Poll: The Overeem vs. Rozenstruik Stoppage

Your opinion on the stoppage

• Total voters
It was an okay stoppage knoll
Imo --Biggie Boy helped the cause by walking away imo

You're not taking the momentum into account. That's why I posted the gif there too. He was staggering on both feet for 2 steps once he first touched down from the big punch. In the first picture, he still has forward momentum. See how his foot is by Reems knee & then in the 2nd his foot is by Reem's waist. That 2nd is the very moment when he finally estalished his base & he was turned that direction just to get a solid base.

Anywayz... what's the difference? I think we're trying to to debate whether or not he did a walk off KO or whether or not it was because he saw Dan coming in. I think it could be both him feeling it & seeing Dan moving in. The reason that question is even on the table is because people are saying that Rozey called his own KO & the ref was swayed by the fact that Rosey walked off.

I think it's very clear by the fact that Dan was running in before Rosey even stopped his forward momentum, that the decision was made to stop the fight before Rozey walked off yeah?

The momentum of his feet has nothing to do with his head turning to his right before he can see Dan and before Dan's mouth opens, he's already decided to walk away before he can see or hear Dan.

This isn't boxing. There's no 10 counts. When a fighter gets knocked unconscious, which Reem clearly was, the fight is supposed to be stopped. Reem waking back up when his head hits the cage is irrelevant. The fight was already done.

When Is a Knockdown a Knockout?
CarelessLittleAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

(h/t KazDibiase)

"Rozenstruik comes at him, throws a left straight and puts everything he has for one enormous right hand. The punch that sends Overeem crashing against the cage wall, where he falls over. Rozenstruik walks away, and Miragliotta does not halt the fight. Overeem stands up and stumbles along the fence, leading Miragliotta to call the fight with mere seconds left."

Round 5
4:56

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...truik-PlaybyPlay-Results-Round-Scoring-167215

"A knockdown occurs when a fighter touches the floor . . . with any part of the body other than the feet following a hit, but is able to rise back up and continue fighting." (Boxing)

"A flash knockdown is a knockdown where the fighter hits the canvas but recovers quickly enough that a count is not started." (Boxing)

it was terrible.
AO was back up and walking before Dan could get even close to him.
Some time awareness by Dan would have shown AO was fit to continue for the remaining 3 seconds of that fight.

Dan fucked up royally.

No point in crying over spilt milk. Our bitching ain't gonna do shit

The momentum of his feet has nothing to do with his head turning to his right before he can see Dan and before Dan's mouth opens, he's already decided to walk away before he can see or hear Dan.
You seem to be ignoring peripheral vision in the first picture. Dan is clearly in site. So your "eye's in the back of his head commentary is just not valid.

rozenthal-ko-reem-2-jpg.689673

In the second picture which is like a half second later, he's facing Dan a little bit more & so even more in his site. This is when he very first landed & hadn't turned to walk off yet.

rozenthal-ko-reem-jpg.689675

Again, what is the point of whether or not he did a walk off KO or if he saw Dan running in to stop it? The whole discussion was started because someone said that Rozey manipulated the decision to stop it with his walk off. There's also a commentary that the fight was stopped while Reem was standing. It's very clear by these 2 stills that the Decision to stop it was made before Rozey's forward momentum even stopped & Reem was still on the ground. Can we at least agree on that?

Attachments

• Rozenthal KO Reem 2.JPG
    Rozenthal KO Reem 2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Rozenthal KO Reem.JPG
    Rozenthal KO Reem.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
This should have been a case of Andy vs Bisping, yet it was more like when Hunto would one hit quit guys and the ref reacts based on the post punch reaction of the deliverer and not the receiver

Edit just saw the above post with still photos... seems like it’s the other way around, good post.

I still think it was quick since Reem was still cohearent and could of defended himself until the bell it should’ve went to the score card IMO

Last edited:
Do people not understand this is how the other 70 endings to every overeem tko looks

The fight was stopped because Reem was dropped on his ass, flash ko’d and defenseless. Hands on the mat, no attempt to recover guard. The ref is instructed to protect the fighters by stopping the fight the moment one guy stops “intelligently defending one’s self” regardless of time remaining in a round.

I wouldn’t have stopped it personally because rozen walked off and only 2 seconds left but i understand why Dan ended it.

(h/t KazDibiase)
If the cage wasnt behind him he fell out flat on his back. He was out. Just look at his arms and legs...
It even looks like the cage makes him wake up a little bit after he fell against it.
If you guys cant see that there is no debating.

He was out of it but wasnt done, the ref shouldnt have stopped it. If Dan had reffed Hendo vs Shields Hendo would have won by TKO instead of losing a lopsided decision.

I don't think these scenarios are the same. First, Jake Shields got hit and dropped, however, immediately he rolled to his back and covered up, he wasn't flash KO'd. Then seconds later went for Dan's leg and attempted a submission shortly after. Shields was completely fine the whole time and was in a good defensive position. The moment he was hurt he covered up and was able to defend himself.

Overeem got dropped and was defenseless with his hand down, Rozen could have put him out cold but backed off. Overeem was in no position to defend himself and Dan saw that rushing it to save him. Luckily, Rozen already back off. If Rozen was gonna attempt another shot the ref would have got in there to stop him. Dan stopped the fight right there and then. And he made the right call cause when Reem got up, he was clearly wobbled and out of it. If the fight continued then Reem would get really hurt.

And the timing is not something to be used in Reems favor. Refs never decide to stop a fight based on time in the round. Every scenario gets judged the same when a fighter is hurt like Reem.

One of the worst stoppages I’ve seen in 15 years watching.

At first i was okay but now i'm down to terrible. The key is Rozenstruik walking away. That was his fuckup, Reem was coming back up. He fucked up by walking away and should have lost because of it. It's like Street Jesus said. It's not over till the ref stops it, those extra shots are super necessary. The ref fucked up.

People talk about what would have happend if Overeem continued to take punches. That completely misses the point. The referee didn't save Overeem from more punches. Rozen turning around and walking off did that. Rozen did not deserve the win. Overeem was back on his feet, yes wooobly, but clearly concious to last 5 more seconds. Maybe the fight should have been stopped because of the cut, but that's a doctor decision, not a referee decision.

Dude, I didn't think Overeem won, I thought it was a draw but there was no way he was going to get hit again before the round ended unless Dan decided to punch him; His opponent was on the other side of the octagon celebrating and there was only a few seconds left.

How the hell do you stop a fight while a guy is on his feet in no danger of being hit? That's retarded.
Barring that last punch, Overeem could have won 3-2 what I saw from the scorecards. Ref's have some discretion about whether a fighter can properly defend himself and Hunt had some walk off ko's. Rozenstruik knew he landed a bomb so he could feel confident about walking off.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/jairzinho-rozenstruik-vs-alistair-overeem-scorecards-revealed/

Alistair overeem is one of the worst veterans of the sport i've ever seen.
if he runs into someone he can't bully he fucking dies every time and it's happened like 70x.
no defense ever. just an arrogant fucking asshole that never learned.

Thats completely false. His gameplan was tight and consistent, not giving Rozenstruik who is a good counterstriker much to work with. He steadily picked away at Rozenstruik and hit him with good shots and was ahead on the scorecards. It wasn't like he panicked and made huge errors. His mistake was that he heard the clappers in the final 10secs and backed away with his hands down.

(h/t KazDibiase)

"Rozenstruik comes at him, throws a left straight and puts everything he has for one enormous right hand. The punch that sends Overeem crashing against the cage wall, where he falls over. Rozenstruik walks away, and Miragliotta does not halt the fight.
Dan does stop the fight he's running in and yelling at Rozenstruik. Then taps Rozenstruik confirmation he stopped the fight. Then Rozenstruik walked away, while dan checking reem's condition and letting Reem know he called it then.

LOL WHAT

he fucking walked away. Mirgliotta SAW HIM WALK AWAY.

The correct move would have been to let the fight keep going. LIke there's no debate.

This. A referee closely watches the fighter knocked down to see if they are in serious trouble and incapable of defending themselves. Ref saw Roz walk away with 2 seconds left and Reem wasn’t knocked out cold or getting pummeled on and in serious danger, Mirgliotta messed up here.

Reem was already fuct up. Worst case ref stops it to check the cut and dr stops it. He saw the cut and knew it was over. I guess reem could have eaten a few defenseless powershot for no reason at all, but he was done. Reem stood and stumbled away, the ref saw the lip, waved his arms. Match over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duelbits
Back