towards the balls at a safe distance in order to keep his opponent away for fear of a nut shot?

It's intentional and should be ruled as such.

Same thing: It's watering down the concept of fighting. And I'm not, as such, opposed to that. I do, however, feel like the concept of Ultimate Fighting doesn't need such rules. MMA probably does, though.

"to make a fighter grounded, both palms, both fists, or a palm and a fist must be touching the canvas"

This is a great change, so the fighter must have BOTH hands on the ground...previously you could put one finger. With this change it will dramatically change that position because the person on the defensive will need to commit to putting both hands down which will leave them open for a choke, etc or alternatively they can be knee'd :).

I have been saying for years that if simply the definition of a grounded fighter changed it would be a big step in the right direction.

The eye pokes are a ticking time bomb. So any rule changes there are a good thing. The both hands on the mat is concerning, if Im reading that correctly. So a fighter is getting up after a knock down, trip or whatever. As soon as ONE of his hands leave the mat he gets soccer kicked in the face? Yowza!

Wow. So Jon Jones is basically going to have 2+ years to completely change his style due to new rules.

I am 100% okay with that.

Also, fuck those fighters who "play the game" with being "grounded" to avoid a knee to the face. They deserve a knee to the face just for playing the fucking game.

Same thing: It's watering down the concept of fighting. And I'm not, as such, opposed to that. I do, however, feel like the concept of Ultimate Fighting doesn't need such rules. MMA probably does, though.

That's like saying the humane treatment of POWs and civilians are watering down the concept of war.

A "talk to the hand" manner...

200w.gif

No he's breaking the rule as he walks away. His fingers are pointed toward the camera ( fighter ). It just needs to be a little more uhhh authoritative, so to speak.

Back