Poll: The Overeem vs. Rozenstruik Stoppage

Your opinion on the stoppage

• Total voters
Bad. The decision to not let it go a few more seconds most likely decided the outcome of an entire 5 round fight.

I don't think these scenarios are the same. First, Jake Shields got hit and dropped, however, immediately he rolled to his back and covered up, he wasn't flash KO'd. Then seconds later went for Dan's leg and attempted a submission shortly after. Shields was completely fine the whole time and was in a good defensive position. The moment he was hurt he covered up and was able to defend himself.

Overeem got dropped and was defenseless with his hand down, Rozen could have put him out cold but backed off. Overeem was in no position to defend himself and Dan saw that rushing it to save him. Luckily, Rozen already back off. If Rozen was gonna attempt another shot the ref would have got in there to stop him. Dan stopped the fight right there and then. And he made the right call cause when Reem got up, he was clearly wobbled and out of it. If the fight continued then Reem would get really hurt.

And the timing is not something to be used in Reems favor. Refs never decide to stop a fight based on time in the round. Every scenario gets judged the same when a fighter is hurt like Reem.
Shields was absolutely flash KOed he woke up while falling. The ref didnt stop the fight when Overeem got dropped though he stopped it after Overeem got back to his feet so thats not really relevant anyway.

Shields was absolutely flash KOed he woke up while falling. The ref didnt stop the fight when Overeem got dropped though he stopped it after Overeem got back to his feet so thats not really relevant anyway.

Difference is that Shields automatically was able to intelligently defend himself. He rolled to his back right away and then grabbed Dans body and then went for a leg and attempted a sub. Overeem was defenseless and not able to continue and that is why Dan stopped the fight. He got dropped, Dan ran towards them to stop fight at that point, he pushed JRozen off while he was already walking away. He waves the fight off with his right hand while Reem is getting up, then he grabs a hold of Reem to keep him stable and waves it off again with his left. The whole sequence last like 3 seconds....Dan had all the intentions to stop the fight right when Reem was dropped.

I don't see any debate here. Reem was done and couldn't continue. It was a clear knock out, he wasn't flash KO'd, he was knocked out. You don't have to be unconscious to be KO'd.

Difference is that Shields automatically was able to intelligently defend himself. He rolled to his back right away and then grabbed Dans body and then went for a leg and attempted a sub. Overeem was defenseless and not able to continue and that is why Dan stopped the fight. He got dropped, Dan ran towards them to stop fight at that point, he pushed JRozen off while he was already walking away. He waves the fight off with his right hand while Reem is getting up, then he grabs a hold of Reem to keep him stable and waves it off again with his left. The whole sequence last like 3 seconds....Dan had all the intentions to stop the fight right when Reem was dropped.

I don't see any debate here. Reem was done and couldn't continue. It was a clear knock out, he wasn't flash KO'd, he was knocked out. You don't have to be unconscious to be KO'd.

Overeem had nothing to defend himself from when the fight was stopped, he was on his feet and his opponent was on the other side of the octagon with his back turned celebrating. I don't think fights should be stopped with a standing fighter unless that fighter is out on his feet while being in danger of being hit(like Daley vs Kampmann). Overeem was out on his feet but was in zero danger of being hit unless Dan decided to hit him cause no one else was close enough to do so.

Dan did not run in to stop the fight, he ran in to get a better look to see if he should stop the fight, he didn't actually stop the fight till after Overeem was back on his feet.

Overeem was flash KOed like Shields was only Shields woke up while falling and recovered faster once he woke back up. Dan however didn't stop attacking like Rozenstruik did.

Palhares flash KOed Miller and the ref didn't stop that fight, Anderson flash KOed Bisping and the ref didn't stop that fight either, Dan fucked up.

Last edited:
Overeem had nothing to defend himself from when the fight was stopped, he was on his feet and his opponent was on the other side of the octagon with his back turned celebrating. I don't think fights should be stopped with a standing fighter unless that fighter is out on his feet while being in danger of being hit. Overeem was out on his feet but was in zero danger of being hit unless Dan decided to hit him cause no one else was close enough to do so.

Dan did not run in to stop the fight, he ran in to get a better look, he didn't stop the fight till after Overeem got back to his feet.

Overeem was flash KOed like Shields was only Shields woke up while falling and recovered faster once he woke back up. Dan however didn't stop attacking like Rozenstruik did.

