Poirier responds to Sherdoggers criticizing the guillotine attempts

Dustin has never won a fight by guilltine lol

Tries it every single fight, he really wants that guilltine finish

It’s a high percentage in friendly sparring sessions in my opinion, so much pressure on the throat it’s different to like a triangle where you will fight it even till your out sometimes, because you don’t feel like gagging etc. I’ve seen people go out lots to triangles but not many chokes like the rnc or guillotines that put pressure on the throat.

He probably lands it heaps in training and feels confident in it, but some of these dudes in the cage don’t give up easily.

It’s a high percentage in friendly sparring sessions in my opinion, so much pressure on the throat it’s different to like a triangle where you will fight it even till your out sometimes, because you don’t feel like gagging etc. I’ve seen people go out lots to triangles but not many chokes like the rnc or guillotines that put pressure on the throat.

He probably lands it heaps in training and feels confident in it, but some of these dudes in the cage don’t give up easily.
Guillotines are a funny one, when I started training it was my kryptonite for a long time, I did a few grappling comps and each time I lose it was by quillotine.
Few years later now, I give my neck every time, and don't remember last time i tapped, I just use it to pass the guard now, let them have the guilltine and step over the legs or von flue, because I know they won't finish it. I feel like its like those karate guys that take kicks to the balls for years, your throat just adapts to it over time or something

Had the feeling Dustin still trained for the next Khabib fight in his mind.
3 Guillotine attempts, tried a lot of takedowns and escaped very good.
Looked like he trained way more grappling.
His striking on the other side...
His defense looked bad and he dropped his hands way too much. Despite landing at an awesome rate, he also threw a lot of sloppy punches.

Tired Hooker still landed 61% overall and at 78% and 71% in rounds 4 and 5. That's not acceptable. ;)

I’m not the biggest Poirier fan but I’ll always love him for beating Justins ass. Prime Dustin wrecked Gaethje. Aside from Justins leg kicks, Poirier destroyed him with superior boxing.
He also fought the Gaethje who was reckless. I think that fight goes differently in a rematch (which for sure could happen.) Not saying Poirier doesn't have a chance but Gaethje is fighting very differently now.

Guillotines are a funny one, when I started training it was my kryptonite for a long time, I did a few grappling comps and each time I lose it was by quillotine.
Few years later now, I give my neck every time, and don't remember last time i tapped, I just use it to pass the guard now, let them have the guilltine and step over the legs or von flue, because I know they won't finish it. I feel like its like those karate guys that take kicks to the balls for years, your throat just adapts to it over time or something
The initial feel of a guillotine is the definition of a choke. I never have got comfortable with it always makes me feel like I’m going to throw up hahaha

I’m not the biggest Poirier fan but I’ll always love him for beating Justins ass. Prime Dustin wrecked Gaethje. Aside from Justins leg kicks, Poirier destroyed him with superior boxing.

Why on earth would you hate on JG?

I get liking Poirier, but why wouldn't you like a guy that leaves it all in the cage every time like Gaethje?

Did he offend you in an interview or something?

honestly, when u look at hooker's face after those guillotine attempt, it really drained him badly. Defending multiple very close guillotine is very hard on the body and the mind.
Khabib is smiling reading this from his homegym in Dagestan. "You're funny brother," Khabib said.

Good sense of humor. He's done a complete 180 since the lead up to the Michael Johnson fight. He went from a dislikable piece of shit who made 90% of fans happy when MJ caught him to a solid fan favorite.
Was he a trash talker before the Michael johnson fight? As far as I know he just went full heel for that fight for no fucking reason and looked stupid. Like how chiesa was always cool then decided to start being an ass for the pettis fight.

Good sense of humor. He's done a complete 180 since the lead up to the Michael Johnson fight. He went from a dislikable piece of shit who made 90% of fans happy when MJ caught him to a solid fan favorite.
Everyone loves it when the cocky guy gets his ass kicked, and actually comes back to down to earth instead of making excuses.

Who knows after trying so many times he might finish one someday.
One evening in college I was at a bar with a friend. There were no good looking females there, so my friend starts hitting on this fat chick.

