possible to have messed up my metabolism?

After a fair bit of weight cutting, crash dieting, large fluctuations i've found the following - Fat comes off the same way it always did if i can maintain compliance to the same caloric deficit and training schedule. What's changed is that ability to maintain compliance. Have trouble controlling appetite, binge eat a fair bit, and have fixations with food in a way i never did prior to attempts at dramatic body comp changes.

To make progress from this point i had to take a lengthy break and cut the fixation with caloric intake and finely tuned macros. I'd just eat 3 satisfying meals a day, making a non-obsessive intuitive attempt at ensuring that it's reasonably "healthy" and congruent with my goals.[\b] A decent amount of protein, fat to keep it palatable, and if i ever have a low carb meal it's incidental... because i felt like it opposed to a purposeful and calculated elimination. I've just ratcheted up the intensity and frequency of my workouts until the fat started coming off. If I'm at my current limits for frequency/intensity and the fat still isn't coming off then I'll try a modest reduction in caloric intake. This allows me to maintain consistency with my food intake and maybe an important step for anyone that's developed a whacky relationship with food. Highly individual of course but it's worked for me.

This is what ive been trying to do in order deal with the uncontrollable appetite and fixations. Just making it non obessive and purposeful. I dont hold myself back either if I wanted a treat

I used to be 130lbs 8-10% bf eating between 2500-3000 and walk around that weight prior to competing even with less training but now im 140lbs 12-15% bf and have been at this weight for the last few months.
Ps incase anyone is wondering at 5'2" Ive went as low as 115lbs to 120lbs and it was hell for me. Ive even went to drastic measures to eating 1000 and under cals, fasting 48hrs, not eating any carbs ect.
25 years old. Id say from jan to july ive put myself through having to eat 1000 cals and under to no more then 1500. And this was on top of training 10-15hrs+ and working part time at the same time. And day or 2 before weigh ins id cut off food and water

wait, what? you need to cut 2000 calories a day, dropping down to 1000 calories a day, for 6 months, plus dehydrate for 2 days to cut 15 - 20lbs?

i think you're not doing a good job of keeping track of what you're eating or something above isn't phrased right...

wait, what? you need to cut 2000 calories a day, dropping down to 1000 calories a day, for 6 months, plus dehydrate for 2 days to cut 15 - 20lbs?

i think you're not doing a good job of keeping track of what you're eating or something above isn't phrased right...

Ive most likely have been undereating and at the same time training 4-5 week 2x a day, spending hours at the gym. This was a recipe for disaster.

You really think its hard to burn 2000 calories a day or more with high volume training and just eating protein and greens couple to few times a day keeping fats to a minimum? It`s possible, but is it optimal for athletic performance, most likely not. At least not at my experience.

Ive most likely have been undereating and at the same time training 4-5 week 2x a day, spending hours at the gym. This was a recipe for disaster.

You really think its hard to burn 2000 calories a day or more with high volume training and just eating protein and greens couple to few times a day keeping fats to a minimum? It`s possible, but is it optimal for athletic performance, most likely not. At least not at my experience.

no, i don't think it's hard to burn 2000 calories a day (which is, of course, not what i said or implied).

i'm saying your numbers don't make any sense. you cut 2000 calories/day from your diet, dropping down to 1000 calories per day, for months, while doing "high volume training", and you only end up losing 15-20lbs? that makes no sense. that's why i think you're not keeping an accurate record of your calories (i think you're eating more than you think you are).

no, i don't think it's hard to burn 2000 calories a day (which is, of course, not what i said or implied).

i'm saying your numbers don't make any sense. you cut 2000 calories/day from your diet, dropping down to 1000 calories per day, for months, while doing "high volume training", and you only end up losing 15-20lbs? that makes no sense. that's why i think you're not keeping an accurate record of your calories (i think you're eating more than you think you are).

Fair enough so maybe I was eating more, this can probably take into account of the many episodes of uncontrollable binges (something ive never experience before strictly going on protein amd veggies while training and competing), as to why i couldnt get lower then 115lbs, I dont know why but I certainly know I wasnt even at my best in terms of performance and recovery, overall health and well being, and the issue im having now is why I tend to be heavier getting back to eating normal habits then I once was.

Fair enough so maybe I was eating more, this can probably take into account of the many episodes of uncontrollable binges (something ive never experience before strictly going on protein amd veggies while training and competing), as to why i couldnt get lower then 115lbs, I dont know why but I certainly know I wasnt even at my best in terms of performance and recovery, overall health and well being, and the issue im having now is why I tend to be heavier getting back to eating normal habits then I once was.

i suspect you're STILL not keeping an accurate count of how much you're eating.

Interesting vid I came across, layne norton gos on about on metabolic damage. Starts at about 10:00 mins

Layne's idea is a convenient idea, but it's completely false. I've done a ton of research on anorexia and I can tell you that it doesn't result in any kind of permanent problems once treated. There's never been any evidence of permanent metabolic damage from dieting or from being fat unless it's never treated. I also don't think Layne really understands homoeostasis of allostasis for that matter.

Layne's idea is a convenient idea, but it's completely false. I've done a ton of research on anorexia and I can tell you that it doesn't result in any kind of permanent problems once treated. There's never been any evidence of permanent metabolic damage from dieting or from being fat unless it's never treated. I also don't think Layne really understands homoeostasis of allostasis for that matter.

Interesting take, is it possible to even temporarily damage metabolism?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back