Rumored Poll: Are Americans more likely to root for foreign fighters than other nationalities are?

Does it matter to you if a fighter shares your nationality?

• Total voters
"Are your eyes closed? Do you not see that the torrents of blood are all the same color? Do you think I drink the blood of the Black ones more readily than that of the Pacific Islanders? All may make a sacrifice and bear witness."--Just Bleed Bible 3:16

America is multi national. An African American fan may have intense hate for Colby Covington and yet love chael sonnen. It could be factor of politics and charisma.

I'd say it's 50/50. I usually look beyond nationality.

"Are your eyes closed? Do you not see that the torrents of blood are all the same color? Do you think I drink the blood of the Black ones more readily than that of the Pacific Islanders? All may make a sacrifice and bear witness."--Just Bleed Bible 3:16

Like I always say...when the fighters are thanking Gods (of any sort) the "Just Bleed" is silent...

There are more American fighters in the UFC so it becomes less an a rallying point. If there was only one or two American fighters you can bet your ass Americans would be backing them in droves.

yeah, that's a good point. this would probably happen if there were only a few american fighters around.

Brits and Australians are usually the ones being biased fanboys on here

I hope nationality doesn't make anyone disregard or hate a fighter. And if I root for someone because it's like "oh I lived there or near there, that's cool" I'm never taking away anything from the other fighter. I will always root for the most violent and consequently #Gaethjebless but not because he's American.

Like I always say...when the fighters are thanking Gods (of any sort) the "Just Bleed" is silent...

JBG wants blood, and as a disciple I want blood. That is all.
<{JustBleed}>

Don't really care...

But America does have the best in every sport

GSP - MMA
Giannis - Basketball
Ronaldo - Soccer
Whoever is #1 in Tennis and Golf

<{ohyeah}><{ohyeah}><{ohyeah}>

I don't care about nationality, but I always root for asian fighters

As a brazilian, much of the media sells it like Brazil vs. rest of the world. They even have a count after each fight that shows how many fights brazilian fighters won or lost against non-brazilians. And before cards they talk about the "brazilian squad" and what not. So this give people a bigger push to root for home guys.

As to americans, there are too many americans in the UFC so it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the UFC is american and most fights take place there. So for other countries it feels like fighting on their opponents home. Like the US is the one defending their position as #1.

But in title fights it always much more clear to see americans supporting their own.

Haha, what? So put another way, you think it is odd that Americans are deeply interested in countries they are not well familiar with.

What you are running into here is American xenophilia. The only people Americans really hate with any commitment are each other, and one of the lies we tell about each other is that we're xenophobic, but nothing could be further from the truth. Americans love traveling abroad, are the world's best tourists by almost every measurement, and are warm towards those who visit us.

And yet us 'Murcans get the xenophobe rep from people who are way more xenophobic. Go figure. If anything it's reached the point where you're considered an idiot if you're 'Murcan and root for a fellow 'Murcan because we're actively being taught to hate our own nation and everything it used to stand for.

It’s all about the fighter and the way they carry themselves in the cage and then secondarily I look to how they behave outside the cage to gauge my favorites.

lol you never been to a show? Americans are racist as fuck.....'USA, USA, USA'

I'm British and have never had a favourite fighter from the UK, although many of my favourites happen to be from Europe or Russia - by mistake.

I support the fighters that I most enjoy watching fight. I don't jump on the bandwagons, and I'm more than likely to dislike some fighters because of their terrible fans (Fedor, for example, was never a favorite because of his shit nuthugger fans. I recognized his talent, but his fans.....bleh).

I don't care what country someone is from in MMA. If they are fun to watch fighting, I like them. If I find myself wanting to turn the channel, I don't like them.

Well let's see, fighters I always root for no matter what include Mark Hunt, Anderson Silva, Robert Whitaker, Charles Oliveira, and Gegard Mousasi.

Back