Post Your Gloves/Gear

How's it going brother! I'm always down to talk gear, but honestly I'm one of the greenest guys in here as I just recently started buying more high end gear.

Like you I have larger hands for my size and tend to gravitate to Mexican gloves. Aside from that they're aesthetically beautiful and as a first generation Mexican American, I'm not going to lie, I get an irrational sense of pride knowing something so world renowned is produced in the mother land.

Not a bad idea to use the budget gear for the punch, push drills. I understand the OCD, I'd probably lose my mind if I saw a kid at the gym doing that in a pair of Cleto's or Sabas.

The Venum Hammer's are an awesome bag glove! The liner is extremely comfortable, the hand positioning is what sold me, and the hand compartment is difficult to describe. Probably the best part of the glove, it's easy to get in there, but it's not roomy to the point where you feel like your hands are just swimming in there. The feedback is also on par if not better than a Mexican style glove imo,and I'm extremely biased to Mexican style gloves for the previously mentioned reasons. For reference those are 18 Oz and I got them to really blast the bag at full power, I usually train in 16 and 12 Oz. The "normal" colorways are actually on sale right now if you're interested.

Which Mexican brands do you feel accommodate your hands the best? In larger and smaller oz's if you don't mind sharing. I'm actually looking for a 12 Oz pair of gloves to replace my cheap Cheerwing when they inevitably fall apart. Cleto was not it for me, the hand compartment wasn't accommodating to my hands and I'm unable to land flush with my knuckles in them, even in 16 Oz.

I personally like Casanova’s and Boxeo for pocket size. Boxeo’s have maybe a little more initial comfort but you give up padding. My all around favorite glove to spar with is Casanova’s. My favorite bag glove is Boxeo’s. I have read where some caution against sparring in these gloves. I have never had any complaints about my gloves being stiff but I tend to use heavier gloves.

The sparring at our gym is meticulously monitored by the trainers and you better have your laces in a lace n loop or they’re going to tape your gloves with electric tape. Add a little head and sweat to that tape and the dye will be torn off your good sparring gloves when you untape. We had a professional MMA fighter end his career in a sparring match when an untaped glove injured his eye permanently. Ever since then you either bring athletic tape to wrap your laces or they won’t allow you to spar unless they put that damned electrical tape on them.

Weights are even monitored. If you are under 130 you can use 12oz, under 152 you can spar with 14oz. After that, you have to have 16oz to light heavyweight then it’s 18oz. Our heavyweights (super-heavyweight if an amateur) are required to spar in 20oz- which is what I use at 183/83 kilos. We have gym gloves if your training gloves are not suitable for sparring. Gym gear is all Amber gloves and protectors. They smell like gym gloves too because they’re used then put on the gear table to soak up the sweat and blood.

My son is currently sparring in Rival RS 100 gloves. Great glove and great padding. Two weeks before your fight, our routine is to lighten up the sparring and increase your cardio. That’s when I spar with some of the fighters using my Mexican gloves. They police the gloves real closely if you are new or have tried to use gloves lighter than gym rules require.

It took me this long to answer your question: A really great glove with great padding and slim profile is the Russian Boxer gloves. I don’t own a pair but I am known to ask to look at your gloves if they appear unique. A fighter from Michigan who is in residence for the summer at our gym has them. He is a small guy and has a pair of 12oz. For the profile I was shocked at how well padded they are. I am unfamiliar with the glove but they are made in Mexico. I was impressed with the gloves. Classic Mexican glove look and feel. They look like 8oz fight gloves. This little dude can really throw his hands with them on. He’s very well trained and has phenomenal physical skills. He is currently the best amateur we have in our stable. We have a fight on July 3 at the gym and he is scheduled to fight. So is my son. We do have a 118 professional but that guy is a monster. He hires out his sparring partners when he’s in camp. He forgets that some people don’t speak Spanish and if he’s talking to you and is excited or is sparring he yells at you with his mouthpiece in and in Spanish. His gloves are beautiful in that way that good Mexican gloves are.

When I looked at his Russian Boxer gloves I thought to myself “…oh great, another pair of gloves I’m obsessed with getting…” Another pair that I became obsessed with is the Lopez Andrades gloves. Fortunately our own Edgar Martinez has helped me with that. When I get them I have Edgar’s permission to post a review and details about getting them. You need to begin a conversation with @Edgar Martinez about these gloves. He is our resident expert on Mexican gloves. He can suggest and locate a pair for you. Phenomenal service and communication too.

As far as your being green. If you are a bona fide glove nerd the way all of us in this forum are, welcome home my friend. You have found kindred spirits here. I simply love reading other’s impressions of boxing gloves. Another relatively new member is @Mark6pro He is the real thing and has a dedicated site with his impressions. He is a great evaluator of gloves too.

