Plinkett: The Last Jedi

CIXhTjm.jpg

Ban for posting my private pictures imo

Movies that i know ill never see are the best spoiler full reviews, specifically from RLM.

I was one of the millions that got duped into paying to see last jedi, so im all in due to my TrueBias.

I normally agree with this - I love watching RLM reviews of terrible movies I haven't seen - but in this case, it's a film shitting all over something I love, so the fact that I have hardly any visual memories of it is something I'd maybe like to preserve.

But we shouldn't laugh at commiseration. That's just mean.
I'm more with Rich.
It's just SW. The shine has been off for a while, and TBH I'm ready to move on from it.
It's just a brand coasting on nostalgia these days.

Rich is correct that it's a limited little universe they can't do much with, because SW has to have light sabers, Stormtroopers, magical space wizards, a special child of destiny, and a bad guy in black armor. That's the license, and it's what the fanboys want forever and ever until we're all dead.

Rich is correct that it's a limited little universe they can't do much with, because SW has to have light sabers, Stormtroopers, magical space wizards, a special child of destiny, and a bad guy in black armor. That's the license, and it's what the fanboys want forever and ever until we're all dead.
Pfuff. That's all films.

All films abide a formulaic structure, and pointing out/criticizing the formula is no special feat, even sustained for longer than three minutes on youtube. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he put a lot of effort into his video and that's great. The main thing about dealing with sprawling fictional universes is that it only takes one good film. No matter how bad any franchise gets, fans will always uphold their best remembered parts of it. They won't forget the trash either, but largely the trash is DEFINED by the best.

Yes, it's just STAR WARS -- and, further, yes it's only film. If it matters a lot to someone, then it can't be diminished.

No, it isn't, and no, they don't. That assertion is silly.

Don't tell Tarantino.
Your face is silly. And Tarantino knows, which is why his films comprise his favorite parts from other films, including now his own. Plus feet.

Pfuff. That's all films.

All films abide a formulaic structure, and pointing out/criticizing the formula is no special feat, even sustained for longer than three minutes on youtube. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he put a lot of effort into his video and that's great. The main thing about dealing with sprawling fictional universes is that it only takes one good film. No matter how bad any franchise gets, fans will always uphold their best remembered parts of it. They won't forget the trash either, but largely the trash is DEFINED by the best.

Yes, it's just STAR WARS -- and, further, yes it's only film. If it matters a lot to someone, then it can't be diminished.

Even though we disagree on TLJ, I totally agree with this. If TLJ succeeded or failed, it’s not because ‘it’s SW’. Every film has to sink or swim on its own merit, and the franchise, genre, or even medium its within can’t really be a reason for greatness, or an excuse for failure.

Your face is silly. And Tarantino knows, which is why his films comprise his favorite parts from other films, including now his own. Plus feet.
My face is silly?

"What's wrong with your face?"

I'm trying to think of things all movies share.
Simple stuff like location scouts and casting people. An attached director. Actors, dialogue (with one? notable exception).

As far as story and film structure, no. Non traditional editing and scene arrangement, story development and script, have produced the best films there are, Kubrick

My face is silly?

"What's wrong with your face?"

Simple stuff like location scouts and casting people. An attached director. Actors, dialogue (with one? notable exception).

As far as story and film structure, no. Non traditional editing and scene arrangement, story development and script, have produced the best films there are, Kubrick

There’s a million gajillions you can do within that framework though. And even Kubrick’s weirdest, or Lynch’s farthest out or whatever, still has kind of a verse and a chorus within them. There are buildups & payoffs, there is structure, even when it’s loose. More to the point, a filmmaker can take a ‘tired’ or ‘played-out’ genre or structure and still make something great, if it is simply great. We always like great. Great never gets old. Or it gets oldly great.

There’s a million gajillions you can do within that framework though. And even Kubrick’s weirdest, or Lynch’s farthest out or whatever, still has kind of a verse and a chorus within them. There are buildups & payoffs, there is structure, even when it’s loose. More to the point, a filmmaker can take a ‘tired’ or ‘played-out’ genre or structure and still make something great, if it is simply great. We always like great. Great never gets old. Or it gets oldly great.
Idk mang

El Topo may have a structure but I can't describe it. Or a film like Ryan's Babe the BOTW bunch reviewed. "How am I supposed to summarize a film that has no noticeable structure?"

I would accept the statement "Most films that work for a broad audience generally follow a traditional three act structure."

It's good not to know these things, but it's no secret STAR WARS draws its framework from Joseph Campbell's HERO OF A THOUSAND FACES and the Hero's Journey. Listen to Jodie Foster's commentary on, I believe, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS; she essentially walks through this character process.

All adventure films follow the model wherein a village is beset by some huge problem, one brave soul sets off to acquire the panacea at great personal cost, aided by a wizardly type who offers the essential information, trials, tribulations, turmoil, and returns to the village saving everyone but through the course of his or her journey has been irrevocably changed and no longer belongs.

People pick up on this structure after a few films, and that's why sometimes a latter film may seem very predictable even though you've never seen it before.
El Topo may have a structure but I can't describe it.
EL TOPO has definitely a weird material, but it's not much different from the Hero's Journey outlined above. It's a good example of how gonzo a simple formula can be rendered.

Idk mang

El Topo may have a structure but I can't describe it. Or a film like Ryan's Babe the BOTW bunch reviewed. "How am I supposed to summarize a film that has no noticeable structure?"

I would accept the statement "Most films that work for a broad audience generally follow a traditional three act structure."

It's not even the point though, 'how far can one stray from structure'; the point (to me anyways) as it relates to TLJ is, the structure of being a SW film in that franchise, is not an excuse to be stale. There are a lot of writer / directors who could have done something truly incredible with that opportunity. RYE-UHN gets no pass, or sympathy from me.

I normally agree with this - I love watching RLM reviews of terrible movies I haven't seen - but in this case, it's a film shitting all over something I love, so the fact that I have hardly any visual memories of it is something I'd maybe like to preserve.
I truly dont know if youre preserving anything and possibly doing yourself a disservice to not participate in a ritual true star wars fans are enjoying.

Fun fact, when people say "star wars fan boys," those oddballs that like last jedi are fan boys too.

giphy.gif

See, even the jokes stick to the same old formula.

I truly dont know if youre preserving anything and possibly doing yourself a disservice to not participate in a ritual true star wars fans are enjoying.

Fun fact, when people say "star wars fan boys," those oddballs that like last jedi are fan boys too.

One of the greatest things about the classic Plinkett Phantom Menace review, on top of just being a well-made short film in its own right, was that it took the lump of coal George Lucas shoved down our throats, this thing we'd all been carrying around in the pit of our stomachs, & turned it into a diamond. It actually made this big cultural disaster into something good, almost worth it. It was downright cathartic. I still rewatch that entire review from time to time, it's cleansing.

In this case though, I dodged the bullet that a lot of other SW fans ran into with TLJ, so while I share the collective disdain for what it did to SW, I don't actually have any TLJ rape memories that I desperately need to have converted by RLM.

I'm sure it would serve to be a nice dissection of a bad movie, but it would also come at the cost of seeing a lot of it. I'd rather just watch them take apart the new schlock of the week, like Slender Man.

Back