LOL, no and no. Dan ran in to stop the fight, and you know how I know that?? Cause he actually stopped fight. Dan stopped the fight before Reem even got up. Watch the sequence.....I just had a better look at it in this video. Dan runs over and yells something, very likely stop. Before he even gets to Reem he taps JRozen then waves the fight off, and then he approaches Reem to help him up and then waves it off again. Doesn't matter what Reem did after he got up cause the fight was already over. The fight was stopped with Reem on the ground, watch Dans right hand while Reem is down. The key is Dan's right hand waving while Reem is down. Fight over.

If it went on any longer that cut would have gone to his eye.

r8wewtzm1sf01.gif

If Dan didn't yell for the fight to be stopped Overeem would of ate few Yoel uppercuts and all the threads on sherdog would of been like R.I.P. Allistar Overeem. Just look how Overeem dropped with his palms down to his waist touching the floor and his face unprotected inviting CTE.

I'm a Dutchie and I think it was a good stoppage, he didn't know where he was. Here a lot of people disagree on it, after seeing it multiple times, it's about 50-50. Now imagine having to make that decision in 1 or 2 seconds. It's not easy being a referee and I believe he did a great job

Every argument FOR the stoppage includes "what if", "could have", "would have".

Just saying

LOL WHAT

he fucking walked away. Mirgliotta SAW HIM WALK AWAY.

The correct move would have been to let the fight keep going. LIke there's no debate.

Wrong, as soon as a ref in MMA See's the fighter concussed, it's enough to warrant a stoppage, or in boxing give a 10 count.

It is clear Overeem Was out on the way down, and that alone justifies a stoppage.

LOL, no and no. Dan ran in to stop the fight, and you know how I know that?? Cause he actually stopped fight. Dan stopped the fight before Reem even got up. Watch the sequence.....I just had a better look at it in this video. Dan runs over and yells something, very likely stop. Before he even gets to Reem he taps JRozen then waves the fight off, and then he approaches Reem to help him up and then waves it off again. Doesn't matter what Reem did after he got up cause the fight was already over. The fight was stopped with Reem on the ground, watch Dans right hand while Reem is down. The key is Dan's right hand waving while Reem is down. Fight over.

Dan did not stop the fight till Overeem was back on his feet. Watch what happens after the gif when he actually stops the fight or look at the clock. The fight was stopped at 4:56 which is after Overeem is back on his feet.

Edit: just rewatched the end of the fight again, Dan doesnt end the fight till Overeem is back on his feet and 4:56 is after Overeem is back on his feet. You're wrong.

Last edited:
Why are we pretending that the ref couldn't see Overeem's face split in half? He was a few feet away at the perfect angle to see the carnage.

Dan did not stop the fight till Overeem was back on his feet. Watch what happens after the gif when he actually stops the fight or look at the clock. The fight was stopped at 4:56 which is after Overeem is back on his feet.

Edit: just rewatched the end of the fight again, Dan doesnt end the fight till Overeem is back on his feet and 4:56 is after Overeem is back on his feet. You're wrong.

No I am not my friend, you are incorrect. Take a look at this pic attached, this is at 4:51 with 9 seconds left, you can tell cause the clock says 9 seconds. And this is before JRozen throws the first shot and still near the center of the cage. There is no way no how that in a span of 5 seconds, JRozen backs Reem up, lands the combo, then backs of with Dan running in, Reem gets up and the fight is waved off.

I watched the fight live and the timing where Dan waves his hand the first time standing over Reem is exactly at 4:56, 5 seconds later after the 9 second mark photo here. If you're using the timing when Reem is standing up and Dan is waving in his face that is exactly 5:00 mins. Watch the fight live and count the seconds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 6.18.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 6.18.26 PM.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 1
Reem is a class act. They should have at the very least let it go so it would end or we could get another Romero/ Rockhold type of finish.

Bisping:

“Referee Dan Miragliotta -- I love Dan Miragliotta. He’s a great guy. I think he’s a very, very good referee and they do a very hard job. They have to make split-second calls in a tough situation. But Overeem wasn’t knocked out. Rozenstruik hits him, puts him down, smashes his lip wide open, and then thinks it’s a walk-off knockout. Turns around and just walks away. But Overeem gets up and then walks opposite direction. Walks away from Rozenstruik but even still, he’s still on his feet. He wasn’t knocked out, and then Miragliotta waves the fight off. It was very unusual.

“The record stands; Rozenstruik won that fight. Simple as that. What I’m saying is that if I was Overeem, he’s got grounds to be a little pissed off, a little bit annoyed. Possibly — and I’m not a fan of doing this — the appeals. He’s certainly got potential grounds there for a real appeal.”

Back