The main two who makes a “Flores-style glove” should really stop, just sullying a legendary name. I know older guys who actually used Flores who bought these “Flores style gloves”, almost all comments are that the imitators are terrible.

I don’t think I’ve heard a single reviewer/youtuber who has actually had a respectable opinion on older equipment. Just a bunch of people who want to sound like they know what they’re talking about, faking it until they make it. All these expert boxers.

I’m very hopeful for Barric’s gloves which have heavy influence from old Shevlin and the Flores glove. From what I’ve seen, I’m expecting great things.

I personally like Casanova’s and Boxeo for pocket size. Boxeo’s have maybe a little more initial comfort but you give up padding. My all around favorite glove to spar with is Casanova’s. My favorite bag glove is Boxeo’s. I have read where some caution against sparring in these gloves. I have never had any complaints about my gloves being stiff but I tend to use heavier gloves.

The sparring at our gym is meticulously monitored by the trainers and you better have your laces in a lace n loop or they’re going to tape your gloves with electric tape. Add a little head and sweat to that tape and the dye will be torn off your good sparring gloves when you untape. We had a professional MMA fighter end his career in a sparring match when an untaped glove injured his eye permanently. Ever since then you either bring athletic tape to wrap your laces or they won’t allow you to spar unless they put that damned electrical tape on them.

Weights are even monitored. If you are under 130 you can use 12oz, under 152 you can spar with 14oz. After that, you have to have 16oz to light heavyweight then it’s 18oz. Our heavyweights (super-heavyweight if an amateur) are required to spar in 20oz- which is what I use at 183/83 kilos. We have gym gloves if your training gloves are not suitable for sparring. Gym gear is all Amber gloves and protectors. They smell like gym gloves too because they’re used then put on the gear table to soak up the sweat and blood.

My son is currently sparring in Rival RS 100 gloves. Great glove and great padding. Two weeks before your fight, our routine is to lighten up the sparring and increase your cardio. That’s when I spar with some of the fighters using my Mexican gloves. They police the gloves real closely if you are new or have tried to use gloves lighter than gym rules require.

It took me this long to answer your question: A really great glove with great padding and slim profile is the Russian Boxer gloves. I don’t own a pair but I am known to ask to look at your gloves if they appear unique. A fighter from Michigan who is in residence for the summer at our gym has them. He is a small guy and has a pair of 12oz. For the profile I was shocked at how well padded they are. I am unfamiliar with the glove but they are made in Mexico. I was impressed with the gloves. Classic Mexican glove look and feel. They look like 8oz fight gloves. This little dude can really throw his hands with them on. He’s very well trained and has phenomenal physical skills. He is currently the best amateur we have in our stable. We have a fight on July 3 at the gym and he is scheduled to fight. So is my son. We do have a 118 professional but that guy is a monster. He hires out his sparring partners when he’s in camp. He forgets that some people don’t speak Spanish and if he’s talking to you and is excited or is sparring he yells at you with his mouthpiece in and in Spanish. His gloves are beautiful in that way that good Mexican gloves are.

When I looked at his Russian Boxer gloves I thought to myself “…oh great, another pair of gloves I’m obsessed with getting…” Another pair that I became obsessed with is the Lopez Andrades gloves. Fortunately our own Edgar Martinez has helped me with that. When I get them I have Edgar’s permission to post a review and details about getting them. You need to begin a conversation with @Edgar Martinez about these gloves. He is our resident expert on Mexican gloves. He can suggest and locate a pair for you. Phenomenal service and communication too.

As far as your being green. If you are a bona fide glove nerd the way all of us in this forum are, welcome home my friend. You have found kindred spirits here. I simply love reading other’s impressions of boxing gloves. Another relatively new member is @Mark6pro He is the real thing and has a dedicated site with his impressions. He is a great evaluator of gloves too.
20oz at 83kg? Jesus christ

Jesus, I'd love if the gloves were a bit better controlled in my gym.
The only rule the coach has is "minimum 14oz." He did stop one guy using 16oz Reyes once because they were "too hard", but has no problem with other people using bottomed out 14oz gloves that are years old and have been used on the heavy bag. We have coaches from (former) East Germany and one who spent a long time in Cuba. I think in both places they were sparring regularly a few decades ago in 12oz, so 14 oz seems ok.

