possible to have messed up my metabolism?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by MMouse, Oct 10, 2013.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

For those regular posters and knowledgeable opinions in the nutrition field, this past year Ive made several threads from going on a keto, to calorie restricting, drastic weight cutting while at the same time having gone through five fights.

Now Ive given myself a break and went back to my normal eating habits. I dont find myself binging like I used to (keto, calorie restricting, weight cutting, ect) though I do treat myself so aslong I get the right foods as I still train 10-15hrs per week. I dont stress myself like I used too so I eat reasonable 3 meals a day, eat when im hungry, stop when im full, drink plenty of water and take my flaxeed oil and multi, very basic stuff.

Though I find eating back to normal around 2500-3000 cals im actually heavier then I once was before doing all sorts "diets", what I find odd is that im even training more then I used to eating around 2500-3000cals. I used to be 130lbs 8-10% bf eating between 2500-3000 and walk around that weight prior to competing even with less training but now im 140lbs 12-15% bf and have been at this weight for the last few months.

Is it possible I may have lowered my metabolism threshold from all that dieting and weight cutting?

Ps incase anyone is wondering at 5'2" Ive went as low as 115lbs to 120lbs and it was hell for me. Ive even went to drastic measures to eating 1000 and under cals, fasting 48hrs, not eating any carbs ect.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

how old are you?

3. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

I've noticed the same trend through out the years with my own dieting.

I'll cut hard and then return to a slightly higher weight than before and have lost some lean muscle. Thus I'm a lot fatter and slightly heavier. I've always chalked it up to muscle loss causing my metabolism to drop yet an increased desire for food because of dieting.

Finding a balance isn't as easy as one would think. I'd love to hear some input from the more scientifically educated posters on this board.

4. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Did the same thing for wrestling for years, and had a similar outcome. I just try not to worry about it and be as healthy as I can now.

5. Nozza

Nozza Purple Belt

If there have been any effects I cannot find any evidence that it's permanent and won't return to balance after normal eating for a while. Certainly not something I'd worry about.

6. MMouse

25 years old. Id say from jan to july ive put myself through having to eat 1000 cals and under to no more then 1500. And this was on top of training 10-15hrs+ and working part time at the same time. And day or 2 before weigh ins id cut off food and water

7. MMouse

Thank god im not the only one who see's it like this. Youve summed up what im going through

8. Seriously-Dead

Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

If your goal is to stay lighter, you're eating too much food. Its that simple. 3000kcal a day at 130lb will no doubt cause weight gain. It's important to reestablish a good relationship with food, but if you have other goals you need to be reasonable about it and have some balance. There's no metabolic damage, you just overshot, which is extremely common. This is probably also why you've had the extra energy to train more. Obviously 115 was too low if you had to do crazy shit to get there and felt like garbage, so you have to find the middle ground, or a tolerable way to get back there that doesn't bring you back to binge eating.

9. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Yellow Card

same happened to me i now walk around a good 15 to 20 pounds bigger than i use to unless i really watch what i eat and is alot harder to drop

10. Seriously-Dead

If your goal is to stay lighter, you're eating too much food. Its that simple. 3000kcal a day at 130lb will no doubt cause weight gain. It's important to reestablish a good relationship with food, but if you have other goals you need to be reasonable about it and have some balance. There's no metabolic damage, you just overshot, which is extremely common. This is probably also why you've had the extra energy to train more. Obviously 115 was too low if you had to do crazy shit to get there and felt like garbage, so you have to find the middle ground, or a tolerable way to get back there that doesn't bring you back to binge eating.

11. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Take it from a 44 year old former D-1 wrestler whose weight can fluctuate 70-80 lbs year to year (both positively and negatively :icon_chee ), it is pretty much impossible to permanently 'mess up your metabolism'

While a persons metabolism is kind of like a fingerprint to a degree (none are exactly the same) there are fundamental principles that apply to all.

1) Activity level effects metabolism.
    2) Sleep can effect metabolism
    3) All things equal, the older you get, the less calories you need.

4) People almost always underestimate the amount of calories they are eating, and overestimate the intensity level of their exercise and it's calorie burn.

Though you might consider yourself a 'very active' person that does 'hard exercise' 6-7 days a week, in reality you more closely approximate a moderately active person who does moderately intense exercise 3-5 days per week.

And a 5'2 25 year old who weighs 135 or so and is exercising moderately maybe needs 2300-2500 calories a day to 'break even'.

To this day, when I start getting what I consider is too chunky for me (which is pretty damn chunky), I start running.

