possible to have messed up my metabolism?

This is the filthy underbelly of sports that enforce weight limits.

Do you honestly think Johnny Hendricks has a good relationship with food?

Ive always wondered why doesnt he go to lower weight class given his height.

Whats the deal with hendricks and food?

Ive always wondered why doesnt he go to lower weight class given his height.

Whats the deal with hendricks and food?
[YT]aabtO-5B19c[/YT]

He's doing well enough at 170lbs to justify staying there. IMO.

But like Frankie Edgar he's small enough where he shouldn't have to go on a huge weight cut to make 170lbs.

Good way to put at it. I guess small changes will come along way as to what dead was saying which comes to your point in terms of watching calories and activity level. Still though what causes jump in sudden weight gain from water. Would this be responsible for "shocking" the body? Or its just a result from overeating and miscalculating

And in regards to high activity level, you're right about that.

Normally 80% of my training is light and the rest is high and it isnt very long or say above my anaerobic threshold very long if i were to add up the amount total time from rounds and drills ect. The only time id up volume of high intensity is couple weeks before competition.

Even then id Its impossible to go high intensity for an hours on end without overtraining.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shocking the body'. But salt and carb intake, particularly high amounts of simple carbs, will cause you to hold onto water.

If you feast on a high carb salt bomb meal (pizza and potato chips, a Big Ole BK meal, or a fuck off Chipotle) after a week or 2 of really good behavior, you are definitely gonna bloat.

[YT]aabtO-5B19c[/YT]

He's doing well enough at 170lbs to justify staying there. IMO.

But like Frankie Edgar he's small enough where he shouldn't have to go on a huge weight cut to make 170lbs.

Good point, cant view vid now cause im at work but ill definately check it out

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shocking the body'. But salt and carb intake, particularly high amounts of simple carbs, will cause you to hold onto water.

If you feast on a high carb salt bomb meal (pizza and potato chips, a Big Ole BK meal, or a fuck off Chipotle) after a week or 2 of really good behavior, you are definitely gonna bloat.

Shocking as in its not used too eating a sudden increase in calories

Negative from a purely weight perspective but when I do that I feel like I could manhandle a rhino. Huge boost of energy, all the general malaise of strict dieting disappears for a few days, and an increased general feeling of wellness.

Man I remember eating entire chocolate cream pies at Big Boy's after a wrestling meet and wondering why I had problems lol.

Shocking as in its not used too eating a sudden increase in calories

Well, outside of just absurd levels of gluttony, I highly doubt you could 'shock' your body with caloric increases.

The body has a very predictable, efficient, and not at all shocking way of handling calorie surpluses. Food is converted and energy not needed at the moment is stored as fat in case it is needed for future use. And water is retained at very predictable ratios depending on sodium intake and a few other factors.

Simple. Predictable. Nothing shocking about it.

Trust me, your body is in no way shocked by any of this. Your mind, however, is struggling to grip how seemingly small lifestyle adjustments effect your body.

Negative from a purely weight perspective but when I do that I feel like I could manhandle a rhino. Huge boost of energy, all the general malaise of strict dieting disappears for a few days, and an increased general feeling of wellness.

I never said anything about it being good or bad. It just is.

But I would submit to you that if your diet is causing you general malaise day to day, and the only brief respites of wellness and energy come from 'cheat meals', you might want to take another look at what you are doing.

Why would you cut so aggressively if you were already a normal... and I would argue, even UNDER weight?

Why would you cut so aggressively if you were already a normal... and I would argue, even UNDER weight?

Good question it was more likely along the lines of being obsessed of getting as low as I can. Never again!

Good question it was more likely along the lines of being obsessed of getting as low as I can. Never again!

It's just baffling to me. I mean, most shorter guys try to get BIGGER, not smaller. You're current weight and BF% is perfectly normal. IT sounds like you have an eating disorder - when you look in the mirror are you disgusted by what you see? Do you feel guilty if you eat?

Be at peace bro.

I do believe he said he was making weight for fights. Most fighters want to stay close to their fighting weight, which they're told is as low as they can get to. Pretty common occurrence, CAN lead to eating disorders, definitely.

It's just baffling to me. I mean, most shorter guys try to get BIGGER, not smaller. You're current weight and BF% is perfectly normal. IT sounds like you have an eating disorder - when you look in the mirror are you disgusted by what you see? Do you feel guilty if you eat?

Be at peace bro.

^^^ what sinister said. I wont lie bro, its not that im disgusted its more of the fear of fighting bigger opponents which why im concerned with the weight gain, not much looks. The lighter I am the easier, more confident I feel fighting smaller opponents. I can care less if I even have some flab on me. During this hellish experience of dieting and weight cutting I did find myself regretting binging on certain food. Now i dont binge, if I feel like having ice cream, desserts after a nice solid meal, why not. I also stop if im full. Food is not a priority, I dont go by time or amount unless ofcourse Im gonna be training or done training.

Last edited:

Be at peace bro.

You've never fought or wrestled.

To answer your question with more than just anecdotes and common sense, yes, it is possible to negatively effect your metabolism. It happens sometimes in weight class sports. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with "eating more calories than you actually think" or simply "just cut your calories and work out more."

From fucking with electrolyte balance, dehydration, and malnourishment, it is very possible to damage your endocrine system. This isnt a psychological issue or a mind over matter deal of eating less. Cutting weight will physically damage your thyroid gland in a way that can put a person into mild hypothyroidism that will wreak havok on your existing metabolic rate. This is why after years of cutting weight, you will see wrestlers get fat, even though they are still very active and still keep sensible diets.