Should I buy these gloves? I dont like the colour but I dont want to wait 4 - 6 months for a nice colour and extra velcro, this is all they have in stock
EO8V8KQ.jpg

Should I buy these gloves? I dont like the colour but I dont want to wait 4 - 6 months for a nice colour and extra velcro, this is all they have in stock
EO8V8KQ.jpg
These gloves are getting very hard to find. Now there are plenty of “Winning” knock offs out there. My son has a pair I gave to him and was approached about selling them while he had them on. I gave them to him because I do not enjoy using them. The practical side of me will not let me enjoy using them. Every minute, every round I use them all I can think is I’m that much closer to having to replace them. They are great sparring gloves but I do not like using them on the bag. Another problem is they are the opposite of Mexican gloves. They are large, they are pillowy, they’re plush and padded. My son doesn’t consider any of those things. He uses great gloves because I buy him great gloves. He has become somewhat snobby about gloves because of my interest in them and he has an almost unlimited selection. But I suspect he’d be using the Amber gym gloves if I wasn’t around. If you need a pair of Winning and the price is right, you probably need to pull the trigger. All the sites that currently sell Winning gloves are mostly out of stock. I got mine from a pawn shop and the owner guaranteed his gloves. Spoke to him for about 6 hours in all and he is a former professional fighter and knows boxing gloves. He showed me what to look for. Most of the knock offs are so good now you have to actually see them and put your hands in them. The lining, the tags, that distinctive thumb, the weight label in the palm, the laces. I don’t know much about the velcro kind or as the Japanese call them the “tape” kind. But I have bought lots of used and new gloves from this pawnbroker back in the day and he kind of got me started collecting premium gloves. He died years ago. Before I met him I kind of knew what gloves to stay away from, real leather is mostly much better, but other than that, not really. There is a variable in economics called the “time-place” value that makes a purchase worth much more than the market price. If your time-place value is high, and the price is good, you may want to get them. Or wait however long Winning takes to put more gloves in the market.

EO8V8KQ.jpg
I would buy them.
Here in Tokyo the big shop that usually stocks custom colors is out of stock on most of the Winning products.

Last year they had shelves full of gloves. Now there are mostly 8 oz. Pro Fight gloves on the shelf.

I was told that it's a 3 to 6 month wait for them to get the standard colors in.

I did go to another shop and they had some red and blue 16, 14, and 12 oz. Gloves. But they are down to the last few pairs.

I picked up some 14 oz. Lace up gloves for the heavy bag and an FG5000 head guard while I was there.
It will be awhile before they get any stock built up.

Pictures showing the shelves last year compared to this year.
Fitness Shop near Suidobadhi Station in Tokyo.
SmartSelect_20210629-050613_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210612-160734_Gallery.jpg

Center Sports in Shibuya had these in stock about a week ago.

SmartSelect_20210629-050502_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I would buy them.
Here in Tokyo the big shop that usually stocks custom colors is out of stock on most of the Winning products.

Last year they had shelves full of gloves. Now there are mostly 8 oz. Pro Fight gloves on the shelf.

I was told that it's a 3 to 6 month wait for them to get the standard colors in.

I did go to another shop and they had some red and blue 16, 14, and 12 oz. Gloves. But they are down to the last few pairs.

I picked up some 14 oz. Lace up gloves for the heavy bag and an FG5000 head guard while I was there.
It will be awhile before they get any stock built up.

Pictures showing the shelves last year compared to this year.
Fitness Shop near Suidobadhi Station in Tokyo.
View attachment 863987

View attachment 863988

Center Sports in Shibuya had these in stock about a week ago.

View attachment 863989
What's up with the gloves that already have embroidery or printing done on them? Were they used pairs?

What's up with the gloves that already have embroidery or printing done on them? Were they used pairs?
You're correct.
Those are just old gloves for people to see custom color examples and to try different weight (hand compartment sizes).
Embroidery examples also.

These gloves are getting very hard to find. Now there are plenty of “Winning” knock offs out there. My son has a pair I gave to him and was approached about selling them while he had them on. I gave them to him because I do not enjoy using them. The practical side of me will not let me enjoy using them. Every minute, every round I use them all I can think is I’m that much closer to having to replace them. They are great sparring gloves but I do not like using them on the bag. Another problem is they are the opposite of Mexican gloves. They are large, they are pillowy, they’re plush and padded. My son doesn’t consider any of those things. He uses great gloves because I buy him great gloves. He has become somewhat snobby about gloves because of my interest in them and he has an almost unlimited selection. But I suspect he’d be using the Amber gym gloves if I wasn’t around. If you need a pair of Winning and the price is right, you probably need to pull the trigger. All the sites that currently sell Winning gloves are mostly out of stock. I got mine from a pawn shop and the owner guaranteed his gloves. Spoke to him for about 6 hours in all and he is a former professional fighter and knows boxing gloves. He showed me what to look for. Most of the knock offs are so good now you have to actually see them and put your hands in them. The lining, the tags, that distinctive thumb, the weight label in the palm, the laces. I don’t know much about the velcro kind or as the Japanese call them the “tape” kind. But I have bought lots of used and new gloves from this pawnbroker back in the day and he kind of got me started collecting premium gloves. He died years ago. Before I met him I kind of knew what gloves to stay away from, real leather is mostly much better, but other than that, not really. There is a variable in economics called the “time-place” value that makes a purchase worth much more than the market price. If your time-place value is high, and the price is good, you may want to get them. Or wait however long Winning takes to put more gloves in the market.
These are official from wjapan