I said “Dan, you do pretty well with the ladies, why are you hitting on fat chicks?”

“Practice” - He says.

Play the numbers. You pull that slot machine enough times, it’ll hit eventually.

It's tough to not be a fan of Poirier -- very self aware, respectful, and admirable. Honestly I feel that the loss to Conor back at 145 lbs improved him as a fighter and all-around person. He talked about it rather candidly after the fact. I still don't get why he was so bizarrely disrespectful towards Johnson (which he lost), but he has otherwise acquitted himself very well generally imo.

One evening in college I was at a bar with a friend. There were no good looking females there, so my friend starts hitting on this fat chick.

I said “Dan, you do pretty well with the ladies, why are you hitting on fat chicks?”

“Practice” - He says.

Play the numbers. You pull that slot machine enough times, it’ll hit eventually.

True, 100% of winners have played.

Not sure why people have an issue with the guillotine attempts. Dustin repeatedly used them to his advantage in grappling exchanges

Not sure why people have an issue with the guillotine attempts. Dustin repeatedly used them to his advantage in grappling exchanges

Because they never work, he gasses himself which makes it more dangerous to him. He was lucky Hooker doesnt have much of a ground game but it was deadly against Khabib.

I think he does it to use it as a deterrent. Getting the submission is one thing, tiring the guy out and making him work is another. It won't work against khabib. It gassed out hooker to some degree.

He should probably rethink that strategy though with upper eschelon of guys. I can see why he kept going for it against hooker, it worked as a deterrent plus he had him in full guard, he had no where to go. He almost had him a few times. But I don't think doing this against tony, khabib, gaethje, etc will work. So maybe he should rethink it. Might work on al iaquinta or kevin lee. just not top class.

Last edited:
Because they never work, he gasses himself which makes it more dangerous to him. He was lucky Hooker doesnt have much of a ground game but it was deadly against Khabib.
Define "never work"

Simply failing to result in a tap doesn't mean it wasn't effective. Specific to the Hooker fight, Dustin was using the attempts to his advantage. I don't expect you to take my word for it or rewatch the entire fight but I can copypasta excerpts from the pbp

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...173613#dustin-poirier-(156)-dan-hooker-(1555)
Hooker shoots in for a takedown, and Poirier snatches up a guillotine choke as he falls to his back. It is tight, and Hooker can only pray as he tries to pull his head free but endsup in a worse position as Poirier rolls on top.
Poirier sits against the cage and walks his way up by threatening with a choke, and Hooker tries to connect with him on the way up.
Poirier defends from another takedown with a guillotine choke, but Hooker pulls his head out. This allows Poirier to stand back up quickly, and “The Diamond” shoots in for his own.
Poirier gets back to his knee, and stands back up, but the Kiwi changes levels for a takedown. Poirier sees the attempt and jumps guard for a guillotine choke, and this one is fairly tight.
He walks Poirier down, and manages to take Poirier down for a moment. Poirier uses his guillotine setup to stand back up, but allows Hooker to take his back briefly.
Poirier turns out and stings him with two punches. Hooker shoots low once more, and Poirier staves it off with the guillotine.

Especially for a guy like Poirier with weak TDD, the guillotines were significant and likely negated Hooker's would-be-point-scoring panic TDs in the eyes of the judges

Define "never work"

Simply failing to result in a tap doesn't mean it wasn't effective. Specific to the Hooker fight, Dustin was using the attempts to his advantage. I don't expect you to take my word for it or rewatch the entire fight but I can copypasta excerpts from the pbp

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...173613#dustin-poirier-(156)-dan-hooker-(1555)

Especially for a guy like Poirier with weak TDD, the guillotines were significant and likely negated Hooker's would-be-point-scoring panic TDs in the eyes of the judges

Yes I was comparing his guillotines for the Khabib fight and then the Hooker fight, he tried gassed his arms then got submitted by khabib, tried again in the hooker fight couple of times, again didnt work and used a lot of energy. In the end it didnt really matter but it could have cost him. He tried, failed, but kept going for them anyway.

Back