Not jogging. Running. 8-8:30 minute miles. Once I get up to where I am running 5-6 miles a day 6 days a week, the weight just starts falling off like you would not believe. But I can 'jog' 2-3 miles a day 4-5 days a week and see almost no change for ages.

And let me tell you. At 44, you basically have to eat like a bird if you are not doing any physical activity.

A 44 y/o sedentary male needs about 2100 calories a day. :icon_cry2

12. Seriously-Dead

This this this. So true, and so applicable to most situations where people are having problems managing weight. Self-reporting of activity levels and calorie intake have been repeatedly shown to be unreliable in study after study after study after study.

13. MMouse

thanks for the feedback dead,

I have to find a middle ground like you said, now I guess its a matter of timing my foods, how much to eat on that given time depending on the day, activity. Correct?

14. cooks1

While 'food timing' may help you have energy for activities, it effect on overall metabolism is somewhat overblown.

15. MMouse

Thanks cooks

With your experienced I cant say I disagree.

It just seems odd that getting back to "normal" eating habits my weight has flucuated much higher than it once was.

Couple of folks in this thread has said the same thing as well.

Did you find when you went back to eating normal throughout your weight flucuation that you werent exercising as hard as you were and or possibly eating alot more at the same time?

16. Seriously-Dead

If you want to get back to 130, it mostly comes down to just eating less. Like cooks said, timing can be important for energy levels, but has negligible effects on metabolism.

Just an FYI, my own personal experience after quitting low-carb/IF lifestyle led to a ~30lb weight gain in just under 2 years. About 10lbs came on really fast (likely just water, glycogen - since the weight gain happened in about a month) and the last 20lbs came on over about 1.5 years. I essentially did the same thing (exercised about 8 hours a week, mostly lifting, bit of running) and just ate however I felt. I went from 137lbs at my lowest to 165 at my highest where I stabilized for about 4 months. Since then I'm down to 160lbs over a couple months, and all it took was a few very simple dietary interventions (not buying 1 gallon pales of ice cream every month, drinking only 2L of milk per week instead of 4L, and halving my oatmeal intake by eating it in smaller bowls, not visiting buffets every month). I look essentially the same as I did at 137lbs now, and it shows in my lifts. I had the luxury of not competing in a weight class sport so I could afford this flexibility though - so you have to keep that in mind.

Having that "ah fuck it" period is a good luxury to have every now and then, when you just eat and let weight gain happen. But depending on your goals, you need to reign that shit in eventually. And that doesn't mean going back to doing some crazy keto/48 hour fasts, etc - it just means making small changes to get a hold of your diet.

17. cooks1

Honestly, balance is something I struggle with. I am generally either a fitness and diet nazi, or I just go completely off the rails. This is an active choice I make by the way. Though over the last couple years I have been more balanced, as regaining a high level of fitness from a fat, sedentary lifestyle is becoming more and more difficult as I age. But I am a big fan of basically eating and drinking whatever I want from Halloween to the Superbowl.

If I did not have a yoga and pilates nut wife 9 years younger than me and in great shape, I'd probably be 300 lbs and loving every minute of it. :icon_chee

It's just about really knowing how many calories you are actually eating. And understanding the difference between moderate exercise and high intensity exercise. Almost all exercise people think is high intensity is actually moderate intensity.

The vast majority of 2 hr BJJ practices are moderate exercise, if not even light exercise. Playing a full speed basketball game or soccer match for an hour and a half is high intensity.

18. MMouse

Again nice to hear im not the only one. probably say some of the weight gain could also be water.

Would you think its possible for you to get down to that weight without killing yourself? I thought I asks this because last year before I got into these "diets" or had any clue to what cutting is and just ate when ever I felt like it along with other basic stuff (right foods, training, enough sleep ect) I actually got as low as 122lbs feeling fine. What stressed me out even more was the training. Now I happened to find it the other way around

19. MMouse

Good way to put at it. I guess small changes will come along way as to what dead was saying which comes to your point in terms of watching calories and activity level. Still though what causes jump in sudden weight gain from water. Would this be responsible for "shocking" the body? Or its just a result from overeating and miscalculating

And in regards to high activity level, you're right about that.

Normally 80% of my training is light and the rest is high and it isnt very long or say above my anaerobic threshold very long if i were to add up the amount total time from rounds and drills ect. The only time id up volume of high intensity is couple weeks before competition.

Even then id Its impossible to go high intensity for an hours on end without overtraining.

20. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

This is the filthy underbelly of sports that enforce weight limits.

Do you honestly think Johnny Hendricks has a good relationship with food?