I was going to buy them the original price was 560usd including shipping which realistically I couldn't afford it I wasn't having half payed for me for my birthday from my mum and grandma

But now they're asking for 700 usd. Screw that

That's a steep upcharge for a double width velcro wrist strap and custom color.
I like Winning gloves but they are definitely not worth $700.

That's a steep upcharge for a double width velcro wrist strap and custom color.
I like Winning gloves but they are definitely not worth $700.
Yeah... especially for a colour I don't even like. That's 950 dollars in my currency which is ridiculous

I just wish somewhere had the double wide velcro in stock.

Winning usa claims they can get them made in 50 - 60 days but idk how true this is considering everywhere else has 60 - 180 days. So idk if its true.

Is it worth just getting standard velcro? I heard normal velcro is terrible but I dont want laces

Yeah... especially for a colour I don't even like. That's 950 dollars in my currency which is ridiculous

I just wish somewhere had the double wide velcro in stock.

Winning usa claims they can get them made in 50 - 60 days but idk how true this is considering everywhere else has 60 - 180 days. So idk if its true.

Is it worth just getting standard velcro? I heard normal velcro is terrible but I dont want laces
I like the standard Velcro just fine.
The laceup gloves with Lace 'N Loop Velcro straps do provide a little bit more wrist support than the Winning Velcro gloves do.

But to be fair, that depends on how tight you wrap the strings around your wrist.

The best wrist support is going to be laceup gloves that are tied on by your coach.

But comparing Velcro to a laceup glove with Lace 'N Loop wrist straps, the Velcro gloves aren't that far behind.

In the gym I train at most everyone uses velcro Winning gloves for heavy bag, and mitts.

The only time laceup gloves are used is for sparring.

The convenience of Velcro is hard to beat.

My personal opinion is that I like the Velcro gloves.
However, many people here that have far more experience than I do, dislike the Winning Velcro.

Pic for reference.
I use Lace 'N Loop straps on the 14 oz. Gloves.
Screenshot_20210616-190244_Gallery.jpg

The laceup gloves with Lace 'N Loop Velcro straps do provide a little bit more wrist support than the Winning Velcro gloves do.

But to be fair, that depends on how tight you wrap the strings around your wrist.

The best wrist support is going to be laceup gloves that are tied on by your coach.

But comparing Velcro to a laceup glove with Lace 'N Loop wrist straps, the Velcro gloves aren't that far behind.

In the gym I train at most everyone uses velcro Winning gloves for heavy bag, and mitts.

However, many people here that have far more experience than I do, dislike the Winning Velcro.

Pic for reference.
View attachment 864286

Fuck it i'm orderingj some standard velcro ones, but what colour? I like white but it seems like they wouldn't look very good for very long

i like black but idk it almost seems a little plain

i like red but idk

i like blue, but i just got blue flys so idk

Fuck it i'm orderingj some standard velcro ones, but what colour? I like white but it seems like they wouldn't look very good for very long

i like black but idk it almost seems a little plain

i like red but idk

i like blue, but i just got blue flys so idk

The struggle is real. :)
I bought what was available for my last two purchases. As you can see I ended up with a lot of blue.

From what I've seen, white is less common.
So certainly more unique among the stock colors.

I was looking for some black 14 oz. But the shop only had red and blue, so I took what I could get.

The struggle is real. :)
I bought what was available for my last two purchases. As you can see I ended up with a lot of blue.

From what I've seen, white is less common.
So certainly more unique among the stock colors.

I was looking for some black 14 oz. But the shop only had red and blue, so I took what I could get.
honestly this didn't help me at all, I have no idea what colour to choose

These are official from wjapan

I was going to buy them the original price was 560usd including shipping which realistically I couldn't afford it I wasn't having half payed for me for my birthday from my mum and grandma

But now they're asking for 700 usd. Screw that
Not worth it.

Pic for reference.
View attachment 864286
Can you post a pic of the gloves other way round? Velcro have less padding on the inside of the wrist?

Back