This can be treated with thyroid drugs and your thyroid can eventually bounce back. Sometimes it cannot. To say it is just a calorie in calorie out or a psychological issue is a haphazard answer when adding weight cutting into equation of metabolic rate.

To answer your question with more than just anecdotes and common sense, yes, it is possible to negatively effect your metabolism. It happens sometimes in weight class sports. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with "eating more calories than you actually think" or simply "just cut your calories and work out more."

From fucking with electrolyte balance, dehydration, and malnourishment, it is very possible to damage your endocrine system. This isnt a psychological issue or a mind over matter deal of eating less. Cutting weight will physically damage your thyroid gland in a way that can put a person into mild hypothyroidism that will wreak havok on your existing metabolic rate. This is why after years of cutting weight, you will see wrestlers get fat, even though they are still very active and still keep sensible diets.

This can be treated with thyroid drugs and your thyroid can eventually bounce back. Sometimes it cannot. To say it is just a calorie in calorie out or a psychological issue is a haphazard answer when adding weight cutting into equation of metabolic rate.

Permanent alterations in thyroid function are actually quite rare. Most of the time the changes are very transient (because thyroid, especially T4 to T3 conversion, is transient in order adapt to nutrient intake). Likewise, minerals, macronutrients, and vitamins can adversely affect thyroid function, but again, it is transient and easily fixable.

The dude added in a bunch of foods he had been eliminating for a long time, and is getting older (moving away from the heightened metabolic state of a teenager). It's not rocket science that you would put on weight after that. Sometimes (most), it really does come down to something as simple as too many calories and making psychological errors.

After a fair bit of weight cutting, crash dieting, large fluctuations i've found the following - Fat comes off the same way it always did if i can maintain compliance to the same caloric deficit and training schedule. What's changed is that ability to maintain compliance. Have trouble controlling appetite, binge eat a fair bit, and have fixations with food in a way i never did prior to attempts at dramatic body comp changes.

To make progress from this point i had to take a lengthy break and cut the fixation with caloric intake and finely tuned macros. I'd just eat 3 satisfying meals a day, making a non-obsessive intuitive attempt at ensuring that it's reasonably "healthy" and congruent with my goals. A decent amount of protein, fat to keep it palatable, and if i ever have a low carb meal it's incidental... because i felt like it opposed to a purposeful and calculated elimination. I've just ratcheted up the intensity and frequency of my workouts until the fat started coming off. If I'm at my current limits for frequency/intensity and the fat still isn't coming off then I'll try a modest reduction in caloric intake. This allows me to maintain consistency with my food intake and maybe an important step for anyone that's developed a whacky relationship with food. Highly individual of course but it's worked for me.

Last edited:
Permanent alterations in thyroid function are actually quite rare. Most of the time the changes are very transient (because thyroid, especially T4 to T3 conversion, is transient in order adapt to nutrient intake). Likewise, minerals, macronutrients, and vitamins can adversely affect thyroid function, but again, it is transient and easily fixable.

The dude added in a bunch of foods he had been eliminating for a long time, and is getting older (moving away from the heightened metabolic state of a teenager). It's not rocket science that you would put on weight after that. Sometimes (most), it really does come down to something as simple as too many calories and making psychological errors.

This. While I'm sure it's possible to permanently damage thyroid function and the endocrine system, that's a lot harder to do than Holt seemed to be suggesting.

Permanent damage would take some very extreme behaviors done consistently over an extended period of time. The very fact that wrestling has seasons, and the fact that fighters are not having to make weight every week for their entire life makes doing permanent damage a lot less likely. I would suspect female models are at a lot more risk, as modeling does not have seasons.

As to his suggestion that wrestlers are fat when they are older, even with an active lifestyle and good diets, due to damage they did while they were cutting-I am going to have to call BS on that as well. I think you will find that for the vast majority of the time, it is down to food and lifestyle choices.

When I was wrestling in college during the late 1980's and early 1990's, weigh-in regulations were probably as lax as they were at any point in history. We could basically weigh in any time we wanted the day before the match. You could weigh in at 8:00 am on a Tuesday morning and be wrestling at 8 pm on a Wednesday evening. That's 36 hours. That's more recovery/rehydration/refueling time time than MMA fighters and boxers have today.

Thankfully, I was not at the top of the food chain in college, and I was not having to cut all the time. But I remain friends with most of the wrestlers that did. Some of whom were all Americans. And without exception, the ones to have a good diet and exercise regime are fit and thin, and the one that don't are either fat or thin-fat.

Last edited:
After a fair bit of weight cutting, crash dieting, large fluctuations i've found the following - Fat comes off the same way it always did if i can maintain compliance to the same caloric deficit and training schedule. What's changed is that ability to maintain compliance. Have trouble controlling appetite, binge eat a fair bit, and have fixations with food in a way i never did prior to attempts at dramatic body comp changes.

To make progress from this point i had to take a lengthy break and cut the fixation with caloric intake.

This sounds about right, and pretty close to my experience. During wrestling season when you were really going through a lot of extremes, I would get a lot of hunger signals I would have to fight. After wrestling season, of course I would indulge those signals for a bit, and in the absence of grueling wrestling practices, you plump up a bit. But once you get back to a normal, balanced eating cycle, removed excessive alcohol consumption, and begin an off season training regimen, things got back to normal pretty quick.

Back