Rumored Poll: Are Americans more likely to root for foreign fighters than other nationalities are?

Does it matter to you if a fighter shares your nationality?

• Total voters
Normal Americans are more confident in "just being American" and dont feel the need to chant about it all the time. Obviously we have our giant flag waving idiot exceptions. Funny i know alot of Turks and Greeks and they are always trying to tell me how awesome their country is and what they're country has done. Ive lived abroad and never felt the need to brag "USA! USA!" though of course i love my country

I got the feeling that Americans don't care as much about the nationality of a fighter when they're deciding favourites, compared to other countries which might be more patriotic/biased towards their own.

That's a big fucking YES. The under 35yo American HATES his/her country and is programmed to absolve their guilt of personally owning slaves and nuking Japan by rooting for ANYONE EXCEPT an American. Conversely, no one else on the planet is capable of racism or xenophobia, or are entitled to have those beliefs because of American oppression. It's a great formula for sovereign longevity. Just ask Yuri

Im Canadian...and will cheer any Canadian on for sure..but thats cuz we dont have alot of guys in the game at the moment...

But i also dont care about nationality when deciding who to cheer for... Its not part of my selection process...just an added bonus if someone is from canada or italy or wherever

Americans like winners, doesn't matter where you're from. We also hate losers, doesn't matter where you're from.

Unless they're fighting in the Olympics, I couldn't be careless about what nationality the fighter is. I naturally like certain fighters, and I don't care for some other fighters.

first option for me. If no horse in the race, usually root for the american by default. but if i am following a foreigner, no problem rooting for them over an american i do not like/do not know them.

Americans tend to root for foreigners more often than others from what i have seen.

Im American, zero connection to Croatia, would root for Mirko over anyone.

No? Lennox Lewis is forgotten in Boxing history since he's not American.. Teddy Atlas didn't even list him in his topp 5.

In terms of cheering, I usually switch who I'm rooting for about 10 times during a fight, so country means nothing (American). I usually just want to see something great, whatever it is.

I feel like I do generalize certain countries fighters tending to have solid bases in certain disciplines though if I don't know anything else about them

Like if a dude comes out wrapped in the USA flag I kinda assume he's got a decent wrestleboxer base.
Or england I assume the dudes gonna be a decent boxer
Russian gonna be able to wrestle
A brazilian dude gonna be good on the ground
etc

so thats prolly racist

This poll: a fighter's nationality doesn't matter

An actual UFC crowd: USA! USA! USA!

As someone from the US, I am a fan of probably almost as many foreign fighters as I am of American fighters.

Foreign fighters waving their countries flags & showing their support for their country doesn't bother me. The chant 'Uh vai morrer' in Brazil doesn't bother me either. However, if a fighter does all this kind of stuff while not living in their home country, it seems ridiculous.

I'm Canadian and if a fight has a canadian i will most likely support him unless they other fighter is a fighter i am a fan of

I’m American, haves lived all over the u.s, and I don’t really care which country the fighter is from. If I enjoy watching them fight I will pull for